MLB: ***2024 Minnesota Twins***

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
As much as I like Arraez, it feels a little disengenious to win a batting title while platooning.
Agree the excitement for his accomplishment feels tempered. However, Arraez has a bright future and I sincerely hope he is a Twin for many years to come. I like the core of Miranda, Urshala, Arraez and Gordon (although Gordon needs to learn how to play outfield). Keep Buxton and Kepler. Find a catcher. Trade Punto, and if possible resign Correa - but probably unable.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
As much as I like Arraez, it feels a little disengenious to win a batting title while platooning.
there are minimum at bats. I think this feeling is more so about his second half. He was not the same player after the all-star break (know he is hurt though too). Had he won the title hitting 3.40 which he did in the first half I don't think we feel this way.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Agree the excitement for his accomplishment feels tempered. However, Arraez has a bright future and I sincerely hope he is a Twin for many years to come. I like the core of Miranda, Urshala, Arraez and Gordon (although Gordon needs to learn how to play outfield). Keep Buxton and Kepler. Find a catcher. Trade Punto, and if possible resign Correa - but probably unable.
I think an infield of Lewis, Correa, Polanco, & Miranda is super scary. Then add Arraez to that as platoon. Larnach, Buxton, and Kirrilloff in the outfield with Gordan and Celestino backing them up. That is an extremely dangerous lineup for a long time.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I think an infield of Lewis, Correa, Polanco, & Miranda is super scary. Then add Arraez to that as platoon. Larnach, Buxton, and Kirrilloff in the outfield with Gordan and Celestino backing them up. That is an extremely dangerous lineup for a long time.
Correa is gone, dude.

galactawitz

Nov 27, 2007
Ames
I think that is part of the problem with the Twins right now is on paper, they do have a very formidable lineup. Urshela has also had a quietly good season. To me, if you could get something solid for Polanco in the rotation or at catcher you trade him. He is solid, but he is replaceable and having Arrez in the lineup every day at 2B would be ideal ( I feel 2nd is his best position). OF wise I'm sold on everyone you mentioned besides Celestino. I'm just not sure why, I just haven't been impressed with him.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I think that is part of the problem with the Twins right now is on paper, they do have a very formidable lineup. Urshela has also had a quietly good season. To me, if you could get something solid for Polanco in the rotation or at catcher you trade him. He is solid, but he is replaceable and having Arrez in the lineup every day at 2B would be ideal ( I feel 2nd is his best position). OF wise I'm sold on everyone you mentioned besides Celestino. I'm just not sure why, I just haven't been impressed with him.
He isn't awesome, but as a 4th or 5th outfielder I think he is fairly productive compared to league average. However, you want someone way above league average with Buxton's injury history.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Thanks for the stats, that does put it into perspective better.
He deserves all the credit in the world as the champ. However, you're not totally wrong. I do think he would have had fewer ABs if the lineup didn't completely go to hell in the second half with injuries. But when you are dealing with lineup situations daily where Jake Cave is hitting 6th, there are ZERO scenarios in which you sit a healthy Luis Arreaz.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
He deserves all the credit in the world as the champ. However, you're not totally wrong. I do think he would have had fewer ABs if the lineup didn't completely go to hell in the second half with injuries. But when you are dealing with lineup situations daily where Jake Cave is hitting 6th, there are ZERO scenarios in which you sit a healthy Luis Arreaz.
Only the late to the party analytics guys like Rocco believed Arraez was not an everyday player.
Injuries probably did force Rocco's hand and now he realizes he had a batting champ sitting on the bench.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Only the late to the party analytics guys like Rocco believed Arraez was not an everyday player.
Injuries probably did force Rocco's hand and now he realizes he had a batting champ sitting on the bench.

Arreaz is really pretty bad against lefty pitchers. Having him sit on the bench against LHP and then bring him in as soon as the starting LHP is out of the game makes a ton of sense.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Arreaz is really pretty bad against lefty pitchers. Having him sit on the bench against LHP and then bring him in as soon as the starting LHP is out of the game makes a ton of sense.
Depends what 'really pretty bad' is.

Twins team BA this year is .247.
AL overall BA is .242.
Arraez hit .266 against lefties.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Depends what 'really pretty bad' is.

Twins team BA this year is .247.
AL overall BA is .242.
Arraez hit .266 against lefties.
His OPS is low. Depends on the platoon though. If it's Jake Cave or Mark Contreras, that would be stupid. If it's Kyle Garlicky, it's a no brainer.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
His OPS is low. Depends on the platoon though. If it's Jake Cave or Mark Contreras, that would be stupid. If it's Kyle Garlicky, it's a no brainer.
Garlick hit .243 against lefties and was liability in the field.
Trying to say the AL batting champ should not be an everyday player is an interesting take.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Garlick hit .243 against lefties and was liability in the field.
Trying to say the AL batting champ should not be an everyday player is an interesting take.
Thinking the best measure of a hitter is batting average only is an interesting take.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Thinking the best measure of a hitter is batting average only is an interesting take.
Never said it was the best measure.
Simply disagree with your continuing narrative that Arraez' .266 clip against lefties in today's game is 'really pretty bad'.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Never said it was the best measure.
Simply disagree with your continuing narrative that Arraez' .266 clip against lefties in today's game is 'really pretty bad'.
Where did I say his batting average against lefties is really pretty bad?

Help Support Us

Become a patron