On That Note - Add It To Your Collection

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Welcome to another edition of On That Note - a weekly music related off topic discussion post hosted by myself, @cyclones500 and @CycloneRulzzz. Last week's post was songs about love in conjunction with Valentine's Day - An Old Fashioned Love Song. It can be found here.

https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/on-that-note-an-old-fashioned-love-song.245973/

This week's post may not garner the number of replies but it seemed like something we on the committee were interested in - and so we decided to go with it. The topic is mostly geared to the music collector, but it doesn't have to be. The topic is, "Add It To Your Collection."

List 5 music media items you have wanted to add to your collection. Could be CD, Digital Download or Vinyl. Heck, they could be cassette, 8-Track or 78 RPM Shellac recordings. Maybe just some LP covers to frame and hang for their artistic value. Really, whatever blows you skirt up, as our old Division Secretary used to say...

Me myself? I could list a whole bunch of rare Beatles pressings from the 1960's and use up 5 postings real quick. Like maybe a Stereo (or Mono) Yesterday and Today first state 'Butcher' cover - or the original 1962 Decca pressing of My Bonnie/The Saints with label credits to Tony Sheridan and the Beat Brothers. Those are definitely things I'd LIKE to own but realistically probably never will.

So instead I'll list 5 non-Beatles things that are less spendy but still have eluded my EBay bidding attempts.

Dorothy Berry-You Better Watch Out. This was a fall 1964 release. Dorothy Berry is the wife of Richard Berry - the guy who wrote Louie, Louie. She had literally no career success as a singer but had releases on several labels. The two releases on Planetary are definitely the ones. This being my favorite. This is one of those British Northern Soul discs so in very high demand. Also of note, the song writer and producer is Dave Gates. Yes, THAT Dave Gates, who later became better known as David Gates, the lead singer of the 70's soft rock act, Bread.

Rannels-Blue Island - I just somehow stumbled across this song on YouTube maybe 10 years ago. I decided it was a MeanDean-worthy doo-wop pressing so I started searching for a copy. "Boss" was a Chicago area label. And while I've owned at least one other 45 on that label, this one doesn't come up very often. Must be very very rare. From 1963. Still, I do want that piece of vinyl.

The Five Crowns-Hillum Bay - My backstory on this one... I was at a flea market probably 20 years ago. A guy was selling 45's so I dug through and picked out some 'fer-sures' and some 'maybes'. The OTHER release by this act on this label was one I put in the maybe pile. I literally knew nothing about the act, the label or the song. They were priced $2.00 each or 6 for $10.00. I had 11 in the 'fer-sure' stack so obviously needed to select one more, since it was free. I debated for a while and ended up with the Five Crowns disc. When I got home I and looked it up in the price guide and was shocked it was listed for something like $100.00. The other disc they released on this label was booking at something like $1,000. Of course I liked the one I got but I REALLY liked this one when I listened it on YouTube. I've only seen one copy for sale ever on Ebay. It was in awful condition and I did not win the bid.

Rolling Stones-I Wanna Be Your Man/Stoned - I won't pretend to know the minute details of this release. I think it was released in early '64 before being pulled and replaced with I Wanna Be Your Man/Not Fade Away which was a minor hit (#48) here in the US. Evidently even in early '64 the title Stoned seemed a bit too edgy for the American record buying public. (In the UK there was no issue with the song.) Original US stock versions with Stoned are incredibly rare. I would settle for a promo copy which are still tough, but out there, to some extent. Interestingly enough there are two label variations of the promo single. A few years ago I decided to fill in missing Rolling Stones gaps in my collection but only the early/London label years. This remains the one single I don't have. The link below is actually the UK single B-side on the Decca label, not the US pressing on the London label that I am seeking.

Yardbirds-I Wish You Would/A Certain Girl USA Promo Picture Sleeve - This was the first Yardbirds single released in the US (August 1964). It was not a hit here and again US Stock copies are quite rare. I don't have one. But that is not actually what I'm jonesing for in this case. The Epic single was released with a black and white promotional picture sleeve that also advertised Denim Tones, a sock manufactured by Esquire Socks (Photos below) on the back cover. Another fun fact about this release - first promotional pressings list the A-Side as "I Wish You Could" as does the Picture Sleeve I want. The correct title is I Wish You Would which later pressings corrected. I do have both versions of the promo single. Just really really want the sleeve.

upload_2019-2-19_23-15-15.png upload_2019-2-19_23-15-15.png

What things have eluded you or been priced out of your collection budget that you still yearn for? Tell us please.

Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Some awesome historic info there. I'd love to have that early Stones single.

Seems like I saw The Five Crowns on some vinyl collectible lists, not sure if it's the same 45 or not.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Similar to @MeanDean, I could use up my allotment strictly on Beatles stuff. I’ll probably list a couple of those eventually.

I’ll start with a disc that intrigues me for “cool” factor: The Replacements, “Let It Be” limited edition, blue vinyl. I assume the music is the same as the official version, but I love colored vinyl for some reason.

let-it-be.jpg

Here's a track from the LP to match the color.

Reactions: MeanDean

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Perhaps my Holy Grail of collectible Beatles albums is “Yesterday and Today,” either original Butcher cover or copies with “Trunk” cover slick pasted over the original. I’m not sure which of those is considered higher value. (I'll defer to @MeanDean expertise for that).

View attachment 62520 View attachment 62521

Basic summary of Y&T on Wikipedia

Yes, the most collectible/rarest is a First State (not pasted over Stereo) copy. The mono copies are a bit more common. Possibly because they may have been sent in advance to radio stations. Capitol, at that point, did not make/designate promotional copies for their LPs or 45's. They did earlier and they did later (starting in the Beatles' case, with Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane). So radio stations would have received the stock copies.

Last edited:
  • Informative

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Yes, the most collectible/rarest is a First State (not pasted over Stereo) copy. The mono copies are a bit more common. Possibly because they may have been sent in advance to radio stations. Capitol, at that point, did not make/designate promotional copies for their LPs or 45's. They did earlier and they did later (starting with Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane). So radio stations would have received the stock copies.

Interesting thing about that first Capitol Promo single. That has the additional trumpet notes at the end that were not included in all future releases. Extra bit is at 2:49 mark.

Last edited:
  • Informative

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Some of my first-tier collection-wishes would be replications of what I already have, but having the records in near-mint condition. A large portion of my "inherited" 45s are in the "poor" range.

Random sample is this. I still have the 45 jacket, bit tattered but intact.

elvis 1.jpg

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
A couple more items I really want. Since I'm such a huge Zombies fan.

1. This 45 was released in the US on the Columbia Label. I have a rare Canadian copy but this US copy is even more scarce. I've not seen one on EBay ever since I've been watching, basically the last 8 years or so.

the-zombies-care-of-cell-44-columbia-s.jpg

But at least there's photographic evidence that it exists.

2. The other item that I'm convinced does not actually exist is Time of the Season/I"ll Call You Mine. This was supposedly released in 1968 on the Date label under catalog number 2-1604. I've never ever seen a copy or even a photo/scan of the label. No serious collectors have it and even Greg Russo, who wrote the definitive history of the group has never seen one. Yet it has appeared in virtually every record collector guide since the 70's. Usually, ironically, at a relatively low/cheap value. (The common hit version was Date 2-1628 and has Friends Of Mine on the B Side)

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
For nostalgia's sake, I'd like to have "Frampton Comes Alive!" on 8-track.

It was my older sister's purchase; she left it at home home when she entered college. For about a year, I played the s*** out of it until our family stereo finally ate the tape, a common fate for overstretched 8-tracks/cassettes.

I have no realistic way to play an 8-track tape, but I wouldn't have to hear the album again — I have it memorized. Memorexed, you could say. :cool:

With that — here it is! :)

• Friendly

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

It was my older sister's purchase; she left it at home home when she entered college. For about a year, I played the s*** out of it until our family stereo finally ate the tape, a common fate for overstretched 8-tracks/cassettes.

I have no realistic way to play an 8-track tape, but I wouldn't have to hear the album again — I have it memorized. Memorexed, you could say. :cool:

I'll bet in your memory you even hear the Ka-Chunk! when the eight track changed tracks in the middle of a song.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I’d like to have this, especially if there’s a mono version of it. Cover has the "peel slowly and see" banana.

VU nico peel.jpg
The Velvet Underground & Nico early pressing. (Description from eBay offer): Early pressing on Verve of the debut album of The Velvet Underground & Nico, with the original Banana front cover designed by Andy Warhol.There have been over 295 unique editions since the original release date (1966), and early pressings remain one of the most valued and sought-after among collectors.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009

A high school buddy I ran with a lot had it on 8-track too. We played the **** out of it!

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Another trait of an 8-track was, if you played it frequently enough, you started to hear bleed-over from another channel between songs (sometimes, you could hear it during quieter portions of a song).