49ers - Brock Purdy - Still and Always #1

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
SIAP. Interesting look at one team's actual pre-draft evaluation of Brock and how these perceptions pushed him to the end of the draft. They, of course, underestimated his athleticism, moxy, visual processing and brain:

I came across that article yesterday. What I took away from it was that scout really didn't watch the game tape closely. If the scout had, he would seen more of this than the lack of "NFL QB measurables."

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
Yeah, this is what I'm wondering also. The state of commentary is broken if you win a playoff game against the #1 defense to remain undefeated and they can't acknowledge it was done in a style that every other qb has to win with from time to time.

Talking heads now seem to want to apply special rules to Purdy's success.
I wasn't trying to bury Purdy with that comment. I was using it as a comparison point to illustrate that he has been very successful, and if that is the current low point then he has been very successful.

I agree that some national talking heads are treating him a little different, and that is probably based on perspective and expectations. If he was a first round pick, they would be anointing him the next great thing. They are also saying "If he loses in the next game, I told you so." Seriously, Purdy leads the 49ers to NFC Championship game and loses he's suddenly an afterthought? If he makes the Super Bowl and loses his successes up to that point should be downplayed?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It was the ball boy. Timeout, he's on the floor with that circle mop near the Iowa State bench. Suddenly, on the scoreboard video, they zoom in on the kid's shoes and socks. At first I thought it had all of the basketball team faces, or maybe just one member of the men's team. Nope! Brock socks!

That was awesome. That kid will remember that forever.

In additional to the socks he was sporting some pretty sweet kicks.

• Agree
Reactions: SaraV

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I wasn't trying to bury Purdy with that comment. I was using it as a comparison point to illustrate that he has been very successful, and if that is the current low point then he has been very successful.

I agree that some national talking heads are treating him a little different, and that is probably based on perspective and expectations. If he was a first round pick, they would be anointing him the next great thing. They are also saying "If he loses in the next game, I told you so." Seriously, Purdy leads the 49ers to NFC Championship game and loses he's suddenly an afterthought? If he makes the Super Bowl and loses his successes up to that point should be downplayed?
They do it to everyone. They kept waiting for Mahomes to have his first true slump by any metric and it took almost 3.5 years before he had what were considered back to back bad games. They said DCs had figured him out with their 2-high defense. He began to adjust his game and is now an absolute assassin at carving up defenses underneath.

They are always waiting to pounce on the first failure be they a first round pick or 7th. Brock really hasn't had to experience failure yet. If it had happened in the regular season, we would have been able to see how he responds, but failure in the playoffs means we won't see him until next year, maybe. I'm not convinced that the 49ers aren't going to give Trey Lance every opportunity to be the starter in the fall regardless of how far Brock and the 49ers go this year.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Awesome. I think Walker wins. Would love for Brock to win it. Breece would have won if he didn't get hurt.
I'm leaning towards Wilson. Brock I think benefitted greatly from the new voting format this year to be named a finalist. Which technically is a weird way to put it as there isn't a second round of voting and the winner has already been decided. They chose top 5 for MVP and top 3 for everything else. I don't think he topped a lot of ballots but certainly got plenty of 2nd and 3rd place votes,

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Awesome. I think Walker wins. Would love for Brock to win it. Breece would have won if he didn't get hurt.
Wilson
Brock
Walker

probably- although if brock makes the SB i could see him getting the nod.

(i hope he gets the nod because i got him at +2000 and put some money down on him to win)

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Last night I heard multiple talking heads say that Purdy has hit his ceiling. That he's in trouble because he'd have to air it out and make plays to beat Philly since the teams are so evenly matched on both sides of the ball, but not QB.

I don't believe any of this. The kid just turned 23, he's got a lot of growing to do and will get a lot better.

As for the game, I think it's going to be a ground and pound with Purdy converting on 3rd down, just like he did against Dallas. It's going to be an intense, controlled game.

It's nice to have meaningful football in late January.
The talking heads are ignorant. Last time Purdy and Hurts faced off was in 2019 in Norman Ok and I was there to witness it. Both were great, but Purdy was slightly greater. OU was saved because the refs swallowed their whistles on an obvious PI call in the end zone during ISU's go ahead 2 point conversion at the end of the game.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
The talking heads are ignorant. Last time Purdy and Hurts faced off was in 2019 in Norman Ok and I was there to witness it. Both were great, but Purdy was slightly greater. OU was saved because the refs swallowed their whistles on an obvious PI call in the end zone during ISU's go ahead 2 point conversion at the end of the game.
If anyone has the NFL Network app, they have the highlights from that game on there right now.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Yeah, this is what I'm wondering also. The state of commentary is broken if you win a playoff game against the #1 defense to remain undefeated and they can't acknowledge it was done in a style that every other qb has to win with from time to time.

Talking heads now seem to want to apply special rules to Purdy's success.
Every QB narrative ever is “could have done more” if you lose.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Wilson
Brock
Walker

(i hope he gets the nod because i got him at +2000 and put some money down on him to win)
The voting for the award is already done, so making the super bowl will have not have an impact on Brock winning the award

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: VeloClone and JM4CY

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
Oh, I remember well.

On another, yet similar note, the NFL social channels are showing highlights of that game. Crazy pub for Brock and ISU.

Reactions: 0u812

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Wilson
Brock
Walker

I just can't give it to Brock due to how few games he played. Had he played a few more games or the entire season, he would be a lock.

I originally thought Wilson, but after looking at past winners, Wilson would have the worst stats of any WR rookie of the year since at least 1992, maybe before that. Only Percy Harvin and the Carl Pickens had worse WR stats, but they were both fantastic returners on top of their receiving stats. Wilson doesn't have that.

Walker's stats don't blow you away and they aren't as good as many past RB ROYs, but there have been RB ROYs with very similar stats. Todd Gurley, Eddie Lacy, Cadillac Williams, Anthony Thomas all had similar stats to Walker and won the award since 2000.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I think Brock should win it. What he has done is truly remarkable. Rookie QBs just don't play this consistently well no matter their draft location. He has 13 TDs and only 4 INTs. That is good for most QBs, but it is unheard of for a rookie.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
It just boils down to whether or not Purdy had shown enough in the five games prior to the end of the year to win people over. QB is the biggest position in sports, and as others have mentioned, none of the other rookies at other offensive positions really stood out this year. I wouldn't say I think he's a lock for it, he came on so late. But it was a big story helped oddly by him being #262. I think he's got a shot.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I get the argument against Purdy and the shorter body of work, but unpopular opinion, having a 1000 yard season for a rookie receiver is the easiest accomplishment by comparison to every other position. A rookie receiver can play games without even knowing all the schemes and route trees. Fast guy? Go routes, post routes. Possession guy? Hook and curl routes.

A rookie QB needs to know the whole damn thing and then process it correctly each play. The difficulty level is exponentially higher. So I have no problem with Purdy getting it over a rookie receiver.

Reactions: VeloClone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think Brock should win it. What he has done is truly remarkable. Rookie QBs just don't play this consistently well no matter their draft location. He has 13 TDs and only 4 INTs. That is good for most QBs, but it is unheard of for a rookie.

All MVP type debates can be looked at two main ways:

A - Who had the biggest impact on winning
B - Who put up the most raw statistical production

When a player does both or is close to both it's easy. When different players are very different answers to these two things, it's a debate.

Brock is probably A and B if you look exclusively at the weeks he played (he was basically top rated QB in weeks he played). If you look at the entire season, unbelievably Brock is still the answer for A but it seems Wilson is B.

As an NBA junkie, Jordan and Bill Russel are A. If you look at career LeBron is in process of passing Kareem for B. When you combine the two and look at per season averages, it's why MJ is considered #1.

• Winner
Reactions: Cloneon

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I just can't give it to Brock due to how few games he played. Had he played a few more games or the entire season, he would be a lock.

I originally thought Wilson, but after looking at past winners, Wilson would have the worst stats of any WR rookie of the year since at least 1992, maybe before that. Only Percy Harvin and the Carl Pickens had worse WR stats, but they were both fantastic returners on top of their receiving stats. Wilson doesn't have that.

Walker's stats don't blow you away and they aren't as good as many past RB ROYs, but there have been RB ROYs with very similar stats. Todd Gurley, Eddie Lacy, Cadillac Williams, Anthony Thomas all had similar stats to Walker and won the award since 2000.

Like I just posted in another reply, it just depends on how you view "most valuable" type of thought.

If it's who had the biggest impact on winning it is Brock even with half a season.

If it's total statistical output he's probably not even in this three finalists, so we know impact on winning has a big say in these awards.

If the Jets or Seahawks were a top team it'd probably be easy because you could answer both questions with one rookie. Neither of those guys has Brock's "was a team leader in dominating a conference" feather in their cap.

If Walker is RotY that is pretty incredible because Breece had nearly double the yards and TDs when he got hurt...I mean that's mind blowing to think about.