Iowa State = New England Patriots.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That article was a fantastic read, and the fact that Iowa State is listed in the same sentence as Bill Belichick is awesome. So cool that they're using a similar scheme as us.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
My god.... there's really only one way to react to that:

tenor.gif

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I'm not an X's and O's nerd, so I really appreciate that the x-axis of the chart early in the article, representing defenders in the box, goes to 12. I may need to do more reading on this football thing.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Analytics has ruined my love for baseball...this article is trying to do the same thing to me for football! Although...I LOVE the pub Iowa State gets in this article! I hate the Patriots...but it is pretty cool to read someone describing a link between the two teams.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
This is so awesome; I love reading about strategies and playing the game. It seems most of ESPN / talk radio talks about anything but "playing the game"... I love the description Coach Alexander uses for our MIKE. "...... the defensive front has three down lineman and on this example they use a 5-0-4i front. This defense usually puts the front in a 5-0-5 alignment although sometimes the ends can align inside shade on the tackles, using a 4i-0-4i alignment. Behind that are three linebackers, and then three safeties. The two outside cornerbacks are on an island on the outside receivers. Because of the alignment we see here, the linebackers on the outside widen to help against the wide slot formations. The beauty of this design is that the middle safety, called the “joker safety” by coach Cody Alexander, can be brought into the box and gives Iowa State the flexibility to run a 3-4 without making a substitution...."

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Didn't read the whole thing but I think basically it's just playing sound and being versatile without being complicated and making the opponent get impatient.

I also think this staff is very good at utilizing strengths and abilities and definitely doesn't shy away from playing younger players if they're simply better.

The physical part will need to improve to beat someone like Texas because I think they're just fine with grinding things out.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Does this mean that the secret is out? I can't imagine that schemes remain effective for long after opponents have an off-season to adjust. What's next Master Heacock?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Does this mean that the secret is out? I can't imagine that schemes remain effective for long after opponents have an off-season to adjust. What's next Master Heacock?
This isn't a defense with a ton of holes or weaknesses. I love the 3-3 stack.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron