cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
What's the difference between "waived" and "cut?"

(I don't know much about NFL contract stuff)
When a player is cut, they are either waived or released... Players with less than 4 years in the league go through a waiver where other teams can claim them - once they clear the waivers they become Free agents. Players with more years experience immediately become free agents when released. All players go thru the waivers after the trade deadline through the end of season.

I think the waiver priority is like the Draft order or reverse order of standings, so if Jacksonville and Bears put in a claim for the same player, Jacksonville will have priority and can claim the player given that they have/make the roster space.

One discussion with Purdy was that if he were waived, another team that liked him could pick him up to be their backup before 49ers had the chance to sign him to the practice squad. If no team claimed him ("clear the waiver") then 49ers could have signed him to their PS afterwards.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
" Chase Daniel's net worth. And despite starting just five games and throwing just 261 passes in his career, Daniel reportedly has career earnings of $36 million."

Cyclones set up Daniels for this. BP deserves it just for Karma balance.
I think the days of packing on lbs with a comfy backup spot are gone though unfortunately.

Chase milked it good, but find it hard that many will be able to pull of his career. Thats GOAT backup material

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I have not read every post on here, but the level of expertise on QB play must be extensive with both coaching and playing experience. Wow......

I have played a lot of FB in my day at RB and QB. Here is what I know: in Brock's four years at ISU, he played behind average OLs and generally ran for his life, especially in big games and he still put up impressive numbers. He is a great representative of ISU.

Please, just be happy for him.

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Let’s pump the brakes here. Brock was great in Ames but I still say best case scenario is he has a Sage Rosenfels type of career when he sticks around for a decade as a backup and has a spot start here and there. It’d be cool to see him become a starter someday but I’m not convinced it’s in the cards for the kid.
You may be right, but people doubting Brock don't have a real good track record. At some point you have to account for his track record of proving people wrong.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
You may be right, but people doubting Brock don't have a real good track record. At some point you have to account for his track record of proving people wrong.
I really hope I wiffed on my prediction and he winds up as a starter in the league. That would be great for him and the university. I was talking to a friend of mine at our high school teams scrimmage the other day and he's as big of a hawk homer as the come and he's convinced Brock is the best QB on that roster. I'm not sure if I'm that high on him but I sure hope I'm way wrong.

Reactions: amishclone

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
It's my dream job outside of cart person at Costco.
i wish i had a leg- i think a punter would be fantastic.

ive heard mcafee talk about his day to day when he was with the colts and it sounds like he didn't do a whole lot and still got paid.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
i wish i had a leg- i think a punter would be fantastic.

ive heard mcafee talk about his day to day when he was with the colts and it sounds like he didn't do a whole lot and still got paid.

Go to football practice, travel, occasionally go out and throw to the flats to just try to maintain possessions, and make millions.

Chase Daniel is the king with less than 2,000 yards passing and $30+ million.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Thrilled that Brock made the roster. I had doubts that he would ever make it in the league because he's a bit undersized and doesn't have the big arm but I think his ability to manage a game and make plays when the pocket collapses is what should keep him in the mix as a backup. He's the type of player that probably will not be able to win out a competition to be a starter in the league but he's a guy you want as depth because he's not going to hurt you if he has to go in when your QB1 gets hurt. Sage and Seneca made pretty decent careers as backups, it's probably one of the better gigs you can have as you aren't taking the hits every week but there are guys that make some decent bank as career backups. Just being in the league is one of those things that these guys get to tell stories to their grandkids about 1 days and that in itself is priceless.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Go to football practice, travel, occasionally go out and throw to the flats to just try to maintain possessions, and make millions.

dude has it made for sure

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

One thing about Chase - whenever he needed to play, he looked good. A team could feel like they had a good shot to win with him at QB.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I was at the game in MO when Chase Daniel came in for an injured Brad Smith against ISU. Thought we were catching a break but he just lit us up and well the rest is history after that. He's had a pretty solid run in the NFL, kind of reminds me of the same path Sage had too - a guy that was always in demand and got paid well as a backup but never really got a shot to be QB1. Thought Sage was going to get that shot in MN but then the Vikings just had to bring in Favre...

TopCy

Jun 15, 2021
I'll be interested to follow the careers of Purdy and Skylar Thompson in Miami. They had very different college careers, but now they are in almost identical situations as the third-string rookie behind a young starter and a veteran backup.

KSU rivalry aside, these are two guys who are easy to root for. I hope at least one of them gets a chance to show what they can do in the next couple years.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Let’s pump the brakes here. Brock was great in Ames but I still say best case scenario is he has a Sage Rosenfels type of career when he sticks around for a decade as a backup and has a spot start here and there. It’d be cool to see him become a starter someday but I’m not convinced it’s in the cards for the kid.
Guess that is a yes to what the op is saying....I am betting Brock will ONE DAY not only play but will start for an NFL team. Even up.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron