5* Culture and 5* players

IST8CIVILENGR

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2011
Pittsburg, KS
With everything going on returning 20 of 23 players. I’m drinking the Koolaid, if we have couple more really good years and we start to see the benefits, getting higher rated recruits that fit the Campbell Mold.

Could you imagine what it would be like to have what Bama has 5* Culture and 5* players, not saying we will ever be at that level but are highly rated recruits could make the difference.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Sometimes having 5 star players results in 5 star problems too. Don't get me wrong I would love to start landing more 4 and 5 star recruits with our success but just ask Iowa how that turned out for them not long ago when Kirk had that program at it's peak. Some of these guys have huge egos and off-field problems to manage too. I'll gladly take 3 star guys that this staff can develop into All American caliber players than guys that sometimes come in with baggage and can be cancer in the locker room.

I look at this current roster and see how this staff saw something in guys like Purdy, Hall, Rose, and Kolar that a lot of other big name schools did not and turned them into the best players at their position in the Big 12 and in the conversation as one of the best at their position nationally. These are the kind of players you want to build a program around who fit Campbell's system both on and off the field and I will gladly take guys that want to get after it and earn every snap they are on the field and perform at a high level than some hyped up recruit that doesn't put in the work those guys will.

Looking at this roster Easton Dean and DeShawn Hanika are 2 guys at TE that don't have impressive offer lists but have the potential to be the next big impact player at TE that plays with a chip on their shoulder like Kolar. Tyler Moore is another TE in the 2021 class that fits this mold too. One thing this staff has done well since they hit the ground running with recruiting the day they were hired are finding guys that they believed in and fit the system. They have built depth in the trenches which is something we always had a problem with too.

I will take results over rankings and this senior class was ranked 55th nationally and 8th in the Big 12 back in 2016 and if you look at the guys they signed they didn't miss on a lot of guys: https://247sports.com/college/iowa-state/Season/2016-Football/Commits/

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Sometimes having 5 star players results in 5 star problems too. Don't get me wrong I would love to start landing more 4 and 5 star recruits with our success but just ask Iowa how that turned out for them not long ago when Kirk had that program at it's peak. Some of these guys have huge egos and off-field problems to manage too. I'll gladly take 3 star guys that this staff can develop into All American caliber players than guys that sometimes come in with baggage and can be cancer in the locker room.

I look at this current roster and see how this staff saw something in guys like Purdy, Hall, Rose, and Kolar that a lot of other big name schools did not and turned them into the best players at their position in the Big 12 and in the conversation as one of the best at their position nationally. These are the kind of players you want to build a program around who fit Campbell's system both on and off the field and I will gladly take guys that want to get after it and earn every snap they are on the field and perform at a high level than some hyped up recruit that doesn't put in the work those guys will.

Looking at this roster Easton Dean and DeShawn Hanika are 2 guys at TE that don't have impressive offer lists but have the potential to be the next big impact player at TE that plays with a chip on their shoulder like Kolar. Tyler Moore is another TE in the 2021 class that fits this mold too. One thing this staff has done well since they hit the ground running with recruiting the day they were hired are finding guys that they believed in and fit the system. They have built depth in the trenches which is something we always had a problem with too.

I will take results over rankings and this senior class was ranked 55th nationally and 8th in the Big 12 back in 2016 and if you look at the guys they signed they didn't miss on a lot of guys: https://247sports.com/college/iowa-state/Season/2016-Football/Commits/
Thing is everything you say is all nice and good but the data and evidence is heavily against winning a national title or really even making the CFP without more 4 and 5 stars. You can have both like people have pointed out with Bama, Clemson and Ohio State.

Texas is what you don’t want and even USC a bit. I would love more highly rated recruits because of the coach we have. Campbell is either a you buy into this culture or you aren’t going to be here. It can be done and I think Matt is one of those coaches that can have both.

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008

Maybe their problems are because Kirk is racist.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Thing is everything you say is all nice and good but the data and evidence is heavily against winning a national title or really even making the CFP without more 4 and 5 stars. You can have both like people have pointed out with Bama, Clemson and Ohio State.

Texas is what you don’t want and even USC a bit. I would love more highly rated recruits because of the coach we have. Campbell is either a you buy into this culture or you aren’t going to be here. It can be done and I think Matt is one of those coaches that can have both.
JFC, are you serious. Iowa State won their first ever new year 6 bowl game 5 minutes ago and you think, Bama, Clemson and Ohio State should be our blueprint??? News flash, WE CAN'T OUT OKLAHOMA, OKLAHOMA!!!

Recruiting is going to go up as long as Campbell stays, but don't think we're suddenly an elite program. I absolutely believe CMC will win CCGs and if the stars are aligned CFP. Just don't be the type of it's never enough until we win it all type of fan that runs the best coach we'll ever have off prematurely. Enjoy the ******* ride.

Last edited:

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
JFC, are you serious. Iowa State won their first ever new year 6 bowl game 5 minutes ago and you think, Bama, Clemson and Ohio State should be our blueprint??? News flash, WE CAN'T OUT OKLAHOMA, OKLAHOMA!!!

Recruiting is going to go up as long as Campbell stays, but don't think we're suddenly an elite program. I absolutely believe CMC will win CCGs and if the stars are aligned CFP. Just don't be the type of it's never enough until we win it all type of fan that runs the best coach we'll ever had off prematurely. Enjoy the ******* ride.
Holy overreaction to my post man. You might want to take some time to chill. Where did I ever say my expectation was to now be winning national titles and playing in CFPs? Please tell me.

I was addressing another poster’s post about not wanting 5 star players because of the headaches they can cause with ego. I merely was pointing out what it takes to be a national championship type of team if we ever wanted to be in that place, which is where Campbell wants us to be. And the data overwhelmingly says recruiting matters and to say otherwise is idiotic.

My post was stating if we ever did start getting 4 and 5 stars consistently, Campbell is that type of coach that could control it and keep the culture plus the talent.

Jesus dude chill the F out. I had the greatest time ever this season and if we win 8-9 games every year I would be ecstatic because of what I knew we used to be.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa

Recruiting is going to go up as long as Campbell stays, but don't think we're suddenly an elite program. I absolutely believe CMC will win CCGs and if the stars are aligned CFP. Just don't be the type of it's never enough until we win it all type of fan that runs the best coach we'll ever had off prematurely. Enjoy the ******* ride.

holy smokes. Ever over react? I think what is being said is we need some more 4 stars to mix with our overlooked three stars. Not that we need a bunch of 4 and 5 star kids. Just saying to compete with the big boys we are going to need to keep upgrading

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
holy smokes. Ever over react? I think what is being said is we need some more 4 stars to mix with our overlooked three stars. Not that we need a bunch of 4 and 5 star kids. Just saying to compete with the big boys we are going to need to keep upgrading
Spot on man. Glad you understood what several of us are talking about in here. Even the elite teams have those guys that aren’t 4-5 stars that get coached and grow into elite players, but look at the CFP every year and even the team that keeps winning the Big 12 in OU. You need players. Now a great coach can help mitigate that, which is exactly what we have. All we are saying is Campbell is that type of coach where if you gave him a roster of 4 stars and some 5 stars that buy into his culture (like Saban has at Alabama and Dabo has at Clemson) he could compete for CFPs and national titles on a consistent basis I believe.

100% agree with you man.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I wouldn’t mind getting g 4-5 4/5* players every year I think there are still good high level recruits. Blend them in and we have a great mixture.

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021

Recruiting is going to go up as long as Campbell stays, but don't think we're suddenly an elite program. I absolutely believe CMC will win CCGs and if the stars are aligned CFP. Just don't be the type of it's never enough until we win it all type of fan that runs the best coach we'll ever have off prematurely. Enjoy the ******* ride.
Amen

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
Im sure everyone on this site has noticed that most of are recruits are being recruited by the military academy's/ivy league schools. That can't be a coincidence. CMC seems to be following a blueprint on what he wants in a player. And i gotta say, i trust him. I really believe at best we get 3 or 4 4stars and 7 high 3 stars, then mid 3 stars. We can still be extremely successful. Look at Wisconsin.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It is all part of the process. As ISU keeps getting better, better players will see the clones as an option. I would agree with the original poster, the next step is to get more talent, and I think that is happening, just a a slower rate than fans want.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron