80s Music

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Yeah - there were a LOT of songs that became radio hits because MTV played the crap out of a video that was unique/cool/weird/whatever. I'd like to think that "Take On Me" would have still broken through at US radio without that particular video, but I don't know that it ever would have gone to #1. "The Sun Always Shines On TV" was a good song that rode the coattails of "Take On Me." At least A-ha can say they (technically) weren't a one hit wonder in the US, since it reached #20 on the Hot 100 and was a top 10 entry on the Billboard Dance Club Songs and Dance Singles Sales charts.

Another factor that is sometimes overlooked in 80s radio success was a song's inclusion on a movie soundtrack. The 80s were HUGE for move soundtrack songs. It continued in the 90s, but had dropped off considerably by the end of that decade. You consider some of the movies that produces multiple radio hits from popular films: Footloose, Flashdance, Top Gun, Purple Rain, Beverly Hills Cop I & II, etc. Every week, the Hot 100 was littered with soundtrack singles. It was kind of incredible.

John Hughes was good at finding great music to go with his films

Reactions: Buster28

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I apologize if this thread already exists, but I’m curious as to what everybody’s favorite song from the 80s is as well as favorite group. Song is tough, Everybody Wants to Rule the World will never get old for me. As far as group I’d say Genesis. Phil Collins is an all-timer.
I'm with you with Everybody Wants to Rule the World. The summer that song came out I was at the pool almost every afternoon and it feels like that song was playing on a loop. Plus that song is tied to a quintessential 80s movie Real Genius. That said, Appetite for Destruction was by far the most influential 80s music for me. I was just blown away when I heard that whole album. That and stumbling across my brothers 2 Live Crew tape were transformative experiences for me. Lol!

I was born in 79 so I was a true child of the 80s. I look back on so much of that decade fondly, but have a lot of trouble taking any of it seriously. There is a lot about that decade that has a "so bad it's good" vibe. 90s was definitely a better pop culture decade.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I have a bunch of Satriani's music. Didn't really know him until I got the soundtrack to "Say Anything." I think I have about ten of his albums now. Got to see him in concert twice, met him once when he toured for "Flying In A Blue Dream." Lords of Karma, Can't Slow Down, Summer Song, and One Big Rush are my favorite tracks from him.

Reactions: Turn2

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Early 80s was fulllll of soft rock...this is the best of that

This (the song title) reminds me of Peter Cetera type 80’s stuff. such great 80’s. The change in sound of Chicago followed by Ceteras solo stuff is amazing 80’s Mellow Gold. Benny Mardones is another one.

I’m a huge Christopher Cross fan as well.

I never got in to the hair metal stuff until later but “Don’t Close Your Eyes” by Kixx was one of my favorite ballads. The ballads were great.

Reactions: Buster28

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Best song from the 80s:

My favorite group from the 80s was INXS. But I was just a kid back then. Lots of great music from the 80s and also lots of crap. Just like every decade.

Reactions: Turn2

Help Support Us

Become a patron