NFL: ***2023 NFL offseason***

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Hurts is not a run first qb and he definitely wasn’t this year. He runs well but they’re not designing multiple run plays for him every game are they? And hurts completes 10% more of his passes than fields. That adds up. I’m can’t tell you how many times I’ve watched fields either airmail balls to open wrs or throw them at their feet.

I would take all of those qbs you mention sans dak. Wouldn’t you? They aren’t going to win a superbowl with fields going up against any of those qbs/teams especially with the supporting cast they have. Why not trade fields, use the high draft picks to start fresh and build the roster with quality draft picks? He’ll they traded roquan smith at the deadline. They know they’re in full rebuild mode.
Hurts had the most QB carries in the NFL this year. They absolute design a ton of run plays for him

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
1) Hurts had more rush attempts than Fields this year. His rush rate was lower than Fields, but he's a running QB and just made the Super Bowl.

2) If the Bears move on from Fields, what's the answer at QB? 5, 10, 30 more years of Jim Miller, Cade McNown, Jay Cutler, Andy Dalton, Nick Foles, Rex Grossman, Erik Kramer? If you've got a great athlete showing improvement, spend the resources on improvements around him rather than giving up. They can trade down from 1st pick and get a lot of good pieces, evaluate Fields with a sufficient team and see where 2023 goes.
They don’t have enough resources and funds to fix all the other glaring holes though…. Hurts was surrounded with dudes. Dudes in the wr core, a really good offensive line (and maybe one of the best centers in the league). Probably the best defensive line in the game right now. Do you think the bears can get to that talent level in the next two years? I don’t. If you want to argue hurts is a running qb that’s fine. Go back and look through recent history and tell me what other qbs of similar athleticism and running prowess (especially ones that only complete 60% of their passes) made the Super Bowl. Fields won’t get the bears there in the next 2-3 years. The chances his legs/body will last that long running as much as he does and taking hits is slim to none.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
They don’t have enough resources and funds to fix all the other glaring holes though…. Hurts was surrounded with dudes. Dudes in the wr core, a really good offensive line (and maybe one of the best centers in the league). Probably the best defensive line in the game right now. Do you think the bears can get to that talent level in the next two years? I don’t. If you want to argue hurts is a running qb that’s fine. Go back and look through recent history and tell me what other qbs of similar athleticism and running prowess (especially ones that only complete 60% of their passes) made the Super Bowl. Fields won’t get the bears there in the next 2-3 years. The chances his legs/body will last that long running as much as he does and taking hits is slim to none.
So it is super bowl or bust? I mean how but they just aim to be good first and then go from there.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
1) Hurts had more rush attempts than Fields this year. His rush rate was lower than Fields, but he's a running QB and just made the Super Bowl.

2) If the Bears move on from Fields, what's the answer at QB? 5, 10, 30 more years of Jim Miller, Cade McNown, Jay Cutler, Andy Dalton, Nick Foles, Rex Grossman, Erik Kramer? If you've got a great athlete showing improvement, spend the resources on improvements around him rather than giving up. They can trade down from 1st pick and get a lot of good pieces, evaluate Fields with a sufficient team and see where 2023 goes.

At this point it's not a hard bridge to cross if I'm thinking Fields could be on the same level as Hurts. He has the arm talent and obviously the running skills.

Last year is really his first season to show something. Nagy did the organization zero favors.

On your second point... it's even worse than that. This franchise treats their QB almost as an enemy. The first Bears QB I liked was Mike Phipps. We're talking mid-70s forward where this organization throws a Moses Moreno or a Craig Krenzel out there without being ironic.

But they still sell a lot of #34 gear.

(RIP, Sweetness)

Reactions: PSYclone22

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
At this point it's not a hard bridge to cross if I'm thinking Fields could be on the same level as Hurts. He has the arm talent and obviously the running skills.

Last year is really his first season to show something. Nagy did the organization zero favors.

On your second point... it's even worse than that. This franchise treats their QB almost as an enemy. The first Bears QB I liked was Mike Phipps. We're talking mid-70s forward where this organization throws a Moses Moreno or a Craig Krenzel out there without being ironic.

But they still sell a lot of #34 gear.

(RIP, Sweetness)
Bob Avellini and Bobby Douglas don't grow on trees.

• Haha
Reactions: isucy86

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Bob Avellini and Bobby Douglas don't grow on trees.

I really need to have an Avellini jersey made.

The three headed Phipps - Avellini - Evans monster was my introduction to Bears football.

Why didn't my parents stop this???

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I really need to have an Avellini jersey made.

The three headed Phipps - Avellini - Evans monster was my introduction to Bears football.

Why didn't my parents stop this???
You'd have missed the punky QB, playing on cement fields, all head shots allowed.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
So it is super bowl or bust? I mean how but they just aim to be good first and then go from there.
Ultimate goal yes, but you’re proving my point that they have a LONG ways to go to even be good. Why not trade fields for multiple picks since they likely won’t make it that far (even to the playoffs?) in the next two years?

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
From week 7 onward he was 13th in Completion Percentage Over Expected (CPOE, based on modeled player mapping), at 0.6% over expected.

From week 7 onward, he was 17th in Completion Percentage (67.2%) while being 10th in Air yards per attempt (average receiver targeted was 8.7 yards downfield).

He had a higher completion percentage in the back portion of the season than Derek Carr, Josh Allen, Deshaun Watson, Tua Tagovailoa, Aaron Rodgers, Lamar Jackson, Ryan Tannehill, and Russell Wilson.

They changed the offense considerably and he got much more comfortable. Now he gets to keep the same coach and coordinator and hopefully improve the receivers.
I feel like "13th and 17th" isn't exactly something to write home about, but for a guy on a rookie contract, it's good enough to work with. Bears moving away from him would be asinine based on how bad his supporting talent is. He's shown some improvement, now it's time to improve what's around him.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Ultimate goal yes, but you’re proving my point that they have a LONG ways to go to even be good. Why not trade fields for multiple picks since they likely won’t make it that far (even to the playoffs?) in the next two years?
Do you trust the Bears to draft a better QB down the road, then?

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
You'd have missed the punky QB, playing on cement fields, all head shots allowed.

Does the punky QB remember any of that?

I have a piece of the old turf. It's a crime that professional athletes in a collision sport played on that surface.

Keith Van Horn signed autographs at our building. The size of that man was still stunning, but he also can't walk. He's the definition of a broken down man.

Seemed cool, but ball did a number on him.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
The Bears question is pretty simple. Does the GM view CJ Stroud or Bryce Young as a better NFL QB than Justin Fields? If the answer is yes, then Fields is gone. I agree its too early to give up on Fields and has shown promise despite the lack of talent around him, but I'd also be worried about the longevity of his career being a heavy runner.

Reactions: cyfanatic

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I feel like "13th and 17th" isn't exactly something to write home about, but for a guy on a rookie contract, it's good enough to work with. Bears moving away from him would be asinine based on how bad his supporting talent is. He's shown some improvement, now it's time to improve what's around him.
Don’t forget he was 10th in Most INTs this year, 30th in completion percentage and second to last in INT percentage (only being better than dak). He has accuracy issues.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Do you trust the Bears to draft a better QB down the road, then?

Ha! Nope-not at all. Maybe it’s the jaded bears fan in me but I look at all of the qbs they’ve drafted/traded for over the years and don’t see fields being much better. Why not try and sell high and buy low when the bears are clearly in rebuild mode?

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
The Bears question is pretty simple. Does the GM view CJ Stroud or Bryce Young as a better NFL QB than Justin Fields? If the answer is yes, then Fields is gone. I agree its too early to give up on Fields and has shown promise despite the lack of talent around him, but I'd also be worried about the longevity of his career being a heavy runner.

And they will certainly factor into the equation that Bryce Young will give them 2 more years of a "rookie" contract at QB. That might be important as the Bears would be ready to contend right when Justin Fields is in line for a payday and we won't know how good he might be due to a bad (first 2 years) and/or a young (next 2 years) offense around him! I haven't read every post...what are the suggestions as to what the Bears might get in exchange for Fields?

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
And they will certainly factor into the equation that Bryce Young will give them 2 more years of a "rookie" contract at QB. That might be important as the Bears would be ready to contend right when Justin Fields is in line for a payday and we won't know how good he might be due to a bad (first 2 years) and/or a young (next 2 years) offense around him! I haven't read every post...what are the suggestions as to what the Bears might get in exchange for Fields?

I'm guessing Herschel Walker

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Regarding Fields, I'm not as worried about him running as long as he can protect himself. That has been a problem with him. Even when he slides, he does so in a way that he still gets hit and draws a penalty. If he can't learn to protect himself better, he won't last long. He already missed multiple games this season and was banged up throughout when he did play.

Hurts ran a lot more but he was much better about protecting himself. Most of his runs were QB sneaks or designed runs to the edge that he could get out of bounds. That is way different than the style of running the Fields does.

I know that Fields didn't have much for weapons around him, but there were times when injuries forced him to be a pocket passer this season and he couldn't do it.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Tend to disagree with you there. Fields is a ridiculously good running qb but he lacks accuracy from a throwing standpoint. I don’t think he’s the franchise qb. Above and beyond that (and maybe more importantly) is they need help all over the field and by the time you pull in the talent to actually play (and compete) around fields, will fields even be there?

To me it makes more sense to go get multiple early round draft picks for him. Load up on talent (god knows the bears have 0 receivers, Monty is getting older, the o line might be the worst in the league, their defense allowed the most points/game this year and nearly the most running yds/game). They aren’t going to go from second worst team to playoff caliber next year without massive changes and upgrades. They need good picks to do that.
Agree. If the Bears can get 3-4 early round picks or a couple 1/2's, I trade him. The Bears draft/roster build vision has been horrible for a LONG time, especially on offense. When is the last time they hit a homerun on the OL, QB or WR?

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Agree. If the Bears can get 3-4 early round picks or a couple 1/2's, I trade him. The Bears draft/roster build vision has been horrible for a LONG time, especially on offense. When is the last time they hit a homerun on the OL, QB or WR?
Why would giving them more picks to **** up help?