A crack at Big 12 final standings and tournament seeding

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Here is my attempt at predicting the rest of the Big 12 games and seeding for the Big 12 tournament. This is assuming KU beats Texas tonight which it looks like that will easily happen. Here are the standings I predict.

1) Kansas 16-2
2) Oklahoma 12-6 Wins tiebreaker over ISU and OU due to record between OU&ISU
3) ISU 12-6 Wins tiebreaker over Texas due to record between OU&UT
4) Texas 12-6
5) K-State 11-7
6) WVU 8-10
7) Baylor 7-11 Wins tiebreaker over OSU due to head to head vs OSU
8) OSU 7-11
9) Tech 5-13
10) TCU 0-18

To explain why the win over Tech is what gave us the edge over OU. We split our series with OU and tied our record with each team going from top to bottom until Tech where we swept them and OU split. (wow, I know!)

In this scenario the Big 12 tournament bracket is as followed

1) KU vs winner of 8) OSU / 9) Tech

4) Texas vs 5) K-State

2) Oklahoma vs winner of 7) Baylor / 10) TCU

3) Iowa State vs 6) West Virginia

I just did this for fun so don't rag on me if you don't agree! Hope you all enjoy! Go Cyclones! :cool:

Last edited:

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
My picks:
OSU over TCU, KU over OU, KSU over Tech, ISU over WVU, UT over BU, WVU over TCU, BU over Tech, OU over UT, KSU over ISU, KU over OSU, OSU over KSU, ISU over BU, UT over TCU, KU over Tech, OU over WVU, KU over WVU, KSU over BU, ISU over OSU, UT over Tech, OU over TCU.

KCMOCy

Jun 20, 2011
Cedar Rapids, IA
Actually I think it would be 2. ISU 3. OU and 4. Texas in that case. In three way ties it first goes to records against each other. Since that would make Texas 0-2 against OU, that drops them to 4th. Then ISU wins the tie breaker over OU because of their record against Tech.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Actually I think it would be 2. ISU 3. OU and 4. Texas in that case. In three way ties it first goes to records against each other. Since that would make Texas 0-2 against OU, that drops them to 4th. Then ISU wins the tie breaker over OU because of their record against Tech.
Hmm.. you may be right! Here is the tiebreaker procedure if you want to check it out. Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship Seeding and Tiebreaker Procedures - Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site Let's figure this out! I did my picks based on who SHOULD win and gave the benefit of the doubt to the teams that would hurt ISU's seeding yet ISU still fares pretty well.

Edit: here's how it reads for ties between more than 2 teams.

1. Results of collective head-to-head competition during the regular season among the tied teams (mini round-robin).

So yes you are right. It would be OU, ISU, then UT. I'll get that updated!

Last edited:

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Also switch Baylor and OSU in the standings. Baylor wins the head-to-head against them.
Got it! Yeah the bracket generator is much easier haha

bracket_image.php

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
Can't imagine OSU V KU in the first round game. Somebody could have made huge money putting that out there as a bet.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Can't imagine OSU V KU in the first round game. Somebody could have made huge money putting that out there as a bet.
I don't think anybody who was sane would have but there is an excellent chance of that happening. With how close OSU played KU in Lawrence, I wouldn't be surprised to see OSU make it a game.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Here is my attempt at predicting the rest of the Big 12 games and seeding for the Big 12 tournament. This is assuming KU beats Texas tonight which it looks like that will easily happen. Here are the standings I predict.

1) Kansas 16-2
2) Oklahoma 12-6 Wins tiebreaker over ISU and OU due to record between OU&ISU
3) ISU 12-6 Wins tiebreaker over Texas due to record between OU&UT
4) Texas 12-6
5) K-State 11-7
6) WVU 8-10
7) Baylor 7-11 Wins tiebreaker over OSU due to head to head vs OSU
8) OSU 7-11
9) Tech 5-13
10) TCU 0-18

To explain why the win over Tech is what gave us the edge over OU. We split our series with OU and tied our record with each team going from top to bottom until Tech where we swept them and OU split. (wow, I know!)

In this scenario the Big 12 tournament bracket is as followed

1) KU vs winner of 8) OSU / 9) Tech

4) Texas vs 5) K-State

2) Oklahoma vs winner of 7) Baylor / 10) TCU

3) Iowa State vs 6) West Virginia

I just did this for fun so don't rag on me if you don't agree! Hope you all enjoy! Go Cyclones! :cool:

Looks like we need to win the next four.:cool::cool::cool::cool:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Until someone not named Kansas beats us at home, I'm not expecting a home loss.

This. Its been what, since hoiberg's first year that a current big 12 team not named kansas has won here? I will never 'expect' a loss at home.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
We have lost 4 home games since Royce's year. 1 UNI 1 Missouri 2 Kansas.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
If we just split the two road games, we are pretty much guaranteed at least the 3 seed.

That's what I was working through as well. If ISU goes 12-6 (which is 3-1 down the stretch) I don't see a realistic way that we would end up with worse than a 3 seed.

I think a 2 is quite a bit better than a 3, because 2's get to play a team that had to play the day before (the 7/10 winner), but at the same time a 3 is much, much better than a 4.

Get a 3 and be decent favorites over the 6 on Thursday... play essentially a toss-up game against a team that we have beaten this year on Friday... and if all goes well, take national center stage on Saturday night against Kansas for the chance at a tournament title and potential #2 seed in the NCAA's.

Last edited: