O-Line Question

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Someone help me figure this out, should my kool-aid glass be half-full or half-empty?

Is Newell beating out JGJ for center is a great thing? or if it is something to be highly concerned about? It kinda feels like it is one of these 2 possibilities:

1. Newell is a mega-stud, and even JGJ, who is a pretty good lineman, couldn't keep his starting spot. But he got moved to LT because he is still really good.

2. JGJ is good and is our best guy, but we have such issues on the o-line that we kinda have to put him at LT, and Newell is just good enough to take the center spot.

One of these things is great, and one is quite worrisome. Which is it?

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I think the answer lies somewhere in between. I was listening to Cyclone Insider and Ben Bruns was saying that JGJ was maybe a bit tall for the center position (not to say he couldn't play there, but not ideal). I have also heard that he is our best lineman, and having him at left tackle is good in my opinion if this is the case.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
JGJ is our best lineman. We wouldn't have had him at Center if we had anyone else good enough to play Center. Now we have someone good enough at Center to be able to move JGJ to LT which is a better position fit for him.

I think we will overall be a better OL because of this rather than it being some kind of mess as your other scenario suggested.

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
my guess, like others, is probably somewhere in between. I'm guessing Newell is probably on par, if not better that JGJ last season. probably wasn't pushing JGJ for the starting center spot yet, but maybe have the potential to compute for that role in the future? Probably made enough progress and showed promise and consistency that staff if comfortable rolling with him at center.

or basically, Newell > Foster

• Funny
Reactions: windycitycy

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I bet Newell is better at snapping the ball. JGJ had quite a few bad snaps last year. Luckily most of them were low.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Besides LT...the Center position is next most important and some woudl argue more. Newell is a academic wizard first off..he’s very smart...but as a RS Frosh he’s also built and he’s a natural center. We are going to find, if he stays healthy, that Newel is going to be a darn good Center for us.

Moving JGJ to LT is in no way saying he got beat out at Center spot...JGJ was at center bc we really needed him there last year.

Reactions: CascadeClone

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Echoing what pretty much everyone else is saying. It's not that he beat JGJ out, but rather Newell's development allows them to move JGJ to tackle. That combo improves the overall quality of the line.

Yeah, I have no doubt that JGJ is the best Center on the team. Probably best LT and best LG as well. Newell is good enough to be one of the top 5, which allows JGJ to move. Now the competition is between Foster at LT and Mueller at LG. Whichever one of those guys is the 5th best OL, JGJ slides into the other spot.

Reactions: CascadeClone

CyCal

Apr 22, 2014
The way that I've understood the competition, it seems like JGJ is our best lineman and can start anywhere. The main competition has been between guys like Newell (center), Muller et al (guards) and Foster (tackle) with JGJ basically taking the starting spot of the weakest of the three.
In reality, Newell probably had a little bit of a head start because I think center is likely the weakest spot for JGJ, so all things being equal between the other three Newell was going to get the starting nod.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Your koolaid glass should be overflowing - none of this half-full ********.

Absolutely. As an ISU fan, these are the days that we've been waiting for. I think you have to be thrilled that we have the talent and coaching to compete at a high level. That's not to say that we're at the level of OU, but that we can compete with them if we executive our plan better than they execute theirs.

Our O line will be better. I'm convinced of that, as we have been transitioning our system from slim and agile to big, steamroller-type guys, and as time passes, we will get closer and closer to that goal.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron