306,000 alumni could turn the tide

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Currently competition for players involves NIL $. If other schools have more funds, they may get more of the better players. If they do, they may win more. If they win more, they will be more attractive as the leagues continue to evolve. It is all tied together.
Let's be honest here, ISU could raise more money than any school in the country and still be behind in the game because we are not a blueblood program. NIL is going to just make the already rich blueblood bases even more rich because they have the tradition and infrastructure already in place to entice top athletes that want the best path to play in the pros that other schools don't have. If you had the choice to play for Alabama or Iowa State in FB even if the money was equal we probably don't get that recruit over Alabama as you'll likely have a better chance at a national title and going to the NFL going to Alabama. In fact they probably would take less money to go to Alabama for that reason alone.

There is never going to be such a thing as an equal playing ground or closing the gap as that gap was already too wide to begin and will probably grow even wider regardless how much we "improve" in how we play the NIL game. The only way the gap closes to where blueblood programs don't have a significant advantage is to place caps and restrictions on how much NIL money can be paid out and that genie probably will not be put back on the bottle since the NCAA royally botched how we got to NIL in the first place. It likely would take legislation to get that to happen and even then that likely would get challenged in the supreme court.

The term NIL is such a loose term because in reality money is now exchanging hands that are not for what NIL was intended to be. As some have already mentioned buying a shirt or getting an autograph or having an athelete endorse your business or product is what NIL was for. I get that the We Will collective's goal is to help provide those opportunities an may be setup different than other collectives are but many collectives are probably more just openly/legally laundering money to get players now that used to go on under the table previously but now is out in the open. Maybe my opinion on this will change in the coming years but right now I am a firm no thanks until I see it play out more to where I feel it is a wise use of my money.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I don't think I'm hijackings this since everything has been restated and repeated 10 times.
A couple responses have mentioned donating to the alumni association.
Why would you donate to the AA?
What does the AA do besides fronting for tourism trips and selling directories.
Their budget used to be published and seems like 90% was employee expense.
Funny story about the AA soliciting fundraising. I was about to leave my apartment on my way to graduation at Hilton and my phone rings. Yup it's AA asking for a donation. My response was "wow you sure don't waste any time, I'm literally on my way out the door right now to get my diploma!"

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Thanks Tom! I will be able to enjoy more disposable cash for fun things throughout the year while also getting to watch a 7-6 football season you provided. Thanks for your efforts.

Tom's gonna will ISU to another bowl win!

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
I get you were trying to help, and pointing out that small contributions can make a difference to the cause you support is fine…but you can at least understand why others might not be interested, right?

I mean, I know we can point to nice stories where NIL helped a kid that didn’t have basic stuff we all feel we should have to live. But I’m sure we can find other kids on campus facing the same struggles, but they may not already be getting a full ride, good stipend, etc. And just maybe they’re going into a field that does more to help the world than playing basketball does.

I love sports, but we’re getting a little out of balance here. And honestly I know this isn’t going to be a popular take, but we weren’t exactly competing for national championships up to this point. If the sky falls, and we get demoted to the MAC, I’ll still cheer for the Cyclones and hope we beat Bowling Green.
Ok. I assumed only 1/2 would donate

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Ok. I assumed only 1/2 would donate
I appreciate the point you're trying to make, but you're being WAY too defensive about it. I donate monthly to We Will but completely understand others don't want to or can't. That doesn't make them worse fans or less passionate.

And I still think the idea that half of all ISU alumni could be potential donors is horrifically off. I bet two thirds of alumni couldn't tell you the head football coach's name. I think a super optimistic number may be 5% of the alumni. So, using the 306k you started with (I know there's been a ton of discussion about the validity of that number, but humor me) and the $5 per week you proposed originally that still creates just shy of $4,000,000 which would still be an amazing windfall for out NIL.

Your point is valid, you just needed to be more realistic about assumptions and not be a **** to anyone pushing back.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
No one likes NIL in current form. We have to operate within the current form for now. Those that give are helping the program. I thank everyone who does that.
I don't like NIL in ANY form. They are no longer college athletes; they are merely semi pro athletes with a college name on their backs. Already the most privileged "students" on campus want donations, which have nothing to do with NIL incidentally. It feels sort of like when I get the call for a donation so an ISU student can study overseas. Um, I ate Ramen and worked crazy hours while at ISU. I'm not going to send money so someone can vacation in Europe.

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
Thanks Tom! I will be able to enjoy more disposable cash for fun things throughout the year while also getting to watch a 7-6 football season you provided. Thanks for your efforts.
You are welcome. Glad to help

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
Let's be honest here, ISU could raise more money than any school in the country and still be behind in the game because we are not a blueblood program. NIL is going to just make the already rich blueblood bases even more rich because they have the tradition and infrastructure already in place to entice top athletes that want the best path to play in the pros that other schools don't have. If you had the choice to play for Alabama or Iowa State in FB even if the money was equal we probably don't get that recruit over Alabama as you'll likely have a better chance at a national title and going to the NFL going to Alabama. In fact they probably would take less money to go to Alabama for that reason alone.

There is never going to be such a thing as an equal playing ground or closing the gap as that gap was already too wide to begin and will probably grow even wider regardless how much we "improve" in how we play the NIL game. The only way the gap closes to where blueblood programs don't have a significant advantage is to place caps and restrictions on how much NIL money can be paid out and that genie probably will not be put back on the bottle since the NCAA royally botched how we got to NIL in the first place. It likely would take legislation to get that to happen and even then that likely would get challenged in the supreme court.

The term NIL is such a loose term because in reality money is now exchanging hands that are not for what NIL was intended to be. As some have already mentioned buying a shirt or getting an autograph or having an athelete endorse your business or product is what NIL was for. I get that the We Will collective's goal is to help provide those opportunities an may be setup different than other collectives are but many collectives are probably more just openly/legally laundering money to get players now that used to go on under the table previously but now is out in the open. Maybe my opinion on this will change in the coming years but right now I am a firm no thanks until I see it play out more to where I feel it is a wise use of my money.
Might as well give up your fan card

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
I don't like NIL in ANY form. They are no longer college athletes; they are merely semi pro athletes with a college name on their backs. Already the most privileged "students" on campus want donations, which have nothing to do with NIL incidentally. It feels sort of like when I get the call for a donation so an ISU student can study overseas. Um, I ate Ramen and worked crazy hours while at ISU. I'm not going to send money so someone can vacation in Europe.
Your choice. Might as well give up and get off the forum