2020 O-Line

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I know that this is a bit premature since ISU is in the middle of conference play, but I have a question about the 2020 O-Line.

We graduate 4 seniors this year (JGJ, Meeker, Knipfel and Olson) and I’m wondering who the line will be for next year.

Newell and Downing are definitely locks. Ramos, especially how he looked in the few plays yesterday, is basically a lock, too. I’m guessing Ramos and Downing play on the left side.

Who plays on the right? I’m guessing Hudson at guard, but I have no idea about tackle. What do you guys think?

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Ramos, Downing, Newell, Hudson, Foster (?). Someone may jump over Foster

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
You would think we’d be appealing to a grad transfer.

Hopefully we can get Ramos, Hudson, and the true freshmen some meaningful reps.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Heard a lot of great things about Jerrod Hufford. Not sure if he'll be ready to start as a R Freshman next year but I bet he's in the mix.

Hoping Hudson is ready to go. Grant Trebier as well

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Prior to the season I remember Campbell raving about the freshman offensive line group. To paraphrase he said it was their best recruiting class along the offensive line since they've been here. I'm sure a few players will emerge prior to next year. If I remember correctly Darrell Simmons was one player he referred to numerous times.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Prior to the season I remember Campbell raving about the freshman offensive line group. To paraphrase he said it was their best recruiting class along the offensive line since they've been here. I'm sure a few players will emerge prior to next year. If I remember correctly Darrell Simmons was one player he referred to numerous times.

Simmons was referred to in a lot of recruiting articles as a possible future Center. Which would be ideal behind Newell.

Foster always looked stiff, Treiber looks like a beast in training.

Hopefully Hudson and Hufford can solidify the other Guard spot and provide depth along with Downing.

Reactions: FinalFourCy

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I think the early season will be the annual "transition time"--but pretty much only for the OL next season. After that, I think we're golden.

From the current viewpoint, I'd say Newell, Downing and Ramos are locks--though where each ends up might be a question. I know that they are looking at bringing in a JC tackle, and Foster may get his stuff together as a senior. Guys in their last year tend to do that. I think Treiber will be very good, Remsberg is an unknown, and I really like all of our current HS OL commits. As stated above, Hufford and Simmons look at least solid as well.

To be honest, if we had good enough tackles to push Ramos inside with Newell and Downing, I'd be good with that.

If we weren't having so much fun this season, I'd almost wish that it was Spring ball, so I'd have a peek at how it all shakes out!

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'll go with...

T- Ramos
G- Downing
C- Newell
G- Hudson/Hufford
T- Treiber

And btw... at worst this OL would be just as good as this year's OL, but most likely a bit better IMO.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
I'll go with...

T- Ramos
G- Downing
C- Newell
G- Hudson/Hufford
T- Treiber

And btw... at worst this OL would be just as good as this year's OL, but most likely a bit better IMO.

I think itll be important to target some top tier JUCOs at both offensive and defensive tackle. Treiber would be pretty young as a RS freshman to be your game 1 starter at tackle next year. Hope I'm dead wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'll go with...

T- Ramos
G- Downing
C- Newell
G- Hudson/Hufford
T- Treiber

I’ll agree. With the qualifier “once it gels”. And I think Treiber is a LT guy.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Treiber is a beast. He's #67 below on the far right. Not bad size for a true freshman.....

ECvikBIUUAAYHAq.jpg:large

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: burn587 and Aclone

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
An ideal LT guy should be able to contain a speed rush off the edge, stop a bull rush, and get a push in the run game. Many guys end up at RT because they struggle with the speed rush, but it's certainly a plus if you have guys on both sides with LT skills.

Reactions: Aclone

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I'll go with...

T- Ramos
G- Downing
C- Newell
G- Hudson/Hufford
T- Treiber

I'll go the opposite direction and say that they could be as good as this year's oline at best. Next year's five arguably has a higher overall ceiling, but you can't cheat youth at that position.

Also JGJ and Knipfel are two very talented losses, even if it took JGJ a long time to put it together. I'm concerned at tackle next year.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I'll go the opposite direction and say that they could be as good as this year's oline at best. Next year's five arguably has a higher overall ceiling, but you can't cheat youth at that position.

Also JGJ and Knipfel are two very talented losses, even if it took JGJ a long time to put it together. I'm concerned at tackle next year.
Agree. If next year is even at 2018 level, I’d be content. I’m hoping it’s Ramos, Downing, Newell, Hudson, and a grad transfer. That’s not that young of group, but nothing like this year.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Will have a young group up front next year for sure. Something tells me we'll start the season off slow but then get it rolling in October

• Agree
Reactions: burn587

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Agree. If next year is even at 2018 level, I’d be content. I’m hoping it’s Ramos, Downing, Newell, Hudson, and a grad transfer. That’s not that young of group, but nothing like this year.
Not sure why some people are focusing on “grad transfer”, when the staff is clearly focusing on a January enrollee JC transfer—which would likely better for cohesiveness.

• Funny
Reactions: FinalFourCy

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
If Sean Foster starts then either he had the biggest
LT - Ramos
LG - Downing
C - Newell
RG - Hudson
RT - Foster

Remsburg, Hufford, Schweiger and Treiber as depth.
I hope Foster has made some huge strides if this comes to fruition.