OT: Cord cutting questions

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I am sure there are numerous threads on this so I apologize in advance.

We currently have Xfinity but our monthly plan is ridiculous. We pay $130 for the plan for internet and cable but with fees and taxes and DVR etc it's $215 a month!

One of the main reasons we have the channel package we have is that it includes ESPNU and ESPNNews. The channel lineup below our package does not. Given so many ISU games might be on those two channels I didn't want to not have those as an option. But our monthly payment is stupid.

My question is this: If we purchased ESPN+ would that include ESPNU and ESPNNews or are we just **** out of luck and we have to keep our current channel lineup as is? Maybe YouTubeTV is the best option? Anyone used that?

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I am sure there are numerous threads on this so I apologize in advance.

We currently have Xfinity but our monthly plan is ridiculous. We pay $130 for the plan for internet and cable but with fees and taxes and DVR etc it's $215 a month!

One of the main reasons we have the channel package we have is that it includes ESPNU and ESPNNews. The channel lineup below our package does not. Given so many ISU games might be on those two channels I didn't want to not have those as an option. But our monthly payment is stupid.

My question is this: If we purchased ESPN+ would that include ESPNU and ESPNNews or are we just **** out of luck and we have to keep our current channel lineup as is?

No, ESPN+ is it's own thing. It doesn't have regular ESPN channels.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
ESPN+ is only ESPN+, not an ESPN streaming service that includes other ESPN channels.
Paying $215/mnth for what you are getting is a ripoff. You should be able to get internet and a streaming service (which includes ESPNU and News) and unlimited DVR for under $100/month.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
YoutubeTV is the way to go. $50/month

All the ESPN's and Fox sports networks needed to cover all ISU football and most all ISU basketball games.

I've had YTTV for ~6 months. No issues.

What do you use for a Remote Control? Can YTTV provide freeze-action / pause and rewind + slow-mo forward?

I'm paying $160 / mo to Xfinity and I've determined the convenience is worth it vs multiple streaming devices, crappy interface control and using my phone as a remote control, which seems to be inefficient.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
What do you use for a Remote Control? Can YTTV provide freeze-action / pause and rewind + slow-mo forward?

I'm paying $160 / mo to Xfinity and I've determined the convenience is worth it vs multiple streaming devices, crappy interface control and using my phone as a remote control, which seems to be inefficient.

2016 concerns.

• Agree
Reactions: shawn_200m

shawn_200m

Apr 10, 2006
Tipton, IA

I get YTTV via roku so we use the roku remote. I imagine whatever device you're using to get YTTV you would use that remote. DVR is just like cable or satellite, easy pause, FF and rewind and unlimited storage. I had dish for 15 years and I'll never go back.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
So we are testing YouTube TV for their free five day trial. So far we're impressed.

One thing I don't love is that there aren't any actual channel numbers. So switching channels takes quite a few buttons pushing to go to menu, scroll etc. First world problems I am well aware, but flipping back and forth between games in one second like you can now on regular cable is just not possible on this platform which is a bummer.

shawn_200m

Apr 10, 2006
Tipton, IA
So we are testing YouTube TV for their free five day trial. So far we're impressed.

One thing I don't love is that there aren't any actual channel numbers. So switching channels takes quite a few buttons pushing to go to menu, scroll etc. First world problems I am well aware, but flipping back and forth between games in one second like you can now on regular cable is just not possible on this platform which is a bummer.
If you go to recent channels it's very easy to jump from game to game (down arrow on Roku interface), took me a bit to figure it out, but now I think it's faster to switch back and forth than cable was.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
If you go to recent channels it's very easy to jump from game to game (down arrow on Roku interface), took me a bit to figure it out, but now I think it's faster to switch back and forth than cable was.

yah I've seen that Roku enabled tvs can do that. My LG cannot.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
yah I've seen that Roku enabled tvs can do that. My LG cannot.

Probably worth investing in a standalone box then. I have both Roku's and an AppleTV. Both work the same for YTTV. I'd also recommend a Logitech harmony remote if you want to stay at 1 remote control for everything.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
YoutubeTV is the way to go. $50/month

All the ESPN's and Fox sports networks needed to cover all ISU football and most all ISU basketball games.

I've had YTTV for ~6 months. No issues.

I don't have YTTV but they are the only service that offers both ESPN and Fox Sports channels. Not only do you get ESPNU and ESPNNews with YTTV (these channels are usually add-ons in other streaming services) but they also throw in the Fox Sports North and Fox Sports Midwest Regional Channels (at least in Central Iowa) which would have been an add-on for any cable/satellite package.

YTTV and ESPN+ would be my go-to solution for anyone wanting to watch ISU (or Big 12) sports, especially starting next year when Cyclones.TV goes away.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I don't have YTTV but they are the only service that offers both ESPN and Fox Sports channels. Not only do you get ESPNU and ESPNNews with YTTV (these channels are usually add-ons in other streaming services) but they also throw in the Fox Sports North and Fox Sports Midwest Regional Channels (at least in Central Iowa) which would have been an add-on for any cable/satellite package.

YTTV and ESPN+ would be my go-to solution for anyone wanting to watch ISU (or Big 12) sports, especially starting next year when Cyclones.TV goes away.

Hulu Live has all of that without any add-ons.