Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Reading this thread and was pretty sure the Vikings
lost. Who knew?
Admittedly, it looked like they were well on their way to an L for most of the game. Give credit where credit is due, the Lions are improved, so I'll take the win, Cousins made plays when he had to, and Osborn was huge on that last drive.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Admittedly, it looked like they were well on their way to an L for most of the game. Give credit where credit is due, the Lions are improved, so I'll take the win, Cousins made plays when he had to, and Osborn was huge on that last drive.
You think the Lions have the horses to fight for the last wildcard spot?

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Just win, baby. That's basically the only positive.

I'll start with the defense. The secondary is not very good. I'm sure a big part of this is that Cine and Booth are not contributors yet. Will they ever be? Remains to be seen but if not, Minnesota will have to spend lots of draft capital or cap space in free agency on it again.

The pass rush today was even worse. You cannot give an NFL QB that much time, even if you're dropping 7 into coverage. And Detroit also ran the ball pretty well. Donatell's strategy is to play conservatively and wait for a 3rd down opportunity to try to get off the field. I don't see this working against good offenses. You have to actively make plays and create problems instead of waiting for an offense to mess up on 1st or 2nd down to try to jump on them on 3rd. Green Bay in Week 1 is an outlier, but Philly and Detroit are both pretty good offenses and we didn't do much against either.

On offense, I think we have a problem at WR. Thielen is aging and has lost a little edge - it happens. Osborn is not what we hoped he would be on the high end. He is a serviceable, maybe above-average WR3, but he is not a WR2 right now. Irv Smith is maybe a bust and is definitely not a difference maker at this point. We have now seen two straight defenses decide to shut down Jefferson and dare Minnesota to do something else to figure it out. Thank God we were able to do so on that last drive, because before it, we were getting beat by that plan.

After Week 1, I was optimistic that this team would win the North and maybe be a legit contender in the NFC. But I definitely don't think that anymore. I just don't think the roster is as good as we had hoped and had been led to believe. This isn't a team in a "window," and it's not particularly close to one, either. It's not a bad team, but I think it's pretty close to the league median. Around 9-8 with a shot at the #7 seed is my expectation now.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
You think the Lions have the horses to fight for the last wildcard spot?
I don't know. They probably have enough talent, but with Goff at QB and Campbell's suspect decision making, it feels like they're a 7-10 team.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

I'll start with the defense. The secondary is not very good. I'm sure a big part of this is that Cine and Booth are not contributors yet. Will they ever be? Remains to be seen but if not, Minnesota will have to spend lots of draft capital or cap space in free agency on it again.

The pass rush today was even worse. You cannot give an NFL QB that much time, even if you're dropping 7 into coverage. And Detroit also ran the ball pretty well. Donatell's strategy is to play conservatively and wait for a 3rd down opportunity to try to get off the field. I don't see this working against good offenses. You have to actively make plays and create problems instead of waiting for an offense to mess up on 1st or 2nd down to try to jump on them on 3rd. Green Bay in Week 1 is an outlier, but Philly and Detroit are both pretty good offenses and we didn't do much against either.

On offense, I think we have a problem at WR. Thielen is aging and has lost a little edge - it happens. Osborn is not what we hoped he would be on the high end. He is a serviceable, maybe above-average WR3, but he is not a WR2 right now. Irv Smith is maybe a bust and is definitely not a difference maker at this point. We have now seen two straight defenses decide to shut down Jefferson and dare Minnesota to do something else to figure it out. Thank God we were able to do so on that last drive, because before it, we were getting beat by that plan.

After Week 1, I was optimistic that this team would win the North and maybe be a legit contender in the NFC. But I definitely don't think that anymore. I just don't think the roster is as good as we had hoped and had been led to believe. This isn't a team in a "window," and it's not particularly close to one, either. It's not a bad team, but I think it's pretty close to the league median. Around 9-8 with a shot at the #7 seed is my expectation now.
The next few weeks will tell us a lot. Miami is the only truly scary team in the next 5 weeks. The others are New Orleans, Chicago, Arizona and Washington. It would be really nice to get a win in London next week, and then see where things go. 3-2 in the next 5 games is doable. And 4-1 is possible.

Reactions: Acylum

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

I can’t disagree with a single point you made. Unfortunately. Also, Irv Smith is the Spencer Petras of NFL TEs. He should never see another snap with Minnesota.

Last edited:

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I recall lots of Cine love during the preseason.

I think too many are trying to make season long proclamations before they are warranted. Being able to come back in this game shows a lot, maybe not the skill we'd like, but heart. I'll take it for now.

Reactions: stuclone

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Doubt a wildcard comes out of NFC North.
Looking at the Packers schedule I can see them going 12-5. Vikings schedule is much easier, but they are so inconsistent it’s hard telling where they’ll be at years end. Vikings have the talent to be a 11-6 team, but can they do it?

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Looking at the Packers schedule I can see them going 12-5. Vikings schedule is much easier, but they are so inconsistent it’s hard telling where they’ll be at years end. Vikings have the talent to be a 11-6 team, but can they do it?

I don't think the VIkings schedule is much easier than the Packers. They play 12 of the same games, plus each other twice. The other games are that GB has the Bucs, Rams, and Titans (and they already beat the Bucs) while MIN has the Saints, Cardinals, and Colts.

Reactions: isutrevman

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
10-7, 11-6 are certainly doable. Need to win in London.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
They will definitely crap the bed atleast once in a game they should win.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
This is interesting. Tour of the Vikings Food & Nutrition facilities.

Reactions: NWICY

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Vikings take the opening Drive for a TD vs. Saints in London.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron