4th down cheer

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Warder60

Jun 2, 2006
Denver
So I watched USC the other day, and the commentators mentioned something on how intimidating their 4th down song is to the opposing team. And I was thinking about Texas playing "The eyes of Texas are upon you..." for their 4th down.

Think it's about time we get a 4th down established for ourselves.

I talked to a couple friends and our director Mr. Smith. Kind of at a point of Lets get some tune ideas... and see what happens.

Something kinda "congratulatory" for our defense, "taunting" to their offense, and "inviting" to our offense. Kind of a "Here comes the storm .. er cyclone".

First idea is part of the fight song, or one of the other pregame songs - but not that intimidating, and people stand up and start clapping and get all confused.
Second idea: "Thunderstruck" ACDC there's a couple good phrases we could play

Any other ideas? Not promising we'll do this, just an idea we're kickin around.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
All I know is if we ever get a safety, we should play Safety Dance by Men Without Hats.

That would friggin' rule.

bferin

Jul 14, 2006
Do you know if there is any Big XII or NCAA regulations about the band playing while the game is in play?

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
All I know is if we ever get a safety, we should play Safety Dance by Men Without Hats.

That would friggin' rule.
I am going to Mr. Smith tomorrow morning and telling him this one... That's too good to pass up.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
Do you know if there is any Big XII or NCAA regulations about the band playing while the game is in play?

Big XII rules state that if the band is playing during a play, we can be called for a penalty, similar to what happens if one side's fans are being disruptive to the action. Usually, the policy we have is that we stop playing after the team breaks the huddle to come to the line of scrimmage, to avoid the penalization.

rooster

Apr 11, 2006
Riders on the Storm by the Doors

Cyclone... storm... sometimes they are linked

SVT

Nov 9, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Not regarding 4th down in football, but the pep band at basketball - Why doesn't the band play "For I for S" ????? It is our second fight song that nobody knows about. When the band does play it, the students are begining to sing it, but yesturday they only played it once, before the game even started. The weekend we played 3 games, the did not play it a single time.

I think it would be a great tradition for everyone to sing that, much like we do the fight song. The lyrics to "For I for S" are in the Cyclone Alley Handbook and I also noticed were on the Alley Rally's yesturday.

Warder60, could you pass on the request?

Johnny8

Oct 18, 2006
Ames, IA
Rooster, that's a good suggestion! I kept trying to think of a song with cylone/storm in the title but couldn't think of any, and I think that is a very recognizeable song.

aeroclone08

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Wichita, KS
Not regarding 4th down in football, but the pep band at basketball - Why doesn't the band play "For I for S" ????? It is our second fight song that nobody knows about. When the band does play it, the students are begining to sing it, but yesturday they only played it once, before the game even started. The weekend we played 3 games, the did not play it a single time.

I think it would be a great tradition for everyone to sing that, much like we do the fight song. The lyrics to "For I for S" are in the Cyclone Alley Handbook and I also noticed were on the Alley Rally's yesturday.

#41!!!!!!:wink0st:

SVT

Nov 9, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Thanks Aeroclone08 for understanding my pain. It's just tough to start a tradition when the band doesn't play along. and "For I for S" is on Page 41 in the pep band's playbook for anyone in the pep band. Pass the word, play whats on page 41!!!!!!

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD

I'll mention it to our director. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to play that instead of Go Cyclones Go, since the Athletic Dept. has been breathing down our necks for that one due to some...um...questionable student lyrics. For I for S is one of my personal faves, too. The tubas do fun horn moves, as well.

Request received, good sir!

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
Thanks Aeroclone08 for understanding my pain. It's just tough to start a tradition when the band doesn't play along. and "For I for S" is on Page 41 in the pep band's playbook for anyone in the pep band. Pass the word, play whats on page 41!!!!!!

Actually, it's not #41, that's our director making "Four" or "For", and "One", or "I"

It's a hand signal, not a number:wink0st:

galles15

Jun 12, 2006
Ames, orginally from Remsen, IA
one of the reasons for not playing go cyclones go is for the lyrics it has or has been given with, Don't Know the Words, Don't Know the Words to this stupid ****ing song. As of the 4th down or safety I would love to play Thunderstruck for them.

rooster

Apr 11, 2006
I know some other teams do it, but on a big 4th down "Mars: Bringer of War" by Gustav Holst would be a good one for the band to try out.