***2022 PGA Championship***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Skip Brookline and focus on St Andrews.

The walk isn't nearly as brutal at St Andrews and his vision and experience on that course can make up for the fact he can't hit it the way he used to.

I can definitely see him deciding to just play The Masters in the future as well as a few other courses he likes and forgetting about both Opens and the PGA unless it's Pebble or other special places.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
I follow Golf fairly closely and for whatever reason I think I've barely even heard of Mito Pereira.

Me too. I usually like it when a new guy wins, but just cannot get into a guy I have never heard from that hails from Chile. Not wishing him ill, but hope Zalatoris catches him. (Never heard of him either). Was cheering hard for Bubba today, but he melted.

• Dumb
Reactions: Macloney

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
It's amazing what they've done to that place.
I thought it was a big ballpark and they stretched it another 500 yards and took out a zillion trees (will never support that) and restored all the creeks.

The creeks have come into play as well when it was talked about as probably not being a factor.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
The top four have a combined zero PGA tour wins.
The PGA feels like the easiest to the big name guys so they press too hard. Then you end up with some talented, but obscure guy who ends up with the trophy - Mark Brooks, Beem, Micheel, YE Yang, Keegan, Dufner. Or you have a talented guy who hasn’t been able to withstand the greater pressure of the other 3 majors - Sluman, Azinger, Elkington, David Love, Toms, Jason Day. It’s a big tourney, but so clearly in a different ballpark from the other majors that it kind of warrants an asterisk. And now with the move to May, it really has no identity - the “glory’s last shot” really worked well to establish it. The PGA is just a slightly bigger regular tour event.

Reactions: Acylum

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
The PGA feels like the easiest to the big name guys so they press too hard. Then you end up with some talented, but obscure guy who ends up with the trophy - Mark Brooks, Beem, Micheel, YE Yang, Keegan, Dufner. Or you have a talented guy who hasn’t been able to withstand the greater pressure of the other 3 majors - Sluman, Azinger, Elkington, David Love, Toms, Jason Day. It’s a big tourney, but so clearly in a different ballpark from the other majors that it kind of warrants an asterisk. And now with the move to May, it really has no identity - the “glory’s last shot” really worked well to establish it. The PGA is just a slightly bigger regular tour event.
The majors being done in mid July sucks.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Cam Smith with a 287 yard second shot, from the rough, and drawing it from behind a tree, to about 20'. There are certain things that these guys can do the rest of us just can't.
I just played today and can't even make solid contact consistently yet this season. It's just otherworldly to watch.

I'm sure it's different when you do it every single day for money and a living, I don't, but ...damn.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I just played today and can't even make solid contact consistently yet this season. It's just otherworldly to watch.

I'm sure it's different when you do it every single day for money and a living, I don't, but ...damn.
I played in a simulator league this winter, which did help keep my swing fairly in tune, but I hit down on the ball quite a bit, and that synthetic turf does a number on my elbows. I don't think I'll do that again.

Reactions: MeowingCows

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines

The Players really should be the other major of the year, honestly.

• Agree
Reactions: DSM4Cy