Mi-Fiber vs CenturyLink

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Gary_ISU

Apr 12, 2006
I am moving to a new house in about 3 weeks where fiber will be an option for internet. I have had CenturyLink for a long time but considering Mi-Fiber. Anyone have experience with Mi-Fiber?

Thanks

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I have mi-fiber, the base 75/75 package. It’s not as cheap as CL but we’ve been on it for a year and we have not had a single time where we were down. No congestion during peak times, no slowing speeds, nada. We stream, have 2 phones, devices, 2 laptops and have video conferenced due to working at home the past 3 months,no issues. I don’t think most CL or Mediacom users can say the same.

You have to use their modem/router but I had them put it in Bridge mode and I plugged google WiFi into it and use that throughout my property for coverage.

Mi-fiber actually has customer service too.

Last edited:

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Have had MiFiber for 3 weeks...AWESOME. Dumped CenturyLink. Very professional Crews involved during installations.

Jul 17, 2017
Ankeny, IA
Have Mi-Fiber in Polk City. Had to wait one month to get service due to new street, new townhome & coronavirus. Service is good. We are using our own router, you do not have to rent theirs.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Have Mi-Fiber in Polk City. Had to wait one month to get service due to new street, new townhome & coronavirus. Service is good. We are using our own router, you do not have to rent theirs.
Agreed. The install guy said you can buy better routers than theirs. Im using a net gear Nighthawk.

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
Will have fiber sometime next month. Can not wait to be totally done with mediacom.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

Agreed. The install guy said you can buy better routers than theirs. Im using a net gear Nighthawk.

modem or router? I was told when I signed up I had to use their modem but could use any router I wanted. Their modem is a modem/router combo unit. I use google WiFi for system router and the access points but have their modem. If I can dump their modem, then I absolutely will.

Also in PC.

jonnyb21

Apr 18, 2006

we switched to mi fiber a little over a week ago. Also using our own router (Eero) however unable to get direct tv to connect to internet along with a couple of other devices. Had several long phone calls with both direct tv and eero who were both helpful and did everything they could to troubleshoot the issue and both told me it must be something on mi fiber end. However I call mi fiber and they say it has nothing to do with them. Between direct tv and chamberlain garage door myQ app I’ve reset them both so many times and tried to get all to connect but nothing has worked.

any ideas?

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
we switched to mi fiber a little over a week ago. Also using our own router (Eero) however unable to get direct tv to connect to internet along with a couple of other devices. Had several long phone calls with both direct tv and eero who were both helpful and did everything they could to troubleshoot the issue and both told me it must be something on mi fiber end. However I call mi fiber and they say it has nothing to do with them. Between direct tv and chamberlain garage door myQ app I’ve reset them both so many times and tried to get all to connect but nothing has worked.

any ideas?

make sure your band signal is correct. Many of those kind devices need the 2.4 band and a lot of newer router are 2.4 and 5.0 or a combined 2.4/5.0 signal (like google WiFi).

We have blink cameras and they use the 2.4 band, getting them Set up with google WiFi was a pain since I can’t select which band to use. I had to go far enough away from the router to get the signal to switch to 2.4 from 5.0 and then sync the devices to the WiFi.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
modem or router? I was told when I signed up I had to use their modem but could use any router I wanted. Their modem is a modem/router combo unit. I use google WiFi for system router and the access points but have their modem. If I can dump their modem, then I absolutely will.

Also in PC.
20200704_102238.jpg

Reactions: jdcyclone19

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018

any ideas?
MyQ setup fine for me. Can't speak to DTV as we dropped that for YouTube tv. The installer told me that if you see the 5 option on your phone or pc, take it. Leave 2.4 to everything else. I have Denon Home wireless speakers running throughout my home and outside, no issues either. No trouble with streaming directly to my TV either. Check your settings on your router would be my suggestion.

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
I've had centurylink fiber for 4 years or so and haven't had any issues; I'd imagine you'd be good with any company that's offering it

If mi-fiber is like centurylink, you do need to use their router, but you can set it in bridge mode so it doesn't actually do anything, and everything's handled by yours.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
If Mi-Fiber would ever be available in my neighborhood I'd probably make the switch from my CenturyLink service. That being said it must vary from neighbors because we rarely have issues with our 20 MB CL service and when we do it's usually a widespread outage where the whole town or big chunks of the state are having an outage too. Almost always get 18 or 19 MB on a speed test and never have issues with multiple devices and streaming either. The biggest test has been with the wife working from home this year as we thought about upgrading our package and it's been just fine for her through the VPN connection to work. We did replace our Netgear router that I would guess was around 10 years old with a 3 point Google WiFi router where we have 1 point on each level of the house and have noticed a big improvement since we did that too.

I honestly think some of the complaints with CL and Mediacom is neighborhood specific as I see people on our community FB pages complain about 1 or the other on a random day while people with the same service on another side of town are having no issues at that time. I've had both Mediacom and CL over the years and hands down Mediacom has some of the worst customer service I have ever dealt with while every time I have called CL to get support or better pricing on my plan I have had nothing but little to no wait times and great experiences.

Gary_ISU

Apr 12, 2006
Thanks for the feedback on Mi-Fiber. Seems like a great option. I live in Polk City as well. I am happy to dump Century Link as I have had some recent issues with them.

Reactions: jdcyclone19

jonnyb21

Apr 18, 2006
MyQ setup fine for me. Can't speak to DTV as we dropped that for YouTube tv. The installer told me that if you see the 5 option on your phone or pc, take it. Leave 2.4 to everything else. I have Denon Home wireless speakers running throughout my home and outside, no issues either. No trouble with streaming directly to my TV either. Check your settings on your router would be my suggestion.

My Direct TV is hardwired back to a switch and never had issues previously. I opted not to use Mi-fibers router as was told I didn't have to and instead just have a ONT that converts fiber to ethernet which goes directly into Eero router. From there I entered static IP info from Mi-fiber and was able to connect to internet. Most devices have no issues, however a couple I still can't get connected. At one time I called Eero and they shut of 5 signal and only had 2.4 running and still couldn't get MyQ set up. Mi-fiber tech is supposed to come out later today but not expecting they are able to do much as it isn't "their" equipment. Figured if I don't need to spend extra $5/10 a month for their router that I would just bridge anyway I won't do it.

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
Does anyone have centurylink fiber? I only have centurylink fiber of medicom 100mb as options for internet and centurylink is 30$ cheaper. I am having trouble with centurylinks signal from their modem/router combo to the whole house. Would prefer not to have to invest 300$ in a mesh system or newer router. Any suggestions?

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Does anyone have centurylink fiber? I only have centurylink fiber of medicom 100mb as options for internet and centurylink is 30$ cheaper. I am having trouble with centurylinks signal from their modem/router combo to the whole house. Would prefer not to have to invest 300$ in a mesh system or newer router. Any suggestions?
CL Modem Router combo sucks. I currently use an Asus RT-AC66U for a router. I had a Netgear Nighthawk but for whatever reason couldnt get it to work with the CL 100 dual band service.

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I think I am going to dump Mediacom cable internet for Mi-Fiber today. The discussion here and being without service most of Saturday sealed it for me.

I have a Google Nest for my home, having dumped my Asus router only a couple of weeks ago. Mesh is where it is at folks.