80th anniverary . . . can we not wonder?

• Presidential Race Discussion - Please make sure to keep all discussion within the "Politics Forum" in order to keep the main forums civil and politics-free.
    You can opt-in to the Political Forum in your user settings - note that the change may take up to 2 hours to process.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Does anyone care?

Saving Private Ryan, Omaha Beach

CBS News - Ike returns to Normandy 20 years later
(Last scene with General and Order of Battle worth watching)

Here's an outstanding CNN interview by Amanpour with Tom Hanks. They're at the American Cemetary. Included is Hanks' comments about shooting Omaha Beach scene in Saving Private Ryan. (I had to unblock ad blockers to play CNN video.)

Last edited:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Just finished Masters of the Sky which led into Normandy.

Band of Brothers is the best series of all time though.

I wish I could get Masters of the Sky.

The Pacific was amazing but yeah BOB is still my favorite. Every time I watch just such a sense of pride. What heroes those guys were.

My great uncle (died 6 years ago) was a combat vet in WW2 and when asked about his time in the war he just simply said "It was just something you had to do". Didn't want any recognition is whole life.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I wish I could get Masters of the Sky.

The Pacific was amazing but yeah BOB is still my favorite. Every time I watch just such a sense of pride. What heroes those guys were.

My great uncle (died 6 years ago) was a combat vet in WW2 and when asked about his time in the war he just simply said "It was just something you had to do". Didn't want any recognition is whole life.

I’d put Masters of the Sky on the same level as The Pacific. I also put Generation Kill right there with it which nobody talks about. It’s an HBO series about the first invasion of the second Iraq war.

wintersmd

Jul 2, 2014
I care deeply. The courage these brave Warriors displayed must not only be recognized but must also be taught in our schools. We Americans need to understand what these brave men gave up for us so that we can live free. We also need to understand that we can not sit on our own little island and think we will stat free. We must stay keep and develop and strengthen our relationships with allies.

My grandfather fought and was wounded in the south Pacific. He never talked about the war only saying it was a daily accomplishment if you lived through the day.

Thank you ALL that have served to protect our freedoms.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
wifes grandpa was part of the 82nd airborne. 18 years old and dropped in.

missed the drop zone and landed in a body of water of some sort, of course it was pitch black. he couldn't swim so started walking one direction, felt the water rising up his chest, turned around and walked the other direction.

he was presumed dead but he was actually hiding out in a woman's attic for a little over a week. she fed him and kept him hidden as german soldiers would show up to her door looking.

one day he heard noise, and looked out the small window from the attic and it wasn't the Germans, this time, it was the americans.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
The truth and sacrifice behind those who were there is truly amazing. BoB is just an amazing mini series. Characters, story telling, all of that.

What's even more impressive to me (especially as an engineer) is the logistics behind the war. The ability of the USA to effectively mobilize all of the industrial resources we had is borderline unfathomable.

• Agree
Reactions: CyValley and 0u812

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I hope people still care. The amount of sacrifice those heroes gave can never be forgotten

Very true. And most of them rarely talked about it and very few ever expected anything in return for what they did. Not only should they always be remembered and honored but they should also serve as a reminder that war of any kind is not pretty.

• Agree
Reactions: CyValley

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Very true. And most of them rarely talked about it and very few ever expected anything in return for what they did. Not only should they always be remembered and honored but they should also serve as a reminder that war of any kind is not pretty.

It was decades before my grandpa talked about it with the family and it was actually grandkids for a school history project that got his stories.

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
wifes grandpa was part of the 82nd airborne. 18 years old and dropped in.

missed the drop zone and landed in a body of water of some sort, of course it was pitch black. he couldn't swim so started walking one direction, felt the water rising up his chest, turned around and walked the other direction.

he was presumed dead but he was actually hiding out in a woman's attic for a little over a week. she fed him and kept him hidden as german soldiers would show up to her door looking.

one day he heard noise, and looked out the small window from the attic and it wasn't the Germans, this time, it was the americans.
That’s an amazing story and only proves more how lucky we are now to have men and women like that who gave everything for us today.

• Agree
Reactions: CyValley