NFL: ***2023 NFL offseason***

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I have no doubt that it's possible that Chicago would consider it. I just think it would be really, really stupid. The Bears have spent years trying to find a quarterback. And what do they do with Fields? Trade away big pieces on the defense, and surround him with some of the worst offensive talent in the league. His response was to be electric on the field. Yes, they lost a lot of games, but Fields was basically the only thing they had going. He has some room to grow, but he's got star power. How would he look with a decent offensive line? Or some decent wide receivers?

Why do they want to roll the dice on drafting another QB, when they already have something good going with Fields? Which of the draftable quarterbacks is such a sure thing, that it makes them so much better of a prospect? I just don't see it
Jim Irsay has entered the chat:

Reactions: Mr Janny

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I have no doubt that it's possible that Chicago would consider it. I just think it would be really, really stupid. The Bears have spent years trying to find a quarterback. And what do they do with Fields? Trade away big pieces on the defense, and surround him with some of the worst offensive talent in the league. His response was to be electric on the field. Yes, they lost a lot of games, but Fields was basically the only thing they had going. He has some room to grow, but he's got star power. How would he look with a decent offensive line? Or some decent wide receivers?

Why do they want to roll the dice on drafting another QB, when they already have something good going with Fields? Which of the draftable quarterbacks is such a sure thing, that it makes them so much better of a prospect? I just don't see it

If they could get multiple early round picks for Fields, it would be what’s best for them IMO. They have so many holes to fill.

Then, trade the 1st overall, get more early round picks, they could be set up very nicely.

Won’t happen, but it would be fun.

• Agree
Reactions: clone4life82

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Why is trading Fields the consensus strategy? He showed good growth from 2021 when he had Matt Nagy as his coach. After the week 6 game the Bears adjusted the offense and he improved again and the offense was at least competent.

If they actually give him receivers instead of wasting picks trading for the Chase Claypools of the world, they could be a dangerous offense next year.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
If they could get multiple early round picks for Fields, it would be what’s best for them IMO. They have so many holes to fill.

Then, trade the 1st overall, get more early round picks, they could be set up very nicely.

Won’t happen, but it would be fun.

The Bears have their first hint of a competent QB since McMahon.

To even think about trading Fields would be a very Bear thing to do.

Maybe they just need a great defense and rely on the running game. It's worked very well for the franchise

PSYclone22

SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines

Maybe they just need a great defense and rely on the running game. It's worked very well for the franchise
As a Titans fan, they finally had their first great WR since ever and then traded him for a mid 1st because they threw all their cap space at two middling edge rushers. This kind of thing is excruciating.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Why is trading Fields the consensus strategy? He showed good growth from 2021 when he had Matt Nagy as his coach. After the week 6 game the Bears adjusted the offense and he improved again and the offense was at least competent.

If they actually give him receivers instead of wasting picks trading for the Chase Claypools of the world, they could be a dangerous offense next year.
I don't get their strategy with Field or Montgomery.
That line is brutally bad.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center

I’m just cheering for chaos

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

Yeah, dumb. Bears need to focus on upgrading all the pieces around him. FIrst upgrade the OL and then the WRs.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny

Tend to disagree with you there. Fields is a ridiculously good running qb but he lacks accuracy from a throwing standpoint. I don’t think he’s the franchise qb. Above and beyond that (and maybe more importantly) is they need help all over the field and by the time you pull in the talent to actually play (and compete) around fields, will fields even be there?

To me it makes more sense to go get multiple early round draft picks for him. Load up on talent (god knows the bears have 0 receivers, Monty is getting older, the o line might be the worst in the league, their defense allowed the most points/game this year and nearly the most running yds/game). They aren’t going to go from second worst team to playoff caliber next year without massive changes and upgrades. They need good picks to do that.

• Agree
Reactions: somecyguy

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Tend to disagree with you there. Fields is a ridiculously good running qb but he lacks accuracy from a throwing standpoint. I don’t think he’s the franchise qb. Above and beyond that (and maybe more importantly) is they need help all over the field and by the time you pull in the talent to actually play (and compete) around fields, will fields even be there?

To me it makes more sense to go get multiple early round draft picks for him. Load up on talent (god knows the bears have 0 receivers, Monty is getting older, the o line might be the worst in the league, their defense allowed the most points/game this year and nearly the most running yds/game). They aren’t going to go from second worst team to playoff caliber next year without massive changes and upgrades. They need good picks to do that.
They also need to spend the cap money.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
If they traded Fields and the #1 (in different deals) it wouldn't be the craziest thing ever.

I do question what would come in return for Fields however, maybe not as rich of a deal as people imagine.

PSYclone22

SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Fields is a ridiculously good running qb but he lacks accuracy from a throwing standpoint.
From week 7 onward he was 13th in Completion Percentage Over Expected (CPOE, based on modeled player mapping), at 0.6% over expected.

From week 7 onward, he was 17th in Completion Percentage (67.2%) while being 10th in Air yards per attempt (average receiver targeted was 8.7 yards downfield).

He had a higher completion percentage in the back portion of the season than Derek Carr, Josh Allen, Deshaun Watson, Tua Tagovailoa, Aaron Rodgers, Lamar Jackson, Ryan Tannehill, and Russell Wilson.

They changed the offense considerably and he got much more comfortable. Now he gets to keep the same coach and coordinator and hopefully improve the receivers.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
From week 7 onward he was 13th in Completion Percentage Over Expected (CPOE, based on modeled player mapping), at 0.6% over expected.

From week 7 onward, he was 17th in Completion Percentage (67.2%) while being 10th in Air yards per attempt (average receiver targeted was 8.7 yards downfield).

He had a higher completion percentage in the back portion of the season than Derek Carr, Josh Allen, Deshaun Watson, Tua Tagovailoa, Aaron Rodgers, Lamar Jackson, Ryan Tannehill, and Russell Wilson.

They changed the offense considerably and he got much more comfortable. Now he gets to keep the same coach and coordinator and hopefully improve the receivers.

Good points… devils advocate here: if you were to build a team around a qb right now (at this point in their careers), would you pick any of those? Josh Allen would be the only one I would. That’s what the bears need to do is build a new team. Not saying they can’t do it around fields but there are gaping holes everywhere.

In addition to that, when was the last time you saw a running athlete who was a qb (because that’s what fields is, he’s not a qb who will run if needed) win the superbowl let alone make it to the superbowl? Of note, I would consider mahomes a pass first, run if necessary qb (plus he’s a unicorn).

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

A new coach and system is definitely something to consider, I'm sure they know which way they're heading.

PSYclone22

SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Good points… devils advocate here: if you were to build a team around a qb right now (at this point in their careers), would you pick any of those? Josh Allen would be the only one I would. That’s what the bears need to do is build a new team. Not saying they can’t do it around fields but there are gaping holes everywhere.

In addition to that, when was the last time you saw a running athlete who was a qb (because that’s what fields is, he’s not a qb who will run if needed) win the superbowl let alone make it to the superbowl? Of note, I would consider mahomes a pass first, run if necessary qb (plus he’s a unicorn).
If Allen is the only one you would take, how many QBs would you take in the NFL over Fields then?

Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Burrow, Lawrence, Hurts, Dak

That's about it?

Also, we JUST SAW Hurts in a Super Bowl.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
If Allen is the only one you would take, how many QBs would you take in the NFL over Fields then?

Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Burrow, Lawrence, Hurts, Dak

That's about it?

Also, we JUST SAW Hurts in a Super Bowl.
Hurts is not a run first qb and he definitely wasn’t this year. He runs well but they’re not designing multiple run plays for him every game are they? And hurts completes 10% more of his passes than fields. That adds up. I’m can’t tell you how many times I’ve watched fields either airmail balls to open wrs or throw them at their feet.

I would take all of those qbs you mention sans dak. Wouldn’t you? They aren’t going to win a superbowl with fields going up against any of those qbs/teams especially with the supporting cast they have. Why not trade fields, use the high draft picks to start fresh and build the roster with quality draft picks? He’ll they traded roquan smith at the deadline. They know they’re in full rebuild mode.

Reactions: somecyguy

PSYclone22

SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Hurts is not a run first qb and he definitely wasn’t this year. He runs well but they’re not designing multiple run plays for him every game are they? And hurts completes 10% more of his passes than fields. That adds up. I’m can’t tell you how many times I’ve watched fields either airmail balls to open wrs or throw them at their feet.

I would take all of those qbs you mention sans dak. Wouldn’t you? They aren’t going to win a superbowl with fields going up against any of those qbs/teams especially with the supporting cast they have. Why not trade fields, use the high draft picks to start fresh and build the roster with quality draft picks? He’ll they traded roquan smith at the deadline. They know they’re in full rebuild mode.
1) Hurts had more rush attempts than Fields this year. His rush rate was lower than Fields, but he's a running QB and just made the Super Bowl.

2) If the Bears move on from Fields, what's the answer at QB? 5, 10, 30 more years of Jim Miller, Cade McNown, Jay Cutler, Andy Dalton, Nick Foles, Rex Grossman, Erik Kramer? If you've got a great athlete showing improvement, spend the resources on improvements around him rather than giving up. They can trade down from 1st pick and get a lot of good pieces, evaluate Fields with a sufficient team and see where 2023 goes.

Reactions: Halincandenza