247sports Preseason Poll (trash)

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
To be receiving votes pre-season for Nebraska, it could be based on the fact that they start off with the first 7 games they will likely be favored in each of those games. Five of their first six games are at home. Their first two road games are Northwestern and Rutgers. So if they are 7-0 or even 6-1 they could be ranked just because everyone else has actually played good teams by then. Now they will be underdogs in their final 5 games, so no way they finish ranked.
Sounds like Minnesota last year. Big Ten schedules are a joke.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I wish we weren’t in any preseason poll at all. For many reasons.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Preseason polls are always about the name on the front of the jersey or the logo on the helmet. Disregard rankings until week four-ish.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I'm sure the reasoning and methods used by each of these "voters" vary from person to person, but I'd be interested to hear their explanation for voting for certain teams.

If you want to use recruiting rankings to influence their standing, that's fine... Texas would be ranked top 15 every season.

If you want to use last years results, that's fine.. but no reason to rank-- or give any votes-- to Nebraska

If you're using SOS like everyone did with Nebraska prior to last season ("Even if they suck they'll still go 10-2 with that schedule!) that's another way to do it.

It's hard to judge a rankings pre season because everyone is all over the board. It's just hype at this point. I'm good with ISU getting some pre season love. Helps recruiting. Helps our brand. Puts our name out there in a positive light.

But not this time, I guess. Oh well!

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I'm sure the reasoning and methods used by each of these "voters" vary from person to person, but I'd be interested to hear their explanation for voting for certain teams.

If you want to use recruiting rankings to influence their standing, that's fine... Texas would be ranked top 15 every season.

If you want to use last years results, that's fine.. but no reason to rank-- or give any votes-- to Nebraska

If you're using SOS like everyone did with Nebraska prior to last season ("Even if they suck they'll still go 10-2 with that schedule!) that's another way to do it.

It's hard to judge a rankings pre season because everyone is all over the board. It's just hype at this point. I'm good with ISU getting some pre season love. Helps recruiting. Helps our brand. Puts our name out there in a positive light.

But not this time, I guess. Oh well!
It's not like all rankings feel the same. Athlon has us at 17th.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Mr. Mensa himself sums up my take on preseason polls in general:
HermFlip-718x490.png

Help Support Us

Become a patron