6/30 Weather

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Channel 13 is reporting some areas have received 6-8 inches of rain tonight. Here in Grimes I am betting we are in the 2-3 range at least if Polk City got 4+. River going down our street right now and water is up into our driveway. Wife heard that apparently the Hobby Lobby roof collapsed on Merle Hay Road from the weight of the water, hearing 2-3 feet deep water on Merle Hay Road as well and they showed a shot of I 35 around Ankeny that looks like a parking lot.

What kind of weather have you seen tonight if you live in Central Iowa? Sure is not good news for flooding with Saylorville Lake already pretty high.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Just consistent rain in north Ames, nothing to write home about for now though. My wife's parents in Urbandale said they had water up past the tires of cars parked in the street.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Just heard on Ch 13 some parts of Ankeny got up to 10 inches of rain. Wow!

I will say 1 thing whoever built our house did a damn good job with the waterproofing of the basement. Barely have anything in our sump pit. I'm usually having to put water down it to make sure the pump still works. Our old house in Beaverdale after a rain like this I probably would have the shop vac out right now and sump pump running constantly.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Wow, that is terrible. There are tons of 6-10” totals coming in. You’d think we were talking about snow with those numbers.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Does anyone know if there is flooding in Urbandale/Johnston?

Based off what I have seen I'm sure there is. At least 4-7 inches of rain based off the totals coming in that area.

Flood gates down on 63rd and Grand Ave and evacuation orders along Walnut Creek in Clive. Tire deep water in WDM at 50th and EP True. More rain coming with possibly 1-2 more inches coming. Could be a long night for some folks.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
10 inches in Ankeny. Can't say I've ever seen that before in a 6 hour span; very lucky my sump pump has kept up

Reactions: jdcyclone19

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
10 inches in Ankeny. Can't say I've ever seen that before in a 6 hour span; very lucky my sump pump has kept up

I hear ya, I am watching videos of water in Beaverdale basements on channel 8 right now and very thankful we aren't in our old home right now because we never had that kind of rain there in the nearly 10 years we lived there and I bet whoever is there now is dealing with water in the basement. It was 2.5 miles to Merle Hay Mall and that area just got pounded with rain tonight.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Does anyone know if there is flooding in Urbandale/Johnston?

Yeah, lots of it.

This is probably the worst flash flooding in the metro in a long, long time. This amount of rain will cause flash flooding every where.

I’ve read reports of roads collapse.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I hear ya, I am watching videos of water in Beaverdale basements on channel 8 right now and very thankful we aren't in our old home right now because we never had that kind of rain there in the nearly 10 years we lived there and I bet whoever is there now is dealing with water in the basement. It was 2.5 miles to Merle Hay Mall and that area just got pounded with rain tonight.
My Beaverdale basement would be much dryer if the power would come back on and my sump pumps could start working. Currently about 3 inches of standing water. :(

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
My Beaverdale basement would be much dryer if the power would come back on and my sump pumps could start working. Currently about 3 inches of standing water. :(

Sorry to hear that. I bought a backup sump pump and generator years ago that I thankfully have never had to use but my neighbor may have to as their sump has failed tonight.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron