2026 College Football Playoffs negotiations

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
ESPN won't have power over the Big10. The Big10 would probably prefer Fox to own the playoff. My guess is the playoff will be split between a couple networks to maximize the rights fees.

Like I said, pretty doubtful the Big10/SEC will control all the elite players. Back in the 80's an undefeated BYU laid claim to National Champs behind a stud QB in Robbie Bosco.

All it would take is a stud QB like Trevor Laurence playing for a non BIG10/SEC team and the debate begins. Especially if the winner of the BIG10/SEC playoff is an underdog.
You are right about the bolded. They will collaborate - B1G, SEC, Fox, ESPN. It's in all their best interests.

As far as a debate - if the guys printing the ink (ie Fox & ESPN) say their non-open championship is the *Real Champion* and the other conferences are lesser, you can't win that argument. And frankly, they will welcome the argument anyway as a) it drives interest and b) it gives them infinite opportunities to puff up their own setup.

I still think it will all separate into 2 divisions. Biggest brands and everybody else.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
They tried to extend/expand it last fall. But the ACC and PAC said no. I believe the SEC said they will do what they want when it comes time to come back to the table, and the others might not like it.

The SEC threatened to go it alone. Nobody really believed it. They're the strongest conference but they're also very regional and they need the other conferences otherwise they risk becoming the NASCAR of college football.

I don't think anything gets resolved on this until 2025. One thing I'm pretty confident in is that ESPN will lose their exclusive rights to the playoffs. Also pretty confident it will be a 12 team playoff. Beyond that, hard to say how the negotiations will shake out.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
The SEC threatened to go it alone. Nobody really believed it. They're the strongest conference but they're also very regional and they need the other conferences otherwise they risk becoming the NASCAR of college football.

I don't think anything gets resolved on this until 2025. One thing I'm pretty confident in is that ESPN will lose their exclusive rights to the playoffs. Also pretty confident it will be a 12 team playoff. Beyond that, hard to say how the negotiations will shake out.
My feeling is everyone will do it the way the SEC and B1G want and no one else will have a say. If it goes to 12 teams they will say those 2 conferences get 10 spots and everyone else gets 2. That was my point. They said they were coming to the table to expand it and willing to be an "equal" to the rest, moreover continue the same management and structure as it has now.

But I took what they said in Jan/Feb was, we tried. Next time we might not negotiate. We might do our own thing, or you might be forced to accept what we want.

As far as anti trust etc. And calling it a National champion. They will just treat everyone outside their chosen conference/s like they treat the G5 now. The top 1 or 2 get in IF they are high enough, then manipulate the media and rankings to their liking every year.

If you guys think its not going to be something like the Power 2, the Intermediate 1, 2 or 3 (whatever we end up with) and the Group of 5, by 2025 you arent paying attention.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron