49ers - Brock Purdy - Still and Always #1

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
One of the longtime niners fans on my fb started a thing about how you got to play though this.

6 week recovery? Thats more then a few minutes.
Yeah those takes were pretty dumb. If your QB cant throw the ball, you have no shot. As bad as Johnson was, there was a reason he was out there.

Reactions: Williowa

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah those takes were pretty dumb. If your QB cant throw the ball, you have no shot. As bad as Johnson was, there was a reason he was out there.
It should be pretty clear to anyone who watched that Purdy was not capable of throwing the ball, when he came back in. The 49ers coaches knew it. They were just playing out the string by having him in there.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
One of the longtime niners fans on my fb started a thing about how you got to play though this.

6 week recovery? Thats more then a few minutes.
There is an old saying I’m sure many here have heard and it involves being hurt versus being injured. If you are a QB there is no “playing through” certain elbow/shoulder/hand kind of injuries. It doesn’t matter how tough you are or if they give you a needle. Some of this stuff makes it literally impossible for your arm to function the way it should.

I swear, these armchair QBs who are like "gotta play through the pain" have never suffered a severe injury in their lives.

About a month ago I slipped on ice and fell to both knees, and my right leg popped. It was so bad I had to be taken to the emergency room. At first I thought I blew out my knee, but fortunately it was just a really, really bad quad injury and probably some minor spraining to my MCL and patellar and quad tendons. Nearly a month later the quad still feels like it wants to give out at times, particularly when trying to stand or sit or trying to walk the stairs in my house. While frustrating, the orthopedic doctor I saw said it might be until April before my leg is fully healed. The worst part is it was weeks before I got a good night's sleep, and I still struggle with leg pain at night.

The point is with this injury I'm just struggling trying to function in everyday activities - there is no way I'd be able to play my way through this if I had to. The other point is Purdy would have played through his injury if he could - and he actually had to. But there was a reason why they were handing off the ball every down even when they were down three possessions - because Purdy could not throw the ball.

ianjbark3r

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 1, 2021
There is an old saying I’m sure many here have heard and it involves being hurt versus being injured. If you are a QB there is no “playing through” certain elbow/shoulder/hand kind of injuries. It doesn’t matter how tough you are or if they give you a needle. Some of this stuff makes it literally impossible for your arm to function the way it should.
I saw a lot of tough guy posts about Brock today so I just wanna highlight this.

This injury was a critical failure in the mechanism that makes it possible to throw the football. You can put a V8 under the hood, but a broken drive shaft renders function impossible.

End of argument.

I'm sure my intelligent, fellow Cyclones get this, but I've had enough beers to merit venting on a message board.

Williowa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2016
I swear, these armchair QBs who are like "gotta play through the pain" have never suffered a severe injury in their lives.

About a month ago I slipped on ice and fell to both knees, and my right leg popped. It was so bad I had to be taken to the emergency room. At first I thought I blew out my knee, but fortunately it was just a really, really bad quad injury and probably some minor spraining to my MCL and patellar and quad tendons. Nearly a month later the quad still feels like it wants to give out at times, particularly when trying to stand or sit or trying to walk the stairs in my house. While frustrating, the orthopedic doctor I saw said it might be until April before my leg is fully healed. The worst part is it was weeks before I got a good night's sleep, and I still struggle with leg pain at night.

The point is with this injury I'm just struggling trying to function in everyday activities - there is no way I'd be able to play my way through this if I had to. The other point is Purdy would have played through his injury if he could - and he actually had to. But there was a reason why they were handing off the ball every down even when they were down three possessions - because Purdy could not throw the ball.
Speedy recovery friend!

Exactly, anyone think that Brock Purdy wouldn't have done anything to play in the super bowl he had to? Silly.

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
he might need tommy john surgery... even though it didn't look that bad, it was really, really serious.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
I saw a lot of tough guy posts about Brock today so I just wanna highlight this.

This injury was a critical failure in the mechanism that makes it possible to throw the football. You can put a V8 under the hood, but a broken drive shaft renders function impossible.

End of argument.

I'm sure my intelligent, fellow Cyclones get this, but I've had enough beers to merit venting on a message board.
Agree 100%.

It’s also completely ludicrous to think a pro athlete - all of whom are off the chart competitive - would say “my elbow kind of hurts. Think I’ll sit out this chance to take my team to the super bowl”. Such a dumb take.

These guys regularly play through pain most of us can’t fathom. At this level and in this game - where a trip to the super bowl is what they’ve played their whole lives for - I trust anyone that says “I can’t go, coach”.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Speedy recovery friend!

Exactly, anyone think that Brock Purdy wouldn't have done anything to play in the super bowl he had to? Silly.
The people that were ripping on Brock were a combination of people that just plain hated the Niners, people that hated all the attention that Brock was getting, Trey Lance fans and Hawkeye fans. That’s basically it.

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
The people that were ripping on Brock were a combination of people that just plain hated the Niners, people that hated all the attention that Brock was getting, Trey Lance fans and Hawkeye fans. That’s basically it.

You left out average NFL players that had their Heisman awards nullified after they were caught cheating.

H

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
49ers have a tough decision this offseason, do they move back to Lance, who has shown nothing, or move on with Purdy and see if it was all smoke and mirrors or is he the future of the franchise?

Without a doubt they will be letting Jimmy G. leave.

Kind of funny that everyone that said it was the coaches and the system not Purdy started playing well, but boy did the backup struggle today with the same coaches and system.