2nd recruiting weekend vs Iowa & Game Day

azchief32

Dec 10, 2016
This is a very good get. He got to the states last summer after he defected and was only able to wrestle one semester...won state, than Fargo. The rub on Cuban wrestlers is that although they are good on technique and dynamic, they sometimes lack the cardio. Well, since he will be here and in a college room, this should not be an issue. He has wrestled with some very tough, big names and done well. If he can handle the transition to college/the states, I think the wrestling will take care of itself even though he has only 20ish matches in folkstyle in his life. He projects at 41.

Worse case scenario is that academics might be a challenge but he ends up with Cyclone RTC. Wish Iowa would have got him. BTW, I doubt he's on now for WNO...compliance issues with the NCAA because we also tried to have one of our guys wrestle and it didn't work out.

Edit: I am biased when it comes to Sunnyside kids out of Tucson as I grew up competing against them and admire the way they have succeeded throughout the years. I believe this will be the fourth Sunnyside kid into your program...I can't remember the first guy but I believe the Gallicks worked out fairly well for you all.

Last edited:

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Sounds like Echemendia really impressed in the room. Excited to see what can happen when he gets on campus
From what I’ve heard, Dresser thinks Anthony is one of the best prospects he’s seen in his coaching career. That’s saying something. Must have really impressed when he worked out in the room. Metcalf and Dresser are beyond excited about this signing.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
Awesome news about Echemendia!

Wonder if he more or less took the scholarship money freed up by Ryan Anderson.

• Friendly
Reactions: HawkFan1

crooksie_26

Mar 24, 2006
Hopefully this doesn't impact Facundo, because aren't the around the same weight (as well as Carr).

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
He's wrestling Hawk recruit Patrick Kennedy at Whos Number 1 in two weeks. They are going at 170.

This kinda makes it seem like Echemendia is wrestling at 170.. so just to be clear, Facundo is the one wrestling Kennedy. I'm excited to see how that match plays out.

Echemendia is also participating at 65kg vs. Josh Saunders.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
That’s no longer clear according to the Register’s article:

... Echemendia was also slated to compete at Flowrestling's "Who's Number One" showcase event in Iowa City next month.

It remains to be seen if he will still compete next month — Echemendia is expected to join Iowa State as soon as next week — but he will surely be a welcomed addition to a Cyclone team that's expected to continue its rise during the 2019-20 season.
Willie just told me over on HR that he is still wrestling. Him and Facundo make this a worthwhile event for Cyclone fans.

Reactions: DantheFan

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Willie just told me over on HR that he is still wrestling. Him and Facundo make this a worthwhile event for Cyclone fans.
Saturday, October 5, 5 PM, see below for lineup/ticket info
https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6550858-whos-1-coming-to-carver-hawkeye-arena

ISU-TCU football is that same day in Ames at 11:00 AM
https://cyclones.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=97

UI-Michigan football is that same day in Ann Arbor at 11:00 AM CST
https://hawkeyesports.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=445

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
We have a very low percentage on landing our top recruits. Starting to get very frustrating.
If you take Carr out (he was a legacy and we did hire his dad... not looking for an argument. Just stating facts) Reeves is really the only top recruit KD has landed. Dugan was rated 70. Shapiro was in that same 70-100 range. If we are to make any legitimate move upward we need to live in the top50 for recruiting. Retrospectively Andersen wasn’t going to make it to school. Others backed off. AE looks fantastic but again he has some hurdles to get over before we even know his status. Of course you take a chance to top talent but we are playing against the percentages.

At one time a poster in the OSU board had a very detailed historic breakdown of recruiting rankings vs AA status. The rankings correlated to AA more than I would have imagined.

We need to do better.

Help Support Us

Become a patron