A few nuggets from yesterday's (8-12-17) scrimmage

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Just a few nuggets from yesterday... not a lot of specifics but here's what I've got:

--- The studs didn't play much. Not a lot to prove at this point and Campbell didn't want to risk getting guys hurt. The scrimmage really focused on depth - filling out the two-deep and the guys behind them.

--- I guess DeShaunte Jones was insane when he did play yesterday.

--- I asked specifically about Ray Lima just because as always, I am concerned about the defensive line. Birdies continue to chirp that he is the "real deal." One source says he's already better than Demond Tucker was. Really helps his cause that he was in for the spring.

--- Hearing Tongumoa might get here on Monday and should be eligible. That's fluid. Stay tuned.

--- Sounds like RS Fr. WR Jalen Martin stood out yesterday.

That's all I've got for now. Not a lot but enough to chew on for your Sunday afternoon.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
There was a penalty nearly every other play. Offense hasn't really found its stride yet. Which isn't much of a surprise, easier for a defense to be good in August than the offense.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
There was a penalty nearly every other play. Offense hasn't really found its stride yet. Which isn't much of a surprise, easier for a defense to be good in August than the offense.

I'd like to see some of the coaches, specifically CMC, come out and talk about some of the things we're not doing well right now and need to get corrected pronto. I get a bit worried, and reminded of the Rhoads era too, when I hear all these glowing remarks every day from all the coaches. I understand them wanting to get everyone excited and buying tickets, but now and then I'd like to see someone come up to the mic and say.... "we stunk out there in practice today. It wasn't acceptable at all. Too many dropped passes, too many missed tackles, and too many stupid penalties. Lack of focus. We'll get it corrected though, trust me.".

I know in practice it isn't all sunshine and rainbows, and there is a lot of a** chewing going on, I guess I'd just like to hear one of them look a little displeased in these interviews once in a while too for some reason. I'm weird like that.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
The ol' "dont celebrare the TD just yet" mind set, eh?

Im right there with ya
It's funny you mention this. My girlfriend is not a football fan but I have forced fed her some things about Iowa State so she can understand the mindset of our fan base.

At one point she asked me after a positive play had occured why I wasn't celebrating. The scars run deep...

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I'd like to see some of the coaches, specifically CMC, come out and talk about some of the things we're not doing well right now and need to get corrected pronto. I get a bit worried, and reminded of the Rhoads era too, when I hear all these glowing remarks every day from all the coaches. I understand them wanting to get everyone excited and buying tickets, but now and then I'd like to see someone come up to the mic and say.... "we stunk out there in practice today. It wasn't acceptable at all. Too many dropped passes, too many missed tackles, and too many stupid penalties. Lack of focus. We'll get it corrected though, trust me.".

I know in practice it isn't all sunshine and rainbows, and there is a lot of a** chewing going on, I guess I'd just like to hear one of them look a little displeased in these interviews once in a while too for some reason. I'm weird like that.

Isn't there enough of that from certain posters on this board already? There is a certain fatalist faction that just want their worst fears to be confirmed.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

Personally, I'd rather not make specific weaknesses public information a few weeks before the season starts. I mean, it wouldn't matter a whole lot either way, but still.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
USC offense yesterday in their scrimmage had a total of like 8 yards or something like that....Defense is always ahead of offense as they know everything that is coming..lol. And from the sounds of it most of the starters didnt even play so really who cares how many penalties there were. Least of my concerns is false starts etc..at this point.

Last...this staff to this point hasnt really been sunshine pumpers like CPR staff was..

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
This time of year is always tough. I mean, it is pretty rare for any - not just at ISU - coach to just say, "we suck" three weeks before the season.

Although if I were ever to advise a coach, I would coach them to keep expectations as low as possible this time of year. If you think you're going to go 7-5, you should want your fans to expect 5-7. It's good for job security and fan morale.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Does anyone know if Rhoads would keep our experienced players out of scrimmages to try and protect from injuries? Curious if this is something that's new with this staff or common practice among coaching staffs.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Does anyone know if Rhoads would keep our experienced players out of scrimmages to try and protect from injuries? Curious if this is something that's new with this staff or common practice among coaching staffs.
Almost every coach does. No idea why Rhoads had so many injuries. Probably not worth wracking our brains over it anymore.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

I don't think he did, but not sure. As far as I am concerned, it is a good idea, especially at ISU, where injuries tend to happen more often, and usually in the same position group. The OL in particular has had a lot of fall camp injuries.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Don't know what it is about DeShaunte Jones, the guy isn't super fast, or super strong. He is very shifty, just seems to make plays, and opposing defenders look silly. Really looking forward to him getting more touches this year.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

wtf.gif

• Winner
Reactions: Cydkar