306,000 alumni could turn the tide

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Every true and real fan should be selling their plasma twice a week.

This is great. Takes me back. I think there is a huge wall for potential backers (especially alumni) because this is what us normies had to do for extra cash in college WHILE we had to pay for everything that scholarship players don’t have to pay for PLUS all of the extra academic help they get.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Still questioning the motivation of anyone that goes on a fan site and voices their reason for not giving. Are you trying to dissuade others from giving?

I'm not trying to dissuade others, just stating how I'd rather spend my money.

Not giving to the collective doesn't diminish my fandom any. I'm still going to be a fan and go to games no matter what.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
OP is basically saying it should be easy to get millions in donations, and is judging people who choose not to. My motivation is to simply list some of the reasons for my decision not to (of which there are MANY).

Don't like seeing the other side/opinion, probably shouldn't start threads trying to guilt people into spending more money.
There is nothing in the OP that I read as guilting anyone into anything. I read it as the OP showing the power of lots of small donations and as a way for passionate out of state fans to get involved since they aren't going to be buying season tickets.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

Not giving to the collective doesn't diminish my fandom any. I'm still going to be a fan and go to games no matter what.
There's a group of fans on both sides that seem to get some sort of feeling of superiority for either donating or shitting on the idea of donating. It's weird.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Personal satisfaction?? I get that from pronhub, not from giving (more of) my hard-earned money to kids who are already getting free school, free training, free books, free housing, free food, free medical care, free travel, free clothes, free exposure, etc.

Gonna need more benefit than that for me.
Good for you. I disagree.

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022
It seems in the world of college athletics that is the same as being cheap. I don't know how other fanbases justify spending money on getting so little in return. Like Old Miss' collective somehow gets 10 million donated, yet they are in the poorest state in the nation by gdp per capita by a large margin.
As the OP pointed out, a lot of small donations add up.

$57 to join the Alumni association.

$100 to be in the Cyclone Century club.

10,000 new contributions raises the athletic department budget by $1M/year.

Maybe that's how Ole Miss and MSU are doing it?

• Agree
Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
If it makes me cheap that I'd rather spend money going on our various vacation trips each year then I'm proudly cheap.
Somehow I doubt donating to We Will would stop you from taking a vacation. Give within your means. No one wants anyone to sacrifice greatly.

• Agree

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022
What does this have to do with NIL? ISU wasn't good last year but was about 5 plays away from 7-5 and 'someday' has been the last several years with pretty decent football teams.
I was thinking bigger picture. We're something like 120 games under .500 (almost exclusively due to administrations and a fan base through the 80's and 90's that did not care enough to be competitive) as a program.

One option is to also not care to be competitive.

Another option is to contribute to create an opportunity for success.

There are many ways to contribute.

(Opinion) Narrowly speaking to last year, yes I believe you are correct. We could have been +.500 had CMC had a bit of wiggle room to bring in a hired gun at place kicker instead of resting the season on a true freshman. And, no, I'm not telling everyone to rush out and support NIL; I'm just stating an opinion.

• Agree

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022
Personal satisfaction?? I get that from pronhub, not from giving (more of) my hard-earned money to kids who are already getting free school, free training, free books, free housing, free food, free medical care, free travel, free clothes, free exposure, etc.

Gonna need more benefit than that for me.
(I say this tongue-and-cheek, so please dont take this as a personal attack)

Your user name is Tailg8er and post (frequently) on a website called CycloneFanatic, yet you get no personal satisfaction from Iowa State wins?

It sounds like you're buying season tickets; I think the OP was talking to the people that live out of state and possibly can't contribute through ticket sales.

• Agree

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I was thinking bigger picture. We're something like 120 games under .500 (almost exclusively due to administrations and a fan base through the 80's and 90's that did not care enough to be competitive) as a program.

One option is to also not care to be competitive.

Another option is to contribute to create an opportunity for success.

There are many ways to contribute.

(Opinion) Narrowly speaking to last year, yes I believe you are correct. We could have been +.500 had CMC had a bit of wiggle room to bring in a hired gun at place kicker instead of resting the season on a true freshman. And, no, I'm not telling everyone to rush out and support NIL; I'm just stating an opinion.

If there as many bowl games in the 80s as now ISU would have gone to three and were close to a couple more winning seasons. Even in the 'good' decades there were some seriously bad seasons in there. The 90s was officially bottoming out.

What's happening imo is some are treating it like ISU just needs to raise more money like the other schools aren't doing the same that have always had a financial advantage.

If ISU was generally lower in their ability to keep up financially prior to all of this, how does that change compared to other schools doing the same thing now?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

This is exactly my mentality too. Kudos to those of you who can afford to give to the collective and feel like you are making a difference. I would much rather invest my money in my own kid's college 529 accounts so they can eventually afford college as they sure as hell won't be getting full ride athletic scholarships and NIL deal. I also prefer to give to other charitable organizations that make an impact on lives of people that maybe struggle to put food on the table or even pay the bills to keep the lights and heat on, etc. I don't see college athletes starving because they aren't being fed or clothed so its a personal preference that I see my hard earned money used in ways that have more of an impact on someone's life.

I enjoy winning and attending ISU games and the price to do that keeps going up as well but my values and priorities on where I feel my money is best used at is my choice and I am not going to tell someone else how to use their money just like I don't want to be given a sales pitch or shamed for having the mentality that my money could be used for more good causes than a NIL collective. At the end of the day it's still just a game and sport and if my happiness in life is dependent on how competitive ISU is then I probably need to reevaluate my priorities.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I brought something like this up and of course someone told me it's not possible, for a few different reasons. My idea was that they distribute beer at tailgates. Make it known that they have the supply so you just bring your cooler and ice and buy the beer there with all of the proceeds going to WeWill. It was a 1/4 baked idea but I know that when I was tailgating every weekend, I would have certainly done that. Pile on top of that the likelihood of companies wanting in on that marketing action, I thought there was money there. Like I said, though, there were numerous reasons this couldn't happen.
Do they charge at tailgated? If you sell beer, you need a license and insurance.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron