Google claims to have reached quantum supremacy

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
A paper briefly appeared at NASA (has since been removed) claiming that a Google quantum computer solved a problem in 3 minutes 20 seconds - to prove that a random number generator was really random - that would take the world's fastest traditional computer 10,000 years. Very cool!

https://www.ft.com/content/b9bb4e54-dbc1-11e9-8f9b-77216ebe1f17

So how is this different than what Cray was doing a few yrs ago? Full disclosure I didn't go past the paywall.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
So how is this different than what Cray was doing a few yrs ago? Full disclosure I didn't go past the paywall.
I was able to get to this article just by registering, no payment needed. Anyway, some quick googling showed that apparently the world's fastest computer right now is Summit, built by IBM. It has done 1.88 quintillion operations per second before. Supposedly Summit would take 10,000 years to do what the Google quantum computer did in under 3.5 minutes. The article said the Google computer had 53 qubits.

It looks like all the supercomputer makers are leapfrogging each other every couple years. Cray signed a contract to deliver a system to the DoE that outperforms Summit in 2021.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY