***2024 Minnesota Vikings***

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
It's hard to say until these guys get on the field, but this draft sure felt Spielman-esque. Like Kwesi was trying to be so far outside the box that he thought himself under the table. Kind of like Purdy in the Iowa game this year.
It did seem a little too cute. If his reaches don't play well he's going to start his tenure looking pretty bad.

If I'm the Lions, I keep that **** to myself.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
It's hard to say until these guys get on the field, but this draft sure felt Spielman-esque. Like Kwesi was trying to be so far outside the box that he thought himself under the table. Kind of like Purdy in the Iowa game this year.
I agree a bit. It's hard to say though and will take a couple years until we can truly judge it. Will be interesting to see if there are any changes to the strategy next year.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I agree a bit. It's hard to say though and will take a couple years until we can truly judge it. Will be interesting to see if there are any changes to the strategy next year.
Based on this past weekend, I would be good with a new GM next year.

• Haha
Reactions: Acylum

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
The more I read, the more I like this draft.

If you don't like trading within the division, then I've got nothing for you. It seems like rejecting a trade proposal from a division team that actually helps your own team is just idiotic.

That said, by all accounts, it sounds like Detroit would have given up more for #12, so that was a mistake. No idea how the negotiations went, but it could have been better. If all it was was a first round pick next year instead of #34, then I don't mind it honestly.

Cine sounds like he will be a stud. Love hearing that all the other Georgia players picked him as the 1 guy they'd like to play with. He will either star this year, or play a lot as the 3rd safety when they go with a 3 high safety defense. Long term, he's a backfill for Harrison Smith when they let him go. I haven't heard this for sure, but it sounds like they may have had him higher than Hamilton on their draft board. They did have him ranked in the teens, so they got great value there.

Booth sounds like a great CB pickup and just what they need. I ready at least one place that had him ranked higher than Sauce and Stingley. Could start this year (beating out Dantzler).

Ed Ingram seemed like a reach and has major red flags, but it sounds like the Vikings did their diligence. I'll assume he's a changed person and the Vikings didn't draft a monster. On the football side, he still seemed like a reach, but it sounds like the Vikings OL draft board was different than the consensus. Everyone needs to remember that certain OL fit different schemes better than others (gap versus zone). It also sounds like this staff's zone blocking scheme is different than the old staff's zone blocking scheme so much that their scouts are looking for different attributes in their offensive line. Honestly, with the red flags, I almost feel better about the reach here. It would have been far easier to just let Ingram go and get the next guy on the board, so they must have felt really strongly about his talent and fit. Jesse Davis is no Randall McDaniel, so Ingram would have every opportunity to win a starting spot if he's up to the task.

I love the Asamoah pick. He seems like a great fit as a 3-4 ILB. Sideline to sideline speed and good in coverage. He's probably not beating Hicks for a starting spot, but he will play plenty. Also could be a long term guy to replace Hendricks if they get rid of him.

Evans is a nice depth piece at CB. Seems like the consensus had him ranked lower, but the Vikings must have felt pretty strongly about he fit in their scheme too.

Rounds 5-7 are a crapshoot, so its not really fair to weigh picks in that round at all. I will say that drafting a RB is interesting. Most are saying they will let Mattison go next year, but could they trade Dalvin Cook and go the cheaper salary cap route freeing up space for other needs?

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Based on this past weekend, I would be good with a new GM next year.

I get the feeling that the Wilfs are as responsible for this as anyone. The FO declaration that it isn't a rebuild and the need for stability seems to be over-riding practical personnel decisions. Maybe the coaching staff can pull something off, but it feels like ownership is artificially capping what the FO can do, essentially forcing the team to tread water for the sake of "stability"

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
It did seem a little too cute. If his reaches don't play well he's going to start his tenure looking pretty bad.

If I'm the Lions, I keep that **** to myself.

If he hadn't reached and those guys didn't play well, it would still look pretty bad. Either way, if they don't work out, its just bad scouting.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
That's silly. Not a down played and you're ready to throw in the towel?
It's not about the players we drafted... it's about helping GB and Detroit. That was beyond stupid. If you are gonna help teams you have to play at least 2x every year... FLEECE them.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
It's not about the players we drafted... it's about helping GB and Detroit. That was beyond stupid. If you are gonna help teams you have to play at least 2x every year... FLEECE them.

So, if you make your team 5% better, but you make GB or Detroit 3% better in the process, its a bad trade?

• Winner
Reactions: PSYclone22

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Spielman's grade on the Vikes draft was the same as Mel Kiper-- B-.
Trader Rick didn't like the Ingram pick.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
So, if you make your team 5% better, but you make GB or Detroit 3% better in the process, its a bad trade?
That's just the part we don't know. If the players DET/GB got end up flaming out in 3 years, and ours don't, then we look like geniuses who crushed them. The opposite is also true.

Did DET get a good one? Maybe. But if not, they severely overpaid. GB arguably waited way too long to draft the same position DET paid up for.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
That's just the part we don't know. If the players DET/GB got end up flaming out in 3 years, and ours don't, then we look like geniuses who crushed them. The opposite is also true.

Did DET get a good one? Maybe. But if not, they severely overpaid. GB arguably waited way too long to draft the same position DET paid up for.
The trade I can't stand is allowing Detroit to trade up 20 spots in the FIRST round.... and the Vikings asked for so little in return. It was embarrassing. The Vikings should have received Detroit's top pick next year, as well. Then I would have been fine with it.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
The trade I can't stand is allowing Detroit to trade up 20 spots in the FIRST round.... and the Vikings asked for so little in return. It was embarrassing. The Vikings should have received Detroit's top pick next year, as well. Then I would have been fine with it.
Agree, the should have (and could have) gotten more. The probably could have kept their original 2nd round pick in the deal. Or like you said, get 32 and next year's #1.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006

Pretty sure the Vikings fleeced GB. I like that trade a lot (and what followed it).

• Agree
Reactions: somecyguy

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
.....Cine sounds like he will be a stud.......I haven't heard this for sure, but it sounds like they may have had him higher than Hamilton on their draft board. They did have him ranked in the teens.....

Booth sounds like a great CB pickup and just what they need. I ready at least one place that had him ranked higher than Sauce and Stingley.....
Cine will be a nice safety for the Vikes and I saw the same post draft comments that the Vikings had him in the teens on their board. Didn't think this made any sense unless the Vikes felt their evaluation was an outlier and Cine would still be there at #32.

Also didn't think there was anybody who had Booth in the top two CBs. Hope he works out.

Thought the other comments you had on the VIkes draft were spot on.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Cine will be a nice safety for the Vikes and I saw the same post draft comments that the Vikings had him in the teens on their board. Didn't think this made any sense unless the Vikes felt their evaluation was an outlier and Cine would still be there at #32.

Also didn't think there was anybody who had Booth in the top two CBs. Hope he works out.

Thought the other comments you had on the VIkes draft were spot on.

Wish I could remember where I read the thing about Booth. Being in the top 2 was definitely an outlier. Sporting News had him as #11 overall though (behind the other 2).

I doubt Cine at 32 was the plan, maybe more of a hope. Honestly, I bet they were in talks to move back up in the first round. Not for Cine necessarily, but maybe for others. For instances, they could have made a trade like the Chiefs did to move up to 21 if they had someone they really liked there (21 for 29, 94, 121). Same for pick 23. I was really hoping they would trade up at 26 like the Jets did to get Jermaine Johnson II. The Jaguars moving up to 27 for a 4th and a 6th rounder was another blueprint if they had wanted to. At some point, I bet they were projecting picks and realized they could stand pat and get Cine.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
They should've gotten more for that pick, I agree there completely. They ultimately still got a guy they wanted around there anyway, the used pick was fine....but that price for the 1.12 was too low.

I know they're analytics-focused, but the first round is a place where I'd put some of that to the side of I was in that position. Analytics doesn't and cannot account for desperation moves by other teams and their willingness to overpay. However, for them to overpay, you still have to over-ask. That's where KAM and staff failed here.

Reactions: cytor

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Outlook going into the draft was that they needed an interior offensive lineman and several defensive starters. Drafting someone at 12 would have been great but it seems like Kwesi recognized that there were more needs than resources available so they made the most of the value for the picks they had to fill as many gaping holes as possible.

Would have been great to get more for those picks but nobody got fleeced in either direction.

Not sure how that can be qualified as "bad".

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Outlook going into the draft was that they needed an interior offensive lineman and several defensive starters. Drafting someone at 12 would have been great but it seems like Kwesi recognized that there were more needs than resources available so they made the most of the value for the picks they had to fill as many gaping holes as possible.

Would have been great to get more for those picks but nobody got fleeced in either direction.

Not sure how that can be qualified as "bad".
It can't. Not yet. Nobody should be ready to throw in the towel on a GM, 3 days after their first draft.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee