Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Random VEISHEA Notes<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
If you aren’t a current or former <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Iowa</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">State</st1:placeType></st1:place> student, please skip ahead to the next topic. <o:p></o:p>

I’m going to be blunt. VEISHEA sucked this past weekend. I actually took a day off of work on Friday to get up there for some “good ole times†but <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Ames</st1:place></st1:City> wanted none of it. <o:p></o:p>

The weather was horrible. The concerts were lame because nobody went (including myself) and the festivities just weren’t any fun. <o:p></o:p>
I also heard a rumor that they are moving it up another week next year? That would be a tragedy. I understand that everything is touchy since the riots and rightfully so. That was a brainless thing to do on the part of the students. But, some of the moves being made with this once outstanding event are simply going to ruin it for the entire community.<o:p></o:p>
Take the parade for example. This is an event that many community members (not beer swilling college students) love to participate in. Not when it’s 35 degrees and snowing. <o:p></o:p>
Catch my drift? <o:p></o:p>
VEISHEA is going in the tank and I don’t like it one bit. Let’s move onto sports.<o:p></o:p>
Recruiting Thoughts<o:p></o:p>
There’s been a lot of talk about Davenport Central’s L.A. Pomlee around the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Iowa</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">State</st1:placeType></st1:place> community lately. Many folks are dogging on the once promising post player. I am not one of them. <o:p></o:p>
Listen, I get it. Pomlee didn’t exactly set the world on fire during this year’s state basketball tournament, which just happens to be what a lot of people are basing their opinion on. I can say this with complete confidence though. <o:p></o:p>
As a senior in high school, Pomlee is already better than Cory Johnson or Alex Thompson. Read it again, it’s true. <o:p></o:p>
He’s a big body. He can play physical and he’s athletic. <o:p></o:p>
Look at it this way. <o:p></o:p>
<st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Iowa</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">State</st1:placeType></st1:place> is trading Cory Johnson for Pomlee. Johnson, though he’s become extremely popular in the Cyclone fan base has been a guy who just can’t find his niche in this program.<o:p></o:p>
The Cyclones are dealing him off for a youngster (Pomlee) with all sorts of potential and possibly some off the court issues. <o:p></o:p>
I’ll take the deal. I’m not saying Pomlee is going to jump in and be All-Big 12, but he’s the best option at this point in time. He’s got a whole lot of upside. Give him a chance. <o:p></o:p>
Speaking of Cory<o:p></o:p>
I’ve heard from numerous peeps that Cory Johnson was at Drake this weekend and that there’s a very good chance he will be there next season. I hope he does well. I don’t know how anybody could not root for him. He works hard, has a solid attitude and is a great guy. <o:p></o:p>
Links of the Week<o:p></o:p>
I need some help with this one Fanatics. Watch this youtube cut and tell me if it’s real. It’s supposedly the musical sensation John Mayer attempting some baseball play-by-play. <o:p></o:p>
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrrx5CgdZaA]YouTube - Guy Who Has No Idea About Baseball Calls The Game[/ame]<o:p></o:p>
And that happened. <o:p></o:p>
Is that really Mayer? I say yes. Never again can I listen to the that horrible lullaby “Daughters†and take him seriously again. <o:p></o:p>
Since I posted that horrible piece of work, I have to throw this one in as well. <o:p></o:p>
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W45DRy7M1no]YouTube - Boom Goes the Dynamite[/ame]<o:p></o:p>
It’s an oldie but a goodie. <o:p></o:p>

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Pomlee may be physically more talented than Johnson, but Johnson played much better in high school, if that's what you're getting at.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I played harder than Fred Hoiberg in high school. Who would you take me or the Mayor. Coaching can make you play harder. Gmac style is to get kids to overacheive. If he can get Pomlee to just acheive he will be an affective player. Johnson while working hard and earning our admiration just did not have the physical abilities to cut it at ISU. I love Johnson's work ethic but we can't have a bunch of work ethic guys with not enough talent. We need talent to live up to there talent. Then we will have a team or hard working talented guys.