John Prine dead at 73

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/john-prine-obit-253684/

He had been hospitalized for several weeks, so it's unsurprising but sad all the same.

Hell of a songwriter. I came to be a fan of his in a roundabout sort of way...his name was mentioned in a throwaway song on a throwaway Everclear album back in the late 90s, and out of curiosity I looked him up.
My top five in no particular order - Lake Marie, Summer's End, Clay Pigeons, Your Flag Decal Won't Get You into Heaven Anymore, and Hello In There. RIP.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006

He had been hospitalized for several weeks, so it's unsurprising but sad all the same.

Hell of a songwriter. I came to be a fan of his in a roundabout sort of way...his name was mentioned in a throwaway song on a throwaway Everclear album back in the late 90s, and out of curiosity I looked him up.
My top five in no particular order - Lake Marie, Summer's End, Clay Pigeons, Your Flag Decal Won't Get You into Heaven Anymore, and Hello In There. RIP.
Illegal Smile is my favorite

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls

This was me too except I only gave Prine a cursory listen. Time to go through some of his stuff again I think. It's not as fun to go back and listen to someone's music after they've passed if you didn't have a deep connection. But if it's good music then it's good anytime.

"Thrift Sore Chair" off of the album Song's from an American Movie Part 1 was the Everclear song if anyone's keeping track

neiacy

Apr 11, 2006
You have brought up some songs I have not heard. I will need to check them out. I always liked, That's The Way The World Goes Round, Fish n' Whistle, Grandpa was a Carpenter, In Spite Of Ourselves.......those are some good ones as well-

RIP John, you will be missed!

tleonwdm

Apr 13, 2006
WDM
This one hurts. My favorite singer/songwriter. Been listening to him for over 40 years (yes, I am old). Last saw him in concert in Des Moines in Nov. 2016. So glad I made it to that show. Converted my wife after he and Kacey Musgraves (one of her favorites) did a few songs together.

Was always so impressed how you could close your eyes and vividly picture everyone of his lyrics.

RIP

Last edited:
Reactions: heitclone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He had an uncanny ability to write songs that walked a fine line between humorous but realistic and honest.

His songs were simply constructed, but they are not necessarily easy to play if you try to capture his fills and chord progressions.

Another example of someone who isn't going to hold a high vocal note for 3 measures or anything, but good luck playing a song as effectively as he did.

He'd been sick before, so many things could have done him in, but he had tour dates lined up so he must have been healthy enough before Covid got to him.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Here's a link from a performance back in the late 90s (same year I saw him) and it's wonderful listening to him interact with the crowd. It's what I remember most about his show.

Reactions: jbindm