306,000 alumni could turn the tide

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
There is no need when.........

.....you know exactly what I mean.
Weren’t you originally talking about me as an alum and fan?

What's wrong with my statement?

I am confused by your statements.

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
I can't look now but what was Pack's impact?

Wong was the guy last and this year in the tournament from what I saw.

And so far that's still only one example if it is one. He's a good coach too imo.
One guess why Basile didn’t come to ISU? If you don’t think this will help entice better athletes, I’d say you are right to not participate.

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022
Well, come September wife and I will have TWO kids up at ISU. Both will have student season tickets (football/basketball) along with any we purchase.

And even with that, coming from the carny's pitching NIL on this website.......we aren't even close to being the proper fan.
I feel this (and other similar posts) is disingenuous to the OP.

While the conversation has escalated in many non ideal ways, I think his original hypothesis is that given the size of our alumni base and the sheer number that may not be able to participate directly (e.g., tickets, bowl games) and may not already be donating, think of what could be achieved by small contributions from thousands of new boosters...

He did reference NIL, but again there are other ways to contribute (merch, season/single game tickets, espn+/big12now, NCC, Conference tourneys/bowl games, CRTC, CGIC, athlete's NIL tshirts, or any number of other ways).

• Agree
Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022
Oh, I agree, it's just that the money from the Networks isn't directly coming out of my pocket, like everything else is. I have no issue with the NFL getting the money they get, because the Vikings aren't constantly asking me to give more or telling me, if I don't donate to the player fund, they won't be able to get that next draft pick signed.
I think this hits at the core of the debate. The NCAA doesn't follow the NFL revenue sharing / salary cap model that guarantees parity. It's not zero sum. Poor performance doesn't yield top draft picks. Instead it follows the old MLB model. Poor performance creates death spirals. Ask expos (or any other small market team's) fans how MLB works for them.

There's no built in safeguards that ISU will be grandfathered into a P5 (or P3) conference. The new reality is that ADs in the B1G and SEC are no longer our peers in any regard. Including Rutgers, Northwestern, Vanderbuilt, and Miss State.

Apathy and feigned ignorance doesn't help.

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022
So they could get paid better elsewhere but still chose ISU.

Which is what I'm getting at.
What kind of employees can one hire and retain for minimum wage? Yeah, you may be able to hire a hard worker every once in a while but once they discover how much they can make elsewhere they are gone.

Just like you and your employment, coaching, facilities, and "the Cyclone way" can get a coaches' foot in the door, but few are signing on the line until they know the salary and benefits.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What kind of employees can one hire and retain for minimum wage? Yeah, you may be able to hire a hard worker every once in a while but once they discover how much they can make elsewhere they are gone.

Just like you and your employment, coaching, facilities, and "the Cyclone way" can get a coaches' foot in the door, but few are signing on the line until they know the salary and benefits.

I'll repeat again: even if ISU raises as much as possible, it will still not be as much as others. Ever.

Aren't athletes still coming to ISU even though they're not getting as much as others?

I know NIL would be involved in next year's highly rated bball recruiting class...but even now those players had chances to get more at other places.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Ask expos (or any other small market team's) fans how MLB works for them
You mean like the Ray's or A's?

Tampa has made 8 playoff appearances in the last 15 years with 2 World Series appearances. Oakland has made 7 playoffs in the last 15 years, both with minimal funds.

This isn't the doomsday scenario that you are predicting. Congress is already starting to get involved, just need to let it sort itself out for now. Iowa State will be fine.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
You mean like the Ray's or A's?

Tampa has made 8 playoff appearances in the last 15 years with 2 World Series appearances. Oakland has made 7 playoffs in the last 15 years, both with minimal funds.

This isn't the doomsday scenario that you are predicting. Congress is already starting to get involved, just need to let it sort itself out for now. Iowa State will be fine.
are-you-sure-mmhmm-2ofwqys9i4f39hem.gif

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Boy I wish I could find an employer that paid for my housing, all my food, gave me access to athletic trainers and personal health coaches and dieticians, gave me a wardrobe of branded clothes, my pick of Nike footwear, and tutors to help me through my work and that is BEFORE they pay me my salary.