Friday OT #2 - Give Us De-Funct

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks so much to @cyclones500 for this great topic! I'm just stealing his description verbatim, as it is perfect!

Inspired by recent discussions of Taco Time closing and a reference in Campustown Question thread regarding Do-Biz. What are some defunct restaurants, nightclubs or retail stores you remember fondly from your days at Iowa State, but no longer exist? For those of us who aren’t able to trek back to ISU frequently, what are some establishments you connect most to your college days, whether they still exist or not?

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Jeff's Pizza, Westcyde Wings and the Wendy's by the west HyFive were the usual go-to's during school.

Reactions: Angie

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Is Battle's BBQ still around? I must've gone there at least once a week when I lived in Ames. It's what started me on a love for BBQ. The last time I stopped there a few years ago, it had come under new ownership after George Battle died. It seemed like the food wasn't quite as good.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The Hallway (bar out at North Grand Mall), the Cave inn, GrandDaddy's, The BillBoard, That Place (bar downtown that had the airplane in it and free peanuts). Boyd's Ice Cream. Rumble's (?) the 50 style burger joint on Duff. Is Dugan's Deli still around north west of campus? Oh and when Cy's Roost was actually good.it was fairly nice and served really good burgers and deep fried mushrooms.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Granddaddy's for sure - it was the main meat market in Ames when I was in school. Also, Tork's Pub (at least I think it's gone, anyway)......we used to go get six-packs and peanuts when we had backgammon marathons.

The girls miss the old drive-in theatre out on the west end, we spent many evenings there with a big, greasy sack of popcorn and Kool-Aid. (Yeah, we were pretty poor.)

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
The Hallway (bar out at North Grand Mall), the Cave inn, GrandDaddy's, The BillBoard, That Place (bar downtown that had the airplane in it and free peanuts). Boyd's Ice Cream. Rumble's (?) the 50 style burger joint on Duff. Is Dugan's Deli still around north west of campus? Oh and when Cy's Roost was actually good.it was fairly nice and served really good burgers and deep fried mushrooms.
I probably went to Cy's Roost more than 500 times during college and I really don't remember them having food at all.

I think the 50s place was Ruttles.

• Agree
Reactions: urb1

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Diamond Dave's, Hardee's, the Hallway, KFC, Country Kitchen/Okoboji Grill, Battlecry's Valentino's, Cafe Shi, (forgot the name of the burger place in the same place after that after that) All places near the Mall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Angie

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron