Another Black Eye for NCAA - Sexual Assaults

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Reactions: CyJam

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Expose in USA today about how easy it is for athletes accused of sexual assault to transfer and play at other schools. K Boo and Michigan St singled out. Not sure how Baylor got a hall pass. Tim Floyd and Kelvin Sampson also get mentioned.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/n...hletes-punished-sex-offenses-play/4360460002/

I thought the NCAA generally stayed out of legal matters, period. Obviously the legal system deals with the accused, but otherwise it was up to each school to decide who it would take in.

I recall the NCAA came down very hard on Penn State in response to its massive child abuse scandal, and then as time went by the consensus seemed to be that the NCAA had overstepped and the penalty was scaled back pretty dramatically - which probably explains why the NCAA didn't do anything about Baylor. They had been burned and decided to let schools themselves handle the legal stuff. I'm sure that's an oversimplification.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it's also been clear in the last 10 years or so that the NCAA is damned if it does, damned if it doesn't. So I understand why they'd be gunshy to take this on.

• Winner
Reactions: Urbandale2013

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I thought the NCAA generally stayed out of legal matters, period. Obviously the legal system deals with the accused, but otherwise it was up to each school to decide who it would take in.

I recall the NCAA came down very hard on Penn State in response to its massive child abuse scandal, and then as time went by the consensus seemed to be that the NCAA had overstepped and the penalty was scaled back pretty dramatically - which probably explains why the NCAA didn't do anything about Baylor. They had been burned and decided to let schools themselves handle the legal stuff. I'm sure that's an oversimplification.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it's also been clear in the last 10 years or so that the NCAA is damned if it does, damned if it doesn't. So I understand why they'd be gunshy to take this on.
Exactly. It’s really outside of the NCAAs purview. The issue would be with a chill that takes them in not the NCAA.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

And another thing. People always say "the NCAA" screwed this up, as if the NCAA is this unaffiliated body that does whatever it wants. The NCAA doesn't exist without its member schools; it is whatever its member schools want it to be. If the schools wanted the NCAA to go in a different direction, they could make it so.

A lot of people, especially in sports media, think that Roger Goodell's most important job is to be the unpopular guy that takes the heat for all the bad stuff that NFL owners do and the unsavory side of the business. People need to understand that the NCAA and its president serve the same role - to be the boogeyman for whatever people hate about college athletics, and to keep scrutiny away from individual schools.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The problem are the schools themselves try to protect their programs by trying to handle these things internally in hopes they can keep it out of the news and limit the damage done which sadly minimizes the victims ability to seek justice. Many times the police don't get involved until someone finally exposes the coverups going on.

Case in point, anyone remember the coverup attempted by Iowa with Abe Satterfield and Cedric Everson? https://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=6012358 If I remember correctly Iowa tried to handle that situation internally first before they ever brought in the police. Let's not forget Pierre Pierce too and how poorly that was handled https://www.espn.com/blog/collegeba...d/87476/pierre-pierce-still-haunting-iowa-too

When will institutions learn from past mistakes that when it comes to this kind of behavior there are more important things in life than trying to protect athletes who some already have too much entitlement as it is and just do the right thing and report these incidents to the authorities when they happen instead of attempting cover ups that usually make things look even worse in the end. If these things ever happened at ISU I don't care if it's the best athlete on the team I would hope our coaches and administration wouldn't hesitate to involve the police from the minute they find out about it and kick that player off the team if the evidence is there that proves the player is guilty of the alleged behavior. We don't need athletes like that representing our school let alone paid administrative staff too that tolerate that stuff for the sake of winning.

• Agree
Reactions: yCy