49ers - Brock Purdy - Still and Always #1

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
49ers have a tough decision this offseason, do they move back to Lance, who has shown nothing, or move on with Purdy and see if it was all smoke and mirrors or is he the future of the franchise?

Without a doubt they will be letting Jimmy G. leave.

Kind of funny that everyone that said it was the coaches and the system not Purdy started playing well, but boy did the backup struggle today with the same coaches and system.
A lot will depend on tomorrows MRI. If Purdy doesn’t need TJ surgery, then I see the 9ers keeping lance and Brock both. Picking up another journeyman incase of injury. Lance has not been very healthy. I see the 9ers also drafting a right tackle in the draft. He is the one who got both QBs smoked.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Agree 100%.

It’s also completely ludicrous to think a pro athlete - all of whom are off the chart competitive - would say “my elbow kind of hurts. Think I’ll sit out this chance to take my team to the super bowl”. Such a dumb take.

These guys regularly play through pain most of us can’t fathom. At this level and in this game - where a trip to the super bowl is what they’ve played their whole lives for - I trust anyone that says “I can’t go, coach”.

Yep Kelce and Mahomes both proved that today. When that report came out about Kelce tweaking his back I still knew he would play. If this was game 3 of the regular season probably not so much. The Super Bowl chance for FB players is a looong ways from guaranteed no matter how good you are. Hell Brock came out and did what he could though the game was done for all practical purposes.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Yep Kelce and Mahomes both proved that today. When that report came out about Kelce tweaking his back I still knew he would play. If this was game 3 of the regular season probably not so much. The Super Bowl chance for FB players is a looong ways from guaranteed no matter how good you are. Hell Brock came out and did what he could though the game was done for all practical purposes.
It’s one of the worst parts of fandom, in my opinion. Bunch of out-of-shape guys with office jobs sitting around criticizing the toughness of a pro athlete.

I’ve got a good friend who has served as a doctor for college and professional sports teams. The stories he has about the injuries these guys play through - especially in a game like this - is just insane.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
It’s one of the worst parts of fandom, in my opinion. Bunch of out-of-shape guys with office jobs sitting around criticizing the toughness of a pro athlete.

I’ve got a good friend who has served as a doctor for college and professional sports teams. The stories he has about the injuries these guys play through - especially in a game like this - is just insane.

I don't really even follow hockey and even I know those guys are crazy when it comes to "playing through"

Texbudman

Nov 20, 2012
Arlington,Tx
A lot will depend on tomorrows MRI. If Purdy doesn’t need TJ surgery, then I see the 9ers keeping lance and Brock both. Picking up another journeyman incase of injury. Lance has not been very healthy. I see the 9ers also drafting a right tackle in the draft. He is the one who got both QBs smoked.
It was actually the back up tight end that let Reddick get to Brock

Reactions: twincyties

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
After them, I typically like teams while they have a player I really like/respect. Example: Colts were that with Peyton - rooted for them as if they were my #2. Then he went to Denver so I stopped giving a **** about Indy and took up the Broncos as #2.
So I will have to completely disown you now! [As a Chiefs fan, haha]

Nothing really against the Broncos other than the Cheifs play them 2x/yr in division.

So, ready for some smack talk leading up to the Super Bowl? I'm not too good at that. It should be a good one. Chiefs vs. Eagles.

Chiefs will have to get healthy. The Eagles are a complete team.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

Always talk **** about players not giving enough effort, like they would play with the fiery passion of a thousand suns every time they stepped on the field, yet they can't get their fat asses off the couch to do some light exercise for 30 minutes a day.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
I've seen some criticism post-NFC championship of Kyle Shanahan's offense accounting too much for schematics and not enough for protecting the quarterback. For instance, in Brock's injury today, it was a slow-developing play that required a backup tight-end to make a block against an Eagles top defender (which the TE whiffed on). Also Brock's progressions were on the left side of the field, so he didn't see the defender coming.

It's crazy how many injuries the 49ers had at QB this year. The last time I remember a team going wildcat-only was like Rex Burkhead on Nebraska way back when.

Reactions: Halincandenza

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Per his Twitter he is a Christian “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”.
So? Are you saying because he is a Christian he is resistant to making dumb statements? We all know that's not true. People are still human.

But I see your point. And I'm not baggin' on you for pointing it out. If a person is going to put that kind of statement on his twitter, he must expect more scrutiny and criticism (per hypocrisy). Hopefully he'll learn from it.

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Often when this comes up, I think of Jake Knotts last game.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
It sucks to play the ”what if” game, but here is an obvious and sad what if…If shanahan challenges that 4th and 3 dropped pass, which would have resulted in a turnover and loss of downs, instead of a touchdown for the Eagles, that would have completely altered the trajectory of the game and Purdy doesn’t have this devastating injury. Sigh…

Also Shanahan is getting torn up for putting a backup tight end as Purdy’s protection against the Eagles best pass rush Hasan Reddick.

Reactions: 4theCYcle

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I can't even fathom how idiotic some people are. I saw a tweet from a sideline reporter that when Purdy was going back in his few warmup throws were essentially him shot-putting the ball. The injury to his damn throwing elbow. You can't throw without an elbow. You can't tape up an elbow.

Holy **** people are dumb.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I've seen some criticism post-NFC championship of Kyle Shanahan's offense accounting too much for schematics and not enough for protecting the quarterback. For instance, in Brock's injury today, it was a slow-developing play that required a backup tight-end to make a block against an Eagles top defender (which the TE whiffed on). Also Brock's progressions were on the left side of the field, so he didn't see the defender coming.

It's crazy how many injuries the 49ers had at QB this year. The last time I remember a team going wildcat-only was like Rex Burkhead on Nebraska way back when.
The injuries are not limited to QB. I have never seen a team have so many injuries in general across the board, especially on the offensive side of the ball. They routinely work through 3-5 running backs each year. Kittle has been on and off IR his whole career. Deebo is like 1/4 for playing an entire season. I used to think bad luck, but I am becoming more convinced it has something to do with the scheme they like to run or Shanahan's offensive philosophy etc.

• Useful
Reactions: landerson

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
The injuries are not limited to QB. I have never seen a team have so many injuries in general across the board, especially on the offensive side of the ball. They routinely work through 3-5 running backs each year. Kittle has been on and off IR his whole career. Deebo is like 1/4 for playing an entire season. I used to think bad luck, but I am becoming more convinced it has something to do with the scheme they like to run or Shanahan's offensive philosophy etc.
I think you are right. San Fran plays such a physical style that injuries pile up.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron