2023 March Madness Des Moines

packattack425

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 25, 2010
Des Moines
Got my two tickets right at 11:00. Center court in the upper level. Should carry a decent resell value if I want to sell.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
The worst part is other cities draw very small number of fans so you can get cheap tickets. Des Moines gets big crowds so they know they can price it high
What venues don't draw like Des Moines?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I went to all of the sessions the first year they hosted. The sightlines behind the basket are terrible in that arena. It's a horrible design for as "new" as it is.

Because the seating was designed with hockey in mind. Basketball was secondary.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Maybe they should have it in cedar falls at their "great" arena. Come on now. If wells fargo was so bad they would not of kept multiple minor league franchises in town and host the state basketball tournament every year. you would think for such a terrible basketball arena the iowa high school athletic union would move it to drake or hilton or something

It's a terrible venue for watching basketball. The redeeming qualities are number of locker rooms, number of nearby hotels (and the skywalk), and the central location.

The setup in the back area was so embarrassing in 2016 they weren't sure if the NCAA would come back.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
It's a terrible venue for watching basketball. The redeeming qualities are number of locker rooms, number of nearby hotels (and the skywalk), and the central location.

The setup in the back area was so embarrassing in 2016 they weren't sure if the NCAA would come back.
I don’t know about the back end stuff like that but there are people that just like to complain about it from a fan perspective. Is it a great basketball arena no but the amount of it sucks for basketball is just moronic. It is perfectly acceptable for basketball from a fan standpoint. As long as attendance continues to remain high it will remain one of the better locations for the tournament too. We don’t need sleepy half filled arenas.

• Winner
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
I don’t know about the back end stuff like that but there are people that just like to complain about it from a fan perspective. Is it a great basketball arena no but the amount of it sucks for basketball is just moronic. It is perfectly acceptable for basketball from a fan standpoint. As long as attendance continues to remain high it will remain one of the better locations for the tournament too. We don’t need sleepy half filled arenas.
On thing I remember about it, was that exiting after an event was a cluster.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
What venues don't draw like Des Moines?

There are a lot of Venues that are a quarter full when the games are being played. That is one of the reasons they try to keep teams in certain areas. So tickets are sold. It still sometimes don't work though. If you watch the games, a lot of tickets go unsold. In Des Moines, they generally sell out.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Because the seating was designed with hockey in mind. Basketball was secondary.

The problem is that they didn't put in retractable seating at the ends like at T-Mobile Arena in KC. The lower bowl has a much steeper pitch so you are much closer to the court. The Well is awful if you are behind the baskets. The fact that they built the Well around hockey seating is a hilarious miscalculation. It's minor league hockey, you don't need seats on the glass on the ends...

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
There are a lot of Venues that are a quarter full when the games are being played. That is one of the reasons they try to keep teams in certain areas. So tickets are sold. It still sometimes don't work though. If you watch the games, a lot of tickets go unsold. In Des Moines, they generally sell out.
Actually, most venues are sold out, they just don't have butts in the seats. Only a certain amount of tickets go on sale to the general public, the rest are all held back for teams and corporations.

Reactions: GoldCy

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Des Moines leaders panicked when there started to be serious talk about moving the state basketball and wrestling tournaments out of DSM and just threw together a not very well thought out building.

It would have been just fine to play basketball in Ames for a few years and split wrestling between Iowa City and Cedar Falls for a few years while they built the right building.

Reactions: GoldCy

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
My problem with Wells Fargo is it feels like you are a million miles away from the court. If I had seats in Hilton and then comparable seats in Wells Fargo, in Hilton I feel closer to the court and in Wells Fargo I feel a long ways away.

This is why I dislike WF.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
My problem with Wells Fargo is it feels like you are a million miles away from the court. If I had seats in Hilton and then comparable seats in Wells Fargo, in Hilton I feel closer to the court and in Wells Fargo I feel a long ways away.

This is why I dislike WF.
I don’t necessarily disagree but that is more because you are comparing to Hilton.

Hilton is an excellent arena for basketball. There are maybe some changes we could do to improve the seats but most of the Hilton issues are with concessions and the concourse.

Wells Fargo Arena has much better concessions and concourses. It’s arena seating could be better but it is adequate especially for an arena that is built for multi use. I compare Wells Fargo and it is comparable to the Sprint Center or whatever it is called now. It is much better than the arena in Omaha. Carver Hawkeye is a disaster. The United Center is better but that is an NBA Arena so I would hope it is better. Even then I didn’t think it was that much of an improvement over Wells Fargo.

Reactions: CycloneEggie

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I don’t necessarily disagree but that is more because you are comparing to Hilton.

Hilton is an excellent arena for basketball. There are maybe some changes we could do to improve the seats but most of the Hilton issues are with concessions and the concourse.

Wells Fargo Arena has much better concessions and concourses. It’s arena seating could be better but it is adequate especially for an arena that is built for multi use. I compare Wells Fargo and it is comparable to the Sprint Center or whatever it is called now. It is much better than the arena in Omaha. Carver Hawkeye is a disaster. The United Center is better but that is an NBA Arena so I would hope it is better. Even then I didn’t think it was that much of an improvement over Wells Fargo.

I get that but I don't go to arenas to eat and walk around the concourses, I go to watch basketball games.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
I went down to watch UNI play in the Sweet Sixteen in Saint Louis back in 2010 and it was incredible. One of my favorite parts of the trip was being able to watch the other teams play that I'd normally never have the opportunity to watch.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
For NCAA tournament games that is a consideration due to the timing of everything.

My larger point is that we are spoiled with Hilton.

I agree I compare other venues to the best (Hilton). Just like any vacation I take gets compared to the best one I've been on (St. Lucia).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron