#21 in AP Poll - CYCLONES

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Enough bad games to keep them out of that mix. Hoping this year's team avoids a painful toe stub.
Yep, and I also think this team is benefiting from the positive attention that the previous two earned for ISU.

In regards to 2011-13, it took awhile to gel and we had some bad luck, so I feel like we left a little on the table both years in regards to our talent/potential. Clearly back in 2010 I would be thrilled to even have the chance to think that about NCAA seasons, but we were close to really grabbing some headlines.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Yep, and I also think this team is benefiting from the positive attention that the previous two earned for ISU.

In regards to 2011-13, it took awhile to gel and we had some bad luck, so I feel like we left a little on the table both years in regards to our talent/potential. Clearly back in 2010 I would be thrilled to even have the chance to think that about NCAA seasons, but we were close to really grabbing some headlines.

Adversity is a huge part of life and athletics. It's not the bad things that define your life/season - but how you respond to them.

I feel last year (KU, Ohio State) and this offseason (Bubu, Ejim) - there has been plenty of adversity for weaker men/programs to fold up shop. I love the leadership from the staff and seniors to immediately rebound from this adversity. The win yesterday to me was a line in the sand that no adversity will define this team/program.

I hate what happened to last year's team against KU and Ohio State - but I also can't help but think it's made this group stronger and this season will be so special in spite of it.

AustinHawk

Dec 10, 2009
Wait, so you guys were out of the REGULAR season polls for even longer than Iowa was? Sheesh. I knew Iowa basketball had gotten bad, but didn't realize you guys had been out even longer since you never reached the depths of basketball hades known as the Lickliter era. Anyways, should make for a great game when we meet.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
They're already ranked in the Coaches' Poll. But this thread isn't about Iowa and some of our fans' obsession with them is getting truly embarrassing.

Um, it's kind of your issue if you are embarrassed. And making fun of our in-state rivals isn't obsessive. Every fanbase in the nation with an instate rivalry is the same way. Squawk fan thinking they are superior to ISU in every possible way fuels the fire too.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Wait, so you guys were out of the REGULAR season polls for even longer than Iowa was? Sheesh. I knew Iowa basketball had gotten bad, but didn't realize you guys had been out even longer since you never reached the depths of basketball hades known as the Lickliter era. Anyways, should make for a great game when we meet.

Our coaches were holding hands in basketball hell.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
I will be curious to see how Michigan plays at the end of this week in the Puerto Rico tournament, play Long Beach first who they should beat, then probably VCU and then either Georgetown/K-State...

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
We shot 47.5% to their 42%. If anyone didn't shoot well, it was clearly Michigan, especially down the stretch when they were ice cold. We shot a lot better than Michigan and we shot a lot more free throws at a better percentage, which is why we won.

There's a reason we shot better than them, and its not because they were just missing open shots. We missed plenty of open shots as well. It's because we played good defense.

Regardless, that really isn't a huge difference in shooting percentage. Outside of Long and Stauskas, both teams shot pretty abysmal from 3. Typically when you have a "flukey" win in basketball, there is some statistic that backs that up. A lot of times it's because a team shoots lights out, giving meaning to the adage "Live by the three, die by the three". But that doesn't apply in this case. There isn't a stat to support that. We were the better team last night, and we won the game with defense and by making gutsy plays when it mattered. That's what good teams do

Mumbai1986

Mar 9, 2008
Arlington, VA
So, which ranking will ESPN use? Once you are in the Top 25, ESPN usually shows highlights of your game on sportscenter when you play. If they use AP, we are in, if they use coaches, we are not yet there.

And I'm sorry, but how is Iowa in the top 25 of coaches based on its wins? Even if the coaches filled out their ballots prior to Sunday, how is UNCW, Nebraska-Omaha, Maryland Eastern Shore, and Abilene Christian Wildcats deserving of top 25? I would think Marquette should stay based on the fact they only lost to a ranked OSU team.

Whatever, we'll beat the Hawkeyes and this point will be moot.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Michigan has a brutal non-conference schedule at Duke, Arizona, At Stanford and PR Classic.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Enough bad games to keep them out of that mix. Hoping this year's team avoids a painful toe stub.

Plus not really accomplishing much in terms of big wins in nov\dec when its easiest to make a big move. You beat good teams early and it gives the media a chance to think you belong on a list of good teams early.

Last year we had 3 road\neutral chances early (Iowa, UNLV, Cincy) and we lost all 3. Year before we lost to UNI, Drake, and Michigan. That might be my favorite part of this win, that finally we should (assuming Michigan performs to expectations) have something to point to come tourney time from our nonconference season (which i think the committee overvalues, but it is what it is). That's something we havent been able to say the last couple years, and that combined with some slip-ups in conference kept us from a seed matching our talent level.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
I am really surprised we cracked the Top Twenty-Five this fast. I thought a victory over BYU was in order first. I am glad!

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
So, which ranking will ESPN use? Once you are in the Top 25, ESPN usually shows highlights of your game on sportscenter when you play. If they use AP, we are in, if they use coaches, we are not yet there.

And I'm sorry, but how is Iowa in the top 25 of coaches based on its wins? Even if the coaches filled out their ballots prior to Sunday, how is UNCW, Nebraska-Omaha, Maryland Eastern Shore, and Abilene Christian Wildcats deserving of top 25? I would think Marquette should stay based on the fact they only lost to a ranked OSU team.

Whatever, we'll beat the Hawkeyes and this point will be moot.

I've got two words for you sir: NIT RUNNERS UP

Last edited:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Plus not really accomplishing much in terms of big wins in nov\dec when its easiest to make a big move. You beat good teams early and it gives the media a chance to think you belong on a list of good teams early.

Last year we had 3 road\neutral chances early (Iowa, UNLV, Cincy) and we lost all 3. Year before we lost to UNI, Drake, and Michigan. That might be my favorite part of this win, that finally we should (assuming Michigan performs to expectations) have something to point to come tourney time from our nonconference season (which i think the committee overvalues, but it is what it is). That's something we havent been able to say the last couple years, and that combined with some slip-ups in conference kept us from a seed matching our talent level.

QFT.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Our schedule sets up nicely if we beat BYU. As in probably be ranked sitting at 8 or 9-0 going into the to the Iowa / Hawaii tourney. Which would lead to #12-#18. I think even if we lose and give BYU a good game it won't hurt us too much.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
I can't believe if forgot about this so here you go

"layup after layup after layup after layup after layup after layup after layup after layup after layup"

AustinHawk

Dec 10, 2009
I've got two words for you sir: NIT RUNNERS UP

But still, there's only 5 teams who have played an easier schedule this year. Beating ACU by 60 whatever is nice, but they're one of the bottom 5 teams in the nation. I wasn't expecting Iowa to be ranked until they beat a decent team.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
yyU70hS.gif

This is one if the best things I've ever seen.