2023 Football Targets (Offer List in OP +3)

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
We may be inexperienced at rush end/Leo (Singleton and Onyedim have the strongside end covered), but we are distinctly not “thin” there.
I think you're talking about "Defensive Tackle" according to our depth chart. So I guess we're looking for a traditional pass rusher to share snaps with Joey Petersen. Our two deep may look something like:

DT: JR Singleton, Tyler Onyedim
Nose: Isaiah Lee, Dominique Orange, Howard Brown
End/Leo: Joey Petersen, Jefferson Adam

Full faith in coach Rasheed. He's earned it.

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I think you're talking about "Defensive Tackle" according to our depth chart.

Full faith in coach Rasheed. He's earned it.
That would be a “no”. Our depth charts have always listed guys at a 3 technique type defensive tackle, although Coach Heacock rarely plays the four man front nowadays.

At least, the last couple of years.

In any case, the “defensive tackles” annually listed are usually in the rotation at nose, but Singleton and Onyedim are different animals. And Coach Heacock realized a couple years ago that he liked using Enyi to set the edge…next to Isaiah Lee. And since “defensive end” is what Coach Rasheed call that position, I’m going to stick with that.

The actual playing rotation depth chart this Spring will probably be something like:

Leo: Joey Petersen/Ikenna Ezeogu/Tommy Hamann/Sam Same

NG: Isaiah Lee/Dominique Orange/Howard Brown (Zaimir Hawk)

SDE: JR Singleton/Tyler Onyedim/Petersen/Anthony Cunningham

In pass rush situations, I’d guess that Petersen flips to the strongside and Ezeogu comes in at rush end. Assuming that Ikenna doesn’t win the starter spot in the first place.

With five of the guys above either true or redshirt freshmen, what Jefferson Adam would add is seasoned maturity—and someone who can immediately contend for playing time on either side.

Same and Cunningham are both on campus for Spring term, Hawk will add to depth at the nose in the summer. All three—especially Same—probably need a full year of S&C…but enrolling early certainly isn’t going to hurt for those two.

The coaches really like all of these kids. There’s a reason so many upperclassmen defensive ends bailed in the off-season.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
That would be a “no”. Our depth charts have always listed guys at a 3 technique type defensive tackle, although Coach Heacock rarely plays the four man front nowadays.

At least, the last couple of years.

In any case, the “defensive tackles” annually listed are usually in the rotation at nose, but Singleton and Onyedim are different animals. And Coach Heacock realized a couple years ago that he liked using Enyi to set the edge…next to Isaiah Lee. And since “defensive end” is what Coach Rasheed call that position, I’m going to stick with that.

The actual playing rotation depth chart this Spring will probably be something like:

Leo: Joey Petersen/Ikenna Ezeogu/Tommy Hamann/Sam Same

NG: Isaiah Lee/Dominique Orange/Howard Brown (Zaimir Hawk)

SDE: JR Singleton/Tyler Onyedim/Petersen/Anthony Cunningham

In pass rush situations, I’d guess that Petersen flips to the strongside and Ezeogu comes in at rush end. Assuming that Ikenna doesn’t win the starter spot in the first place.

With five of the guys above either true or redshirt freshmen, what Jefferson Adam would add is seasoned maturity—and someone who can immediately contend for playing time on either side.

Same and Cunningham are both on campus for Spring term, Hawk will add to depth at the nose in the summer. All three—especially Same—probably need a full year of S&C…but enrolling early certainly isn’t going to hurt for those two.

The coaches really like all of these kids. There’s a reason so many upperclassmen defensive ends bailed in the off-season.
Thanks for clarifying, Coach Rasheed.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Not that we give two hoots about Nebraska, but on the radio this morning they said the Huskers have 38 total new players and an even 100 scholarships committed for 2023. They have to get down to 85 not until the start of Fall camp.

I have seen posters on here say you can't ever go over 85, but obviously that is not the case. Perhaps the rule changed with the portal, but if this is typical there will be a lot of players with nowhere to sit when the music stops.

Cyclone27inQC

Jun 16, 2010
Quad Cities
Not that we give two hoots about Nebraska, but on the radio this morning they said the Huskers have 38 total new players and an even 100 scholarships committed for 2023. They have to get down to 85 not until the start of Fall camp.

I have seen posters on here say you can't ever go over 85, but obviously that is not the case. Perhaps the rule changed with the portal, but if this is typical there will be a lot of players with nowhere to sit when the music stops.
Nebby will be burning a lot of high school relationships when they go all SEC cutting all these extra players. Burn Baby Burn

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
Or they NIL some and they become "walk-ons"
This was something I was thinking about as well. Rhule seems like the kind of scumbag that would look for loopholes in the system and would have 115 guys on the team, 85 on scholarship and the other 30 as “walk ons” who are making up the difference in NIL.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
This was something I was thinking about as well. Rhule seems like the kind of scumbag that would look for loopholes in the system and would have 115 guys on the team, 85 on scholarship and the other 30 as “walk ons” who are making up the difference in NIL.
If he can give Iowa regular beat-downs, I’ll be cheering for him. Doesn’t affect us.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
I think if nebraska starts having success, Rhule being their coach, and them having one of the largest NIL collectives in the country will 100% affect us
I don't think it does as much as you think. NIL has been prevalent for the last couple years, and NE has still been almost irrelevant. Add in the fact that a few "local" kids flipped from NE to us this year, I don't anticipate NE being an issue, even with Matt Rhule

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

Obviously it is the case.

Those 100 don’t all count until they all enroll in Fall term. By then Ruhl will have chased off fifteen more—and/or some won’t qualify.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Obviously it is the case.

Those 100 don’t all count until they all enroll in Fall term. By then Ruhl will have chased off fifteen more—and/or some won’t qualify.

Obviously Rhule will keep the 40 or so "new" players and have to tell about 18 guys who wanted to stay on the team that they are no longer welcome. Or, as Jeff said above, give those "unwanted" players each $10,000 cash. You know.... for their name, or their image that all the fans will be clamoring for. ;)