49ers - Brock Purdy - Still and Always #1

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
49ers do their own Hardknocks called Brick by Brick. First episode was released this evening, and had a good portion around Brock Purdy and being Mr. Irrelevant. Nothing about ISU or his college days, but still something that you may be interested in watching and following. His sections starts at 10:40 mark.

Brick by Brick
I'm sure Brock cannot throw a deep ball like Trey Lance.

But I would bet quite a bit that for throws within 20 yards of the line, that he's more accurate. I hope he sticks for two years.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
For what its worth: 49ers Webzone keeps declaring him 3rd string or not on the team at all when the season starts. They mention his lack of arm strength virtually every time they mention his name. I'm not counting him out based on a fan blog, but I don't feel warm and fuzzy thinking about his chances. They began training camp worried about Sudfeld as backup, but seem to be increasingly fine with him.

Interesting, there’s a portion of people here who think his arm strength is great and he can make all the throws.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I don't believe anyone on CF has ever said that.
I’ve seen several posts about him being able to make all the throws and and he’s the best QB in school history(which is mostly true). It was mostly in draft talk, where people got mad when it was said he had a weak arm.

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
Some guys are just good college Players and not really built for the NFL!

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Brock faces the Packers tonight and sounds like he should get a decent amount of playing time. Game is at 7:30 Central and suppose to be on the following local channels:

Des Moines-Channel 8
Cedar Rapids- Channel 7
Quad Cities-Channel 4
Omaha-Channel 7

https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/upload/packers/wenfutnwbzbx8tv1auch.pdf

For those not local it is suppose to be on NFL Network.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Is there a place to look at balls completed when the ball was in the air 30 yards or more? My guess is arm strength is not as big of a deal as it is made out to be. An offense can be built for 10 yard routes. Like SF did under Bill Walsh. Although nobody is going to build around Brock. But he can run. I wonder the difference between Trey and Brock on speed.

Reactions: aauummm

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I've read up a little on what's going on out there but certainly not enough to call myself an expert. I think two things are true, Trey Lance can run like a streak of shite but doesn't know where the ball is going when it leaves his hand. Brock on the other hand can feast if you don't make him throw a pass longer than 20 yards but that's not going to cut it in the NFL. The 49er's are going to be bad because they don't have a QB that should be taking NFL snaps. Brock could be like Sage Rosenfels where he gets a start here and there but spends 10 years bouncing around as a back-up making really good money. When he's 50, doesn't have CTE and can remember his name still that's not all that bad.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Is there a place to look at balls completed when the ball was in the air 30 yards or more? My guess is arm strength is not as big of a deal as it is made out to be. An offense can be built for 10 yard routes. Like SF did under Bill Walsh. Although nobody is going to build around Brock. But he can run. I wonder the difference between Trey and Brock on speed.
I think it affects more than just the success rate on those types of plays, because if you're not a threat to do that well, it really shrinks the field for the defense.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
If I were a 49ers fan, I'd be moving past Lance at this point. I heard an NFL expert talking about him the other day. He said something like "Lance is clearly THE GUY in San Francisco, but it's going to take a couple years for him to put it all together". When was the last time a successful NFL QB needed multiple years of development before they figured it out? Projects DO NOT WORK at the QB position. Ever. He's not accurate enough to be a good NFL QB, and never will be.
Peyton Manning: 61% completion combined over first 4 years, 81 INT's....Colts were .500 over that time.

Changes to rookie contract and the salary cap have made teams very impatient because it's so ******* advantageous to have a starting QB on a rookie deal.

Reactions: isutrevman

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Welp, doesn't look like Brock is going to get in until the 4th Qtr.