2nd Best time of Year for ISU Fans

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
I like the way you think.

Do we really know where this team is right now. We think they are getting better but they really havnt played anyone for a few weeks. They have toyed with the teams they played. After the first 3 or 4 games we will really know where this team is. The litte I have heard players talk it sounds like they are ready and know what is ahead of them. There are Big 12 battle tested guys on the team so lets see if they can help the new guys through it. This team will finish anywhere from 5 to 10 in the conference.

1 thing we do know is Kansas is really good.

Had we played anyone significant at the beginning of Big 12 last year? No. And last year we lost all three in-state games. We are definitely a better team this year than last. Rahshon is playing better offensively and defensively (if that's possible!), Jiri is playing much better offensively and rebounding wise, Wes's shooting is ridiculously better, Craig brings another element down low and can really put some numbers up. That only leaves the PG position and how BP will handle pressure. Last year we had Mike T who could score, but turned the ball over more times in one season than anyone in school history. I definitely don't think BP is going to be even close to that many TO's. We don't need a PG to score 20 pts a game because we have that in the other 4 starters. We just need him to control things, which I believe he can do better than Mike T. did.

nb06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2007
Had we played anyone significant at the beginning of Big 12 last year? No. And last year we lost all three in-state games. We are definitely a better team this year than last. Rahshon is playing better offensively and defensively (if that's possible!), Jiri is playing much better offensively and rebounding wise, Wes's shooting is ridiculously better, Craig brings another element down low and can really put some numbers up. That only leaves the PG position and how BP will handle pressure. Last year we had Mike T who could score, but turned the ball over more times in one season than anyone in school history. I definitely don't think BP is going to be even close to that many TO's. We don't need a PG to score 20 pts a game because we have that in the other 4 starters. We just need him to control things, which I believe he can do better than Mike T. did.

Statisically (usually the numbers don't lie) we are not that much better than last year. However, I will admit we have been playing well in the last few games and have improved from day one.

Year Off. Ave Def Ave. 3pts. Reb. TOs.
07-08 66.2........61.5........32%/5.5...35/+1..12.7/+.01
06-07 67.8........63.3........32%/6.5...36/+2..14.8/-2.1

Baylor
07-08 81.4........66.2........39%/9...37/+3..13.2/+3

Even with an awful turnover margin we managed to stay about even from last year to this year. Rashon is playing more consistantly, but Wes is still stuggling to play extended minutes (though he is improving). BP doesnt give it up like Taylor did but doesnt score it as well either. I'd say the schedule thus far was similar from both seasons.

Then there is Baylor. Statisically, its a long shot. Any game on the road in the big twelve is going to be difficult, especially for a "young" team. McD will have to have a scheme that really slows the game down. Baylor puts up alot of points and can shoot it from distance. In my opinion grinding it out by getting the ball to Jiri and Brackins early and often could be key. If we can keep it in the 60's weve got a shot. It could be rough if we let them score in the 80's or 90's.