4-2 Chris Williams Blog

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Fanatics…it’s been a long time! I hope all is well in your lives and I must say it’s good to be back here on the World Wide Web. Over the past few years I have developed a very good relationship with Jeremy Lind. We’ve tried to work some sort of a partnership out for sometime and now it’s time to get going. I will be writing a featured blog on CF from now on.

The rules of this blog are very loose. It’s simple. There are none. I don’t know how often I will update it. I don’t know what it will be about. Obviously it will have a Cyclone slant to it but one thing I always tell people I love about CF is that it’s more than a Cyclone website. To me, it’s more of a site to visit if you want to know what’s going on in the world of sports in general. People post links, their favorite jokes and a whole lot more. While I’ll write a lot about the Clones, a lot will be about other stuff as well.

I want this to be interactive. If you think I’m a moron, tell me. I just might feel the same way about you. Let’s just keep it clean. Negative feedback is better than no feedback at all. Basically, Jeremy and I want to bring one more layer to Cyclone Fanatic and we hope you enjoy it.
I want to make it clear as well that I am not exclusively writing for CF at this point and time. You will also see me freelancing with outlets such as CycloneReport.com in the near future and other outlets as well. That means that if I report premium information about a recruit in another article on another website, I will not be at liberty to share that with you at CF. I apologize in advance.

I realize that some of you probably have no idea who I am so let me tell you a little bit about myself. I graduated from Iowa State with a degree in journalism last May. I’ve worked in the Iowa State media for almost four full years now in such outlets as CycloneNation.com, The Iowa State Daily, Mediacom, KXNO Radio, KASI Radio and the Ames Tribune. Right now, my full-time gig is at KMA Radio in Shenandoah, Iowa with my right hand man Brent Blum. Don’t be surprised if he pops in and posts here from now on as well.
Enough of an introduction, let’s get down to business and have some fun.

SPRING FOOTBALL

It’s crazy to think about but spring football is already here. The one area that has become the biggest hot-topic is this “quarterback controversy.†I believe it is a complete non-issue. Don’t get me wrong here. I absolutely love Phillip Bates. I covered his recruitment before he committed to Iowa State and have known him for some time. He is a class act. His father is a class act and we all know that Phillip can play. But Austen Arnaud should be the starting quarterback when the Cyclones take the field in 2008.

Here’s where it gets dicey though. Bates is an incredible athlete and he wants to play quarterback. He’s been solid on that stance from the get go. Let’s say that Bates enters the 2008 season as the back-up quarterback.

Do you play him at receiver too? I would. Let’s be honest here people. The Cyclones need all of the athletes on the field that they can possibly get at all times. Bates qualifies. He’s one of the best. ISU cannot afford to have a guy like him standing on the sideline calling in plays. He has to be out on the field. Bates is a big play threat in the middle of an unproven group of wide receivers. Yes, it’s a risk to have your backup quarterback going across the middle against a Big XII defense but it’s more of a risk to have one of your best players on the sideline.

I will say this. I don’t have a problem with Bates taking some snaps under center. How about using Bates in a Tim Tebow scenario? How about letting him take 20% of the snaps? I’m cool with that. But he needs to be on the field more than he is not.
OPENING DAY

I love baseball’s opening day. My favorite thing about it is how all of the sudden, so many random people really care about what happens. This isn’t only on Opening Day. It goes on for the first week or two of the regular season. Go to Welch Ave. Station in Ames on or near the start of the baseball season and you’ll see all sorts of people absolutely hanging on every pitch like it’s the seventh game of the Fall Classic. A month from now, that crowd will shrink from about 50 people to five. You know the type of guy I’m talking about too. The one who stumbles into class all ticked off that the Tigers just lost to the Royals like the season is now over. It’s not college football bro. Get over it. There are 162 games and one loss in early April doesn’t dictate your season.

Speaking of Opening Day, one of my immature yet hilarious friends posted this link on my facebook wall. If you want some good clean fun, be sure to check it out and make sure you’re sitting down.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzAR2Z52rNM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v<wbr>=dzAR2Z52rNM[/ame]
MORE BASEBALL NOTES

I mentioned above that I love my job. I’ve recently completed my spring training tour for KMA radio covering the Kansas City Royals and St. Louis Cardinals. The trips to Arizona and Florida were amazing. I made some great contacts, got some solid interviews and all around had some fun. Of all of the unique and interesting tidbits of info I learned while in the Cards and Royals clubhouses’ one stood above the rest.

Tony La Russa is not a kind soul.

I hung around the Cardinals clubhouse covering his team for almost a week and I don’t think I saw him say anything nice once. He never smiled. He’s the Simon Cowell of Major League Baseball. The guy makes Wayne Morgan’s personality shine like David Letterman. Speaking of La Russa, how about these ESPN interviews with him, Bob Knight and “Wild†Bill Parcells.

If you didn’t see it, click here.

http://sports.espn.go.com<wbr>/broadband/video/videopage<wbr>?videoId=3318430

Now that’s entertainment. It was pretty sweet to get all of that knowledge together in one interview but it really bugged me how in the interview Knight kept saying the word “we†when referring to the Cardinals. You are not on the team Bob. Quit acting like it.

Hey…at least he’s not a golf instructor.

WARNING *** VULGAR LANGUAGE IN THIS LINK *** IF YOU WILL BE OFFENDED **** DO NOT CLICK **** SERIOUSLY

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPE_FUZFeLM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v<wbr>=kPE_FUZFeLM[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Had a similar conversation with a friend yesterday about Bates/Arnaud. Unless Bates is head and shoulders better than Arnaud, It would probably be best for the team and get the best athletes on the field by having him at reciever. Have to look at the tradeoffs. Is Bates a better QB over Arnaud more than he is better than our #3 reciever? If so, play him at QB, If not, he is a reciever.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I see Bates sharing snaps with Arnaud. I do see Arnaud getting the majority of the snaps though.

I would guess Bates will also be used on "gimmick" type plays as a decoy or the target.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
If he is being used, he needs to be on the field enough that the defense can't key on him. Last year's use of him was a disaster because the defense knew if he was on the field that he was getting the ball.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I like your articles so good job on that. I still can't figure out why you can't hold down a job very long with such good writing and good knowledge you bring. Keep us updated.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Bates motions into the backfield from his slot reciever spot. The Zone/Read/Option is run with the pitch to Bates who pulls up and throws to RJ who started off blocking, but is now streaking downfield.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Knownothing - thanks for the comment...I think. Actually I've never been fired from a job...just so you know. Most of my stuff is on a freelance basis, just like I am doing here on CF. Just wanted to get that out there. Hope you guys enjoy it. I'm really excited about it and have a lot of fun doing it. Take care.

Chris

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Interesting comment about La Russa. I am a huge Cards fan but the dude never lightens up. I think I saw him crack one smile after they won the Series in '06. That's it.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I've alwaysw hated La Russa. Glad I now have a valid reason. :)

Drunk driving loser.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Glad your here chris!

I played ball with AA and talk to him every once in a while.. i would be really suprised if he is not starting, because not only is he a good qb but the guy is one hell of a leader, one of the coolest guys i know, now i am not saying bates is not the same way, but i have yet to really meet him except for some random moments.. so yes i might be a little biased.. but owell

j4state

May 21, 2006
Visit site
Brent Blum posts! That guy can write a sports column. My best memories of the ISD came from his writing. The perfect combo of humor and analogies mixed with legitimate knowledge ISU athletics. Will be looking forward to more from the two of you.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Four of a kind?

The new Joe skipper from LA Dodgers and the St Lou Cardinals maanger look similar. The old manager from Pittsburgh Steelers Bill Cowher and ex Okie State coach Sean Sutton look similar. Must be their game face.

d4cy

Oct 19, 2006
Ames
I am actually going to have to disagree on the Bates/Arnaud competition. I think Bates has a decent chance of winning the job outright. Chiziks comments about visiting some other coaches and installing some things that will help them could have been visiting with a zone-read offensive coordinator. Think about it: We've got Bates who will be a sophomore, and Tiller coming in who will probably redshirt. Two extremely athletic quarterbacks. I remember Tiller being compared to Vince Young at one time. Exciting possibilities, and i think that may be the direction this staff may be wanting to go.

As is well known, with that kind of an offense, quarterback injuries are more common. A very solid backup quarterback is essential, in which Arnaud would fit the bill. Its important to remember that Arnaud is by no means unathletic. Could this be the reason he tried to lose some weight in the offseason? We'll see, but this is the direction I think we may possibly be going. Very athletic O-Line with very athletic Quarterback and speedy runningbacks.

At any rate, i think that fun times are definately ahead of us.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Oklahoma style, here we come. No turnovers if possible. When we get behind, we go to AA for downfield passing.

isuforlife

Sep 6, 2007
What a great position to be in, two kids that are both going to be leaders of this team

d4cy

Oct 19, 2006
Ames
One more idea - maybe the new offensive wrinkle could be reasoning for letting go of Josh Jordan, a pro-style quarterback.

Chris its great to have you blogging here, i'll be looking forward to all your posts!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I am also interested how our punt return people will do. That was the saddest part of the equation last year. A free catch by Blythe was some of our best returns.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I am also interested how our punt return people will do. That was the saddest part of the equation last year. A free catch by Blythe was some of our best returns.

post of the day...

Chris can you tell us a little somthing about this? do we have a returner?