A reminder how fortunate ISU was to get Purdy

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Without a doubt our students and fanbase has provided the tipping point in attracting many talented athletes. It is one of the unique things that makes Iowa State what it is. We all work together and it's now all coming to fruition.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Thanks for sharing that. It's amazing how much changed for Brock in the weeks leading up to his decision and few short months after he picked ISU.

• Disagree
Reactions: isu81

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Saban always looks like he is never truly happy. Even in his championship interviews he looks like he never allows himself a moment of joy.
Totally agree. During one of the recent Gamedays, he was being interviewed at his house and Herbie asked him when the last time he's used the pool was. He said he went about a decade without ever getting into it, now he's got a grand daughter and is in it all the time with her. It was refreshing to hear that.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
Totally agree. During one of the recent Gamedays, he was being interviewed at his house and Herbie asked him when the last time he's used the pool was. He said he went about a decade without ever getting into it, now he's got a grand daughter and is in it all the time with her. It was refreshing to hear that.

How many more years will Saban coach do you think? Who would be his replacement?

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Saban always looks like he is never truly happy. Even in his championship interviews he looks like he never allows himself a moment of joy.

I remember after one of their national championships, Saban was complaining in a press conference because they were behind in their recruiting. You know, because they had been so busy winning a national championship, they were at a disadvantage to all those other teams who had been recruiting for weeks. #eyeroll

I know Saban's drive and lack of joy are what makes him what he is, but I don't know that I'd want to live inside his head. The dude has more money than God, and has seen more on the field success than about anyone in sports outside John Wooden and Bill Belicheck. Buy my God, what a miserable SOB.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
I remember after one of their national championships, Saban was complaining in a press conference because they were behind in their recruiting. You know, because they had been so busy winning a national championship, they were at a disadvantage to all those other teams who had been recruiting for weeks. #eyeroll

I know Saban's drive and lack of joy are what makes him what he is, but I don't know that I'd want to live inside his head. The dude has more money than God, and has seen more on the field success than about anyone in sports outside John Wooden and Bill Belicheck. Buy my God, what a miserable SOB.

He must have such a personal drive for success that all he see's is the next challenge and not the accomplishments. I think that drive can lead to loneliness and depression. I imagine he would be hard to coach / play for...but his system is undeniable successful.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
How many more years will Saban coach do you think? Who would be his replacement?

Those are good questions. You wonder if he is going to be somebody like Bowden or Paterno and coach until he is 80 or so? With a guy that competitive who lives and breathes football it is hard for them to hang it up.
I imagine they will swing for the fences with the hire, but it will be extremely difficult to live up to the expectations he has set there.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
It’s not just how we got Purdy; it’s how we got Campbell. He’s been open about why he chose to come to ISU - he brought his Toledo team in for a game and was blown away by the atmosphere and fan support.

What a time to be a Cyclone.

Yes it is! I have shared this with my hawk friends / family, that we will see in our lifetime a shift to Iowa being more of a Cyclone state than a Hawkeye state.

Larger student population
Located in the middle of the state near the largest urban area
Higher percentage of high school students attend ISU than Iowa in almost every county
Higher percentage of Alumni in the state
Large Ag industry support throughout the state

Hawks have the history, Kinnick, the Big Ten and larger tv exposure...but Cyclones are trending higher. put money on the Clones!

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Yes it is! I have shared this with my hawk friends / family, that we will see in our lifetime a shift to Iowa being more of a Cyclone state than a Hawkeye state.

Larger student population
Located in the middle of the state near the largest urban area
Higher percentage of high school students attend ISU than Iowa in almost every county
Higher percentage of Alumni in the state
Large Ag industry support throughout the state

Hawks have the history, Kinnick, the Big Ten and larger tv exposure...but Cyclones are trending higher. put money on the Clones!

Howk cousins- None of whom have ever worked there or sent one kid to college there are starting to question why they are taking out loans and working second jobs to buy tickets to see a football team go 8-5 every year. Being Howks is their identity and they are starting to freak their S****