21 Only Hurting Iowa City Bars

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
If its hurting business, doesn't that imply that they were making a lot of money off serving those under 21?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
If its hurting business, doesn't that imply that they were making a lot of money off serving those under 21?

Uhm yeah, cover charges and what-not at a minimum and maybe reduced 21 and over patronage.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
It's ridiculous that the Field House is paying $15,000 a month for rent. Sounds like some one else was milking a big cow. First thing I'd do is talk to my land lord about an adjustment or find an alternative building.

I can't say I feel too sorry for them. Too many business models based on under 21 kids.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Uhm yeah, cover charges and what-not at a minimum and maybe reduced 21 and over patronage.

I would be VERY surprised if under 21 cover charges and what-not constitute 50% of the bars business. As in the second article linked in the OP states a drop of 50%. If it does, they have an AWFUL business model, and they deserve to go out of business.

Also, I've never been to the Iowa City bar scene during the summer, do they charge cover in the middle of July when all the students are out of town?

Racer68

Dec 20, 2008
Vinton, IA
It's ridiculous that the Field House is paying $15,000 a month for rent. Sounds like some one else was milking a big cow.

But are they paying this to themselves? A lot of business owners own their building/property and rent it to their business...nice wy to pay yourself versus a larger salary. Would be interesting to find out.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
They claim that they went from $80,000 to $12,000 from just under 21's being lost. To me, it sounds like they were doing a lot more business to minors than just cover charges.

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
I would be VERY surprised if under 21 cover charges and what-not constitute 50% of the bars business. As in the second article linked in the OP states a drop of 50%. If it does, they have an AWFUL business model, and they deserve to go out of business.

Also, I've never been to the Iowa City bar scene during the summer, do they charge cover in the middle of July when all the students are out of town?
Yes, they do. As a rule of thumb, expect to pay cover at nearly any bar after 9:00 or 10:00 at night, Thursday through Saturday. That includes the summer. It's ridiculous.

For as long as I lived there, underage kids knew there were two places to go if you wanted to get wrecked with the least amount of effort: The Fieldhouse, and The Summit. I can easily believe that both are suffering; lots of people predicted The Fieldhouse wouldn't make it through the end of the school year if 21-only holds. The Summit's owner was already in the news a few days ago, when his bar was denied an exemption from the law. At least he has a decent restaurant operation during the day to help foot the bar's bill, but since they only sell about 42% food, I doubt he'll make it either.

Most bars in downtown Iowa City incorporated under-21 patrons into their business models.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
They claim that they went from $80,000 to $12,000 from just under 21's being lost. To me, it sounds like they were doing a lot more business to minors than just cover charges.

I'm far from an IC bar expert, but I could also see downtown fun shifting without under 21 people creating an "event" type feeling. Maybe it'll turn into downtown ames.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
On one hand, its sad to see another cool, unique party scene taken down by the fun-haters. IC bars were always a blast and a great place to visit for the weekend when your in college.

On the other hand, at least it should help even out some of the nightlife discrepancy between Ames and IC, which could help in recruiting.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I don't feel bad for people who can't stay in business unless they serve minors. That's just me.

CycloneChris

Jan 28, 2009
Chicago suburbs
In what may be the best part of the 21+ law, I've talked to a few people who told me their kids and their friends no longer wanted to go to Uiowa. Knowing I went to ISU, they made the typical jokes about the state. When I told them it's probably because of the 21+ law change, their interest perked up. Of the two I have talked to since, one told me his daughter couldn't come up with a reason why she no longer wanted to go, and one admitted it was because of the change. Both are taking a more active roll in their kid's college selection process now, and telling the other parents they know about it.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
In what may be the best part of the 21+ law, I've talked to a few people who told me their kids and their friends no longer wanted to go to Uiowa. Knowing I went to ISU, they made the typical jokes about the state. When I told them it's probably because of the 21+ law change, their interest perked up. Of the two I have talked to since, one told me his daughter couldn't come up with a reason why she no longer wanted to go, and one admitted it was because of the change. Both are taking a more active roll in their kid's college selection process now, and telling the other parents they know about it.

Sad if true, but may be the case for some.

Guess I'm starting to show my age a bit. That just doesn't make my world go round like it used to.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I thought I remembered there were a few bars in IC that only charged cover to the underage crowd because "they couldn't make money selling them alcohol." So if they're no longer receiving any cover charges, and also no longer serving the underage kids who are most likely to binge drink, I could see that they are losing significant amounts of money.

Serves them right.

william

Dec 22, 2006
But are they paying this to themselves? A lot of business owners own their building/property and rent it to their business...nice wy to pay yourself versus a larger salary. Would be interesting to find out.

Very few of the bars own the building they are in..... The bar owners might very well be in a pinch until new leases can be written. Most of the buildings have been in families for generations.......they are like Iowa farm land. You would be crazy to own a bar in Iowa City at the moment unless you could get a lease that is at a more reasonable rate.

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron