NFL: ***2023 NFL offseason***

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The Bears question is pretty simple. Does the GM view CJ Stroud or Bryce Young as a better NFL QB than Justin Fields? If the answer is yes, then Fields is gone. I agree its too early to give up on Fields and has shown promise despite the lack of talent around him, but I'd also be worried about the longevity of his career being a heavy runner.

The last thing I would do if I were the Bears GM is to draft a QB early. I would spend my draft picks on talent to surround a QB in the future. I would cover my bases by taking a QB in rounds 3/4/5 with eye for 2-3 years in future. Plus, if the Bears continue to suck, they will have opportunity to draft a QB in top 10 in 2024/25.

Just not sold on Stroud, Levitt or Young. How is Stroud any different than the last 10 stud OSU QB's? Is Levitt this year's version of Trubisky. Is Young really a sure thing?

Build the roster, they can always find a FA QB to win 4 games in 2023;)

• Agree
Reactions: clone4life82

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The Bryce Young thing will get really interesting, the two camps seem equally divided between he’s the greatest thing ever and he’s terrifyingly small.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
It's either Hope or Insanity. Great Question.
Just my opinion but I believe hitting on a defensive linemen, lockdown cornerback, or a top tier offensive linemen is a much easier thing to do with a high draft pick than hitting on a franchise qb. Why not grab multiple of those in the first round?

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Rodgers has really screwed the Packers.
They've definitely benefited from him, as he's kept them relevant for a long time. Not many franchises can boast the winning consistency that the Packers have had with him as the quarterback.

But with that said, I think it's absolutely justified if that front office feels he's worn out his welcome.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Bears should trade down 1 spot to Houston, then trade down to Indy at #4, and draft Jalen Carter or Will Anderson. Get extra draft picks and one of the two best players in the draft.
The Bears are so talent depleted that trading down for draft picks makes sense. Get another year to figure out if Fields is the answer. Next year's QB class is stronger anyways.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Sad thing is that I see a future where many starting qb's will have a crazy high money contract.
They already do, There's a reason the Patriots had so many successful seasons with Brady. He took less than he could get on the open market so they could get talent.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I know qb is important position but having the qb take up to 20-25% of your salary cap is ridiculous. Like GR8 said there is a reason New England stayed so good so long. Brady continually took less money to let the team spend it elsewhere.
Even if Jones gets this giant contract, his cap number almost certainly won't be anywhere near 20% of the cap. They'll spread that hit over the length of the contract. Even Mahomes, who has a 2023 cap number that is roughly 20% of the cap, isn't likely to remain at that percentage. They'll convert part of it to a signing bonus and the number will come down, even though his actual take home won't.

The way that NFL contracts are reported "5 years, $200 million, average $40 million per year" isn't really a good representation of what they're actually getting paid or how they impact the cap.

Last edited:
Reactions: MeowingCows

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Even if Jones gets this giant contract, his cap number almost certainly won't be anywhere near 20% of the cap. They'll spread that hit over the length of the contract. Even Mahomes, who has a 2023 cap number that is roughly 20% of the cap, isn't likely to remain at that percentage. They'll convert part of it to a signing bonus and the number will come down, even though his actual take home won't.

The way that NFL contracts are reported "5 years, $200 million, average $40 million per year" isn't really a good representation of what they're actually getting paid or how they impact the cap.
My default stance on NFL contracts anymore is that the cap is a figment of our imagination and is largely avoidable by numerous methods. It's just a matter of whether team ownership wants to write the checks or not.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
My default stance on NFL contracts anymore is that the cap is a figment of our imagination and is largely avoidable by numerous methods. It's just a matter of whether team ownership wants to write the checks or not.
Yeah, there are certain situations where teams will get dinged with big dead money hits, but for the most part, teams can continue kicking the can down the street.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron