5pm Press Conf?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
You can't always assume that some booster is going to make up the difference. That is a slippery slope to go down.
If you were a multi-millionaire investing a ton of money into your favorite college's athletic department and you wanted a certain coach, would you be willing to part ways with the money if you had it to get the coach you want?

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
If you were a multi-millionaire investing a ton of money into your favorite college's athletic department and you wanted a certain coach, would you be willing to part ways with the money if you had it to get the coach you want?
Yes, but then the other school's multi-millionaire booster would go higher... and back and forth.

I think you are giving these "multi-millionaire" boosters way too much credit. I don't think there have been too many million dollar gifts to the ISU athletic department.

Most of them probably have been for facilities...

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
This is so sobering as a reminder where Iowa State sits in the college sports hierarchy. We just lost CAEL SANDERSON. Good god...

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
That's more than Paterno. I don't think it could possibly be true. When the economy is in flux like it is today there is no way a state university is going to come out and offer $2million + more than any coach has ever made per year.

$500K is maybe more believable. Maybe he wants the challenge of building a dynasty in a place where wrestling is not as historically successful.

2.5 for 5 yrs.=500k a year

clonefan1

Aug 7, 2006
Your rite of course this is both ISU's past and future!!!

Where's Jamie the talker when we need a word of encouragement of how we're looking at such a bright future with all the championships we're gonna win?

Where in the **** is Pollard anyway??

Pollard isn't saying anything because he knows he very well could be the problem!

Todd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Man, I bet Pollard's getting sick of emotional PC's.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
Maybe Cael recognized he wasn't ready as a head coach and can't get the team to the next level, so his love for the program and the school is causing him to step down until he can hone his skills....:jimlad:

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
I kinda actually hope that his PC also includes his resignation too at this point. I dont buy the money arguement for a second.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Why couldn't GMac take his $75,000 automatic raise from the last two years and give the cash to Cael? That's 150 grand right there...

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
Repost. Tell me what else JP is to do.

Seriously, I cannot see how Cael would have issues with the current administration that:
Supported him through a 159-0 collegiate record
Gave him a assistant job to support his family while training to compete for the Olympics
Then gave him prior to probably being ready the HC job at one of the most prestigious wrestling programs in the nation
Made him the highest paid coach in his sport
Allowed him to hire his staff, including his own brother
We allowed Cael every luxury ISU can afford and, if true, it's not enough? Then what is, someone tell me what the AD Dept. isn't doing for this guy?

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
Do we lose our recruits as well? I think so... I highly doubt we ever see Tyler in an ISU uniform.

This is unbelievable. I have to imagine some donors are going nuts right now... hope they correct this between now and the presser. This is not right. I like JP a lot, but between Cael and JP... heck, between Cael and anyone... Cael stays. I say right now you fire JP and find a way to keep Cael before the 5 PM presser.

I was going to go to the spring game tomorrow... now I may not. I may not be attending ISU sports for a long time. Unbelievable.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Fact. Cael Sanderson was the highest paid wrestling coach in the country. Add that in with the fact that he probably made a lot of money on camps and he was living very comfortably.

This would be like Roy Williams leaving UNC to go coach Vanderbilt