***#8 Iowa State vs. Grand View; Daktronics Open (Sunday)***

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The Matchup: No. 8 Iowa State (4-0, 1-0 Big 12) vs. Grand View (1-0, 1-0 HAAC)
Where: Humboldt High School - Humboldt, Iowa
When: Sunday, Nov. 20 – 2 p.m.
Watch: Rokfin
Live Stats: TrackWrestling

IOWA STATE PREVIEW | GRAND VIEW WEBSITE

PROJECTED LINEUPS
Wt.​
IOWA STATE​
GRAND VIEW (last dual lineup)​
125TerukinaTBD
133Redding or AttasauovTaylor
141SwiderskiRuffridge
149JohnsonAnderson
157KraisserBonilla
165CarrMargolis
174Broderson or GaitanLuellen
184ColemanLee
197BastidaBraungardt
HWTSchuylerHagan

DAKTRONICS OPEN (Brookings, S.D.)

What:
Daktronics Open
Where: Brookings, S.D. - Frost Arena
When: Sunday, Nov. 20 - 9 a.m.
Watch: Jackrabbits All-Access
Follow: FloArena

Iowa State Entries
125: Ethan Perryman, Conor Knopick*, Corey Cabanban*
133: Evan Frost, Sam Hrabovsky*
141: Jacob Frost, Drew Woodley*, Damon Huston*
149: Cam Robinson*, Andrew Flora*
157: Andrew Huddleston*
165: Grant Stotts*, Carter Schmidt*
174: Caleb Helgeson, Manny Rojas, Joel Devine*
184: Cody Fisher*
197: Rowan Udell
*Competing unattached

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Redding in doghouse or just get beat?
I would assume it would be to make a point about the weight cut. Or maybe he didn't do it right this week again. Just guessing. Dresser said you do it right or he will find someone that is. I do understand that this is a huge cut for Redding and takes a lot of discipline

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
So, when part of the team is wrestling a dual, and another part of the team is at a tournament, do they split up the coaching staff to have someone at each place? To be more specific, do one or more of the coaches go with the wrestlers to Brookings this weekend?

Proton

SuperFanatic
Aug 19, 2019
I would assume it would be to make a point about the weight cut. Or maybe he didn't do it right this week again. Just guessing. Dresser said you do it right or he will find someone that is. I do understand that this is a huge cut for Redding and takes a lot of discipline
Does anyone know if there is a limit on how much a wrestler is allowed to cut? I mean, is there a minimum allowable body fat percentage or something like that? I don't mean to imply that Redding or anyone else is cutting too much - just curious.

Reactions: Iowastate28

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Does anyone know if there is a limit on how much a wrestler is allowed to cut? I mean, is there a minimum allowable body fat percentage or something like that? I don't mean to imply that Redding or anyone else is cutting too much - just curious.
Yes there is a body fat limit. There are ways to game that, but iirc it used to be around 4% in college.

Reactions: Proton

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Yes there is a body fat limit. There are ways to game that, but iirc it used to be around 4% in college.
Idk what the rules are anymore but Pretty sure you can get a waiver to go below that as well. I had to get one in HS to get down to where my spot was.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

There are calculations made at the beginning of the season to determine the wrestler's lowest allowable weight. They will "certify" at a weight class based on these calculations. There are two acceptable formulas -- one is 5% body fat, the other is a loss-over-time.

Of those two formulas, the higher number is the "minimum wrestling weight", which then leads to determining the wrestler's minimum weight class.

During the season, the weight-loss limit is 1.5% per week.

So, someone who has certified at 133 would be allowed to weigh-in/wrestle at 141 during the season. However, to get down to 133 for postseason, they'd have to take a month to get from 141 to 133 following the 1.5%/week rule.

• Informative
Reactions: Proton and matclone

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Couldn’t believe Gomez won those scrambles against the best scrambler in the world.

Man I love college wrestling
Think Yianni’s been doing a little too much freestyle. Knew it was dangerous when Gomez got to that seat belt position. There is no one better at getting to a body lock and finishing than him.

CycloneFan97

Jun 19, 2017
I said this in the Rankings thread, but Parco has to be #1 now right? Gomez, Sasso, and Mauller all have losses

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Wisconsin just beat Cornell in Ithaca (19-13) so Badgers are not a fluke and our win looks pretty large.
I agree. A lot of teams are going to be able to beat Cornell if Yianni loses.