4-23-20 Big Board Update: Adding two names for Iowa State

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Flowers doesn't have an offer I thought
Correct. At least that's what CW has heard. The coaching staff has obviously contacted him at some point, but hopefully they get Brown, or someone else, and we don't have to worry about Flowers.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Well we’ve offered Harris, and not flowers for one.
Okay, the “trust the staff” response. That’s a common and honest response, I appreciate it.

The offer status may or may not be true, but if this staff were above reproach, we wouldn’t have a Nixon to point to, this forum would be a ghost town, and we wouldn’t be scrambling to avoid our third bad year in four.

Also, my main contention is effectively that they’re different positions (one a pg/combo and one a sg), which is why I think Harris has a greater risk of being a Nixon. Removing the trust the staff, an offer to Harris but not Flowers isn’t a rebuttal of that dynamic. To trivialize this, they offered Harris but not the forward from VCU- that doesn’t mean the latter has a greater chance of being a Nixon.

You seem like knowledgeable fan, can you point to stats, metrics, game tape that leads you to believe Flowers is less of a pg than Harris? That if he were at ISU he’s the one that would have a great chance of being an inefficient scorer?

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Harris has more upside, and playing time, but I also don't see Harris being the answer at PG... at least not this upcoming season.
Thank you for the response. It’s recruiting, so you could be right!

But does Harris have more downside, too? I’d say yes, and that’s based on so far only being able to see the court as a 5’9” shooting guard.

Harris does have one more year, but what about Harris is leading you see more upside? I hope not the same as those pumping up Zion due to his upside! Physically they’re different, but I don’t see as one clearly better. Both will be challenged in that regard imo. They’re similar shooters, but imo Flowers has shown an ability to add pg attributes that Harris has never shown. Flowers actually played more two guard at the end of last year, but still maintained an assist rate that Harris hasn’t come close to. I see a guard that can interchangeably play both spots as a big upside to the team. Perhaps I looking too much into stats and Memphis basketball commentators viewpoints!

This isn’t to say I wouldn’t bet on Harris helping us. I think he’d frustrate a lot of opponents (and at times fans) as a McGee/Forte type. It’s to say I think for a team in need of pg attributes and shooters, Flowers would be a good fit with Brown and Bolton, or even Bolton and Harris.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I think he got more of a pass due to being more relatable, or perhaps for allegedly being an ISU fan prior to committing. Whatever it was, something endeared him to the fanbase more than I thought was warranted.

Maybe he got a pass for his behind the scenes habits which T and Z didn't show? Maybe he got a pass because he LOOKED like he cared about defense? Maybe he got a pass because he was more bought in than T and Z? Maybe he got a pass because he was a better teammate than T and Z? Or maybe it's the race thing you bring up where you mention being "relatable" whatever that means.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Yeah, he doesn't have any skills that the team needs. Who wants a player who as a sophomore averaged 8.7 points whose 59 3-pointers led the team and ranked fifth for treys made by a sophomore in school history. Oh yeah, he also made The American's All-Freshman Team after scoring in double figures 19 times and lead the team in 3-pointers made.

No way he can make a contribution to the team.

If TJ or Fred was recruiting him, the tune may be different. I've always wanted to have one of those small jet-quick feisty players like Tyler appears to be. If you read his interviews the kid has some FIRE in his belly - something we were really missing last year.

Reactions: LindenCy

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Thank you for the response. It’s recruiting, so you could be right!

But does Harris have more downside, too? I’d say yes, and that’s based on so far only being able to see the court as a 5’9” shooting guard.

Harris does have one more year, but what about Harris is leading you see more upside? I hope not the same as those pumping up Zion due to his upside! Physically they’re different, but I don’t see as one clearly better. Both will be challenged in that regard imo. They’re similar shooters, but imo Flowers has shown an ability to add pg attributes that Harris has never shown. Flowers actually played more two guard at the end of last year, but still maintained an assist rate that Harris hasn’t come close to. I see a guard that can interchangeably play both spots as a big upside to the team. Perhaps I looking too much into stats and Memphis basketball commentators viewpoints!

This isn’t to say I wouldn’t bet on Harris helping us. I think he’d frustrate a lot of opponents (and at times fans) as a McGee/Forte type. It’s to say I think for a team in need of pg attributes and shooters, Flowers would be a good fit with Brown and Bolton, or even Bolton and Harris.
Harris has been facing better competition since he was in high school. Even with his height limitations, he's been the better rated prospect. I feel more confident he'll make the transition to the Big 12.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
If TJ or Fred was recruiting him, the tune may be different. I've always wanted to have one of those small jet-quick feisty players like Tyler appears to be. If you read his interviews the kid has some FIRE in his belly - something we were really missing last year.

It’s an interesting signing. I like the kid, watched a couple Memphis games his first year, thought he was really competitive.

But all the high school kids were all longer, which had led me to think we were emphasizing length and versatility.

but Harris is definitely a take. I will be curious if he is given the ball and If he can be a point guard at the a Big 12 level.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Harris has been facing better competition since he was in high school. Even with his height limitations, he's been the better rated prospect. I feel more confident he'll make the transition to the Big 12.
So, based on the difference between the MAC and AAC, and high school ratings for a rising junior and rising senior?
To each his own. Are you skeptical on Johnson then?

Anyways, get Brown or someone like him, and things will be better next year.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
So, based on the difference between the MAC and AAC, and high school ratings for a rising junior and rising senior?
To each his own. Are you skeptical on Johnson then?

Anyways, get Brown or someone like him, and things will be better next year.

Is there anyone besides Brown you'd be happy with at this point?

Reactions: Lewey24 and isu83

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron