ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
So many of these look delicious, the High Life Lounge in DSM made the list:

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/best-drunk-foods-in-america

I don't see Pokey sticks on there though...

Pokey Sticks don't exist in Ames anymore. I wish I could've tried these mythical things. I was looking at old finances for my dorm floor (I was president) and the dorm floor spent their entire budget for like 3 years straight on those things.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Pokey Sticks don't exist in Ames anymore. I wish I could've tried these mythical things. I was looking at old finances for my dorm floor (I was president) and the dorm floor spent their entire budget for like 3 years straight on those things.

If you've had smotherella sticks from jeff's, youve had a better version of them.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
If you've had smotherella sticks from jeff's, youve had a better version of them.

E01a3Lj.gif

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Gyro's from the cart on Welch Ave is the best drunk food ever.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Is the Skelly's still out there? That was our all time best drunk spot after the bars closed back in the early 80s.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Truck stop has been gone a long time :( No more cinnamon rolls and breakfast food at 2:30 am. Dear lord there could have been a lot of drunk driving tickets given out in that parking lot back in the day. Tip Top is still going if you did the beer and chili on sat am.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Truck stop has been gone a long time :( No more cinnamon rolls and breakfast food at 2:30 am. Dear lord there could have been a lot of drunk driving tickets given out in that parking lot back in the day. Tip Top is still going if you did the beer and chili on sat am.

I didn't experience the truck stop until about 6 months prior to graduation and only went there a handful of times, but god damn that place was magical and delicious. Not sure how cops just didn't camp outside there around 3 am.

SwirlingFloater

Dec 19, 2008
West Des Moines
I just had "The Elmo" last week for the first time at Elmo's Bar & Grill in Madrid, Iowa. It was terrific!!!

http://www.elmosbarandgrill.com/

The Elmo:

Fried Bologna, bacon and eggs tucked in between 2 grilled cheese sandwiches. Juiced up with sautéed onions and yellow mustard. $8.00

Highly recommend anyone try it if you find yourself passing through Madrid!

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

Well, next time you are up for a road trip, there are still a few college towns in the area that have them. According to their website, Gumby's is in Madison Wi, Iowa City, and Columbia MO. aTm has one as well. Too bad Mizzou and aTm are out of the league, or you could wrap it up with a road trip to a game. Lawrence had one up until a few years ago, but alas it is no longer. It looks like a chain on the decline, so if you have a shot better take it.

That said, I think the things are horribly overrated and wouldn't miss the place at all if they totally disappear.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
[video=youtube;WrjwaqZfjIY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY[/video]

Except not. Theyre the same damn thing, just made better at jeff's. I was at ISU when one went under and jeff's opened.

AustinHawk

Dec 10, 2009
Best drunk foods
pizza
bacon cheeseburger
burritos/tacos
omelets
pancakes
chili cheese fries
gyros

Where you get them from doesn't really matter because you're drunk. It's not like you can taste much, or really care, at that point.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Well, next time you are up for a road trip, there are still a few college towns in the area that have them. According to their website, Gumby's is in Madison Wi, Iowa City, and Columbia MO. aTm has one as well. Too bad Mizzou and aTm are out of the league, or you could wrap it up with a road trip to a game. Lawrence had one up until a few years ago, but alas it is no longer. It looks like a chain on the decline, so if you have a shot better take it.

That said, I think the things are horribly overrated and wouldn't miss the place at all if they totally disappear.

Remember the title here. If you're not blasted you will be extremely underwhelmed by anything from Gumby's. The main selling point, at least when I was in college, was it was cheap.

AustinHawk

Dec 10, 2009
Remember the title here. If you're not blasted you will be extremely underwhelmed by anything from Gumby's. The main selling point, at least when I was in college, was it was cheap.

Yup. Cheap. I don't think I ever had Gumby's sober.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Lucky Dogs on Bourbon Street and White Castles are missing from the list. Fong's Pizza is definitely better after a few beers.