5* Culture and 5* players

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It is all part of the process. As ISU keeps getting better, better players will see the clones as an option. I would agree with the original poster, the next step is to get more talent, and I think that is happening, just a a slower rate than fans want.

On the other hand we could say the results have happened very quickly compared to most legit program builds.

Usually it's like 3-8, 5-7, 6-6, etc. by season before breaking through and ISU sky rocketed.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Thing is everything you say is all nice and good but the data and evidence is heavily against winning a national title or really even making the CFP without more 4 and 5 stars. You can have both like people have pointed out with Bama, Clemson and Ohio State.

Texas is what you don’t want and even USC a bit. I would love more highly rated recruits because of the coach we have. Campbell is either a you buy into this culture or you aren’t going to be here. It can be done and I think Matt is one of those coaches that can have both.
Every national title game participant since 2002 has had at least one 5 star recruit on the roster. It would be nice if ISU could break that streak next year, but if you want to consistently get there you need to have some upgrade in talent.

You don't have to go crazy with those guys but if you can find one or two every few years who have the talent and the work ethic and are team first guys they can certainly make the difference.

ISU is far from alone in never having had a 5 star. In the Big 12 Kansas, K-State, and Texas Tech all are 0-fer in 5 stars. In the big 10 Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue, and Minnesota have never had one either.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
On the other hand we could say the results have happened very quickly compared to most legit program builds.

Usually it's like 3-8, 5-7, 6-6, etc. by season before breaking through and ISU sky rocketed.

Yes, we should all be pleased with where we are, considering where we came from. CMC has done an amazing job, but to get to the level of the NCG ISU is going to need a few more difference makers. If you look at the players on ISU that have excelled early, you will see they are mostly guys that were 4 stars or high 3 stars. Purdy, Hall, I. Young, and Hutchinson were all fairly highly regarded, at least compared to other ISU recruits. Mike Rose is certainly a guy that has punched above his weight since coming to ISU, but he is more of a exception.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer and ISUCE

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
The amazing part of Saban’s Alabama is that so many top recruits line up to compete just for playing time. Could have gone to most schools and been playing the 1st or 2nd year, but wanted to compete and constantly get recruited over. It’s no wonder so many Alabama guys have success in the NFL, when they’ve had trial by fire in college.

That will never be the path to success at ISU. Ours is the same path KSU, OkSt, TCU and Iowa take. Good coaches that stick around, a ball control offense and solid D, with a bunch of 3 stars that take time to develop.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
The amazing part of Saban’s Alabama is that so many top recruits line up to compete just for playing time. Could have gone to most schools and been playing the 1st or 2nd year, but wanted to compete and constantly get recruited over. It’s no wonder so many Alabama guys have success in the NFL, when they’ve had trial by fire in college.

That will never be the path to success at ISU. Ours is the same path KSU, OkSt, TCU and Iowa take. Good coaches that stick around, a ball control offense and solid D, with a bunch of 3 stars that take time to develop.
They aren’t there to compete. They are there because of $$$.

• Disagree
Reactions: Halincandenza

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
With everything going on returning 20 of 23 players. I’m drinking the Koolaid, if we have couple more really good years and we start to see the benefits, getting higher rated recruits that fit the Campbell Mold.

Could you imagine what it would be like to have what Bama has 5* Culture and 5* players, not saying we will ever be at that level but are highly rated recruits could make the difference.
Out of curiosity, where does the 20 of 23 starters thing come from? I could understand 22 starters or even 25 starters, but the number 23 is throwing me off. I heard Murph and Andy say the 20 of 23 starters return thing yesterday too.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Out of curiosity, where does the 20 of 23 starters thing come from? I could understand 22 starters or even 25 starters, but the number 23 is throwing me off. I heard Murph and Andy say the 20 of 23 starters return thing yesterday too.

Agreed! Who is #23?

Place kicker? Punter? Long Snapper? Holder? The 3rd TE? The 2nd WR? Rory Walling? ... it's probably Rory Walling...

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Based on the Fiesta Bowl participation chart, we only return 19 of 22 (Akers, L. White, Bailey)

One could certainly make an argument that Milton is a starter over Akers but that's neither here nor there.

I wouldn't have a problem including the kicker, punter, and long snapper, but I don't understand only including one of them.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I think Campbell will go out and get the very best players he can that also fit our culture. He won’t sacrifice the fit and the culture even in the slightest bit for better talent

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

The F position on offense is the 12th starting spot.
WR Z, X, M
TE
F- Soehner is the only one leaving on O
QB
RB
5 OL

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Based on the Fiesta Bowl participation chart, we only return 19 of 22 (Akers, L. White, Bailey)

One could certainly make an argument that Milton is a starter over Akers but that's neither here nor there.

I wouldn't have a problem including the kicker, punter, and long snapper, but I don't understand only including one of them.

I wouldn't consider Akers a starter. At least not this past year (when he really didn't have a significant role).

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Im sure everyone on this site has noticed that most of are recruits are being recruited by the military academy's/ivy league schools. That can't be a coincidence. CMC seems to be following a blueprint on what he wants in a player. And i gotta say, i trust him. I really believe at best we get 3 or 4 4stars and 7 high 3 stars, then mid 3 stars. We can still be extremely successful. Look at Wisconsin.

Campbell always seems to know quite a bit about the families of his recruits. I think The Process includes some specs about parents!

Reactions: A_storm_is_comin

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Agreed! Who is #23?

Place kicker? Punter? Long Snapper? Holder? The 3rd TE? The 2nd WR? Rory Walling? ... it's probably Rory Walling...

#23 is Coach Campbell!