2022 Football post mortem/looking forward

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
IDK about that. Did you see what Nebby had to pay to bring in their latest program fixer?

I don't know enough about football to dissect much. All I can see is that we struggle with the same things all the time and since that outlier 2020, its slid quickly to the bottom of the league. This 'rebuilding' year has left us worse off than in the summer when we were optimistic. If it doesn't look a lot different next year (wins aside, I think a different feel would be evident, well maybe at least 2 in conference!) I'd be fine with CMC leaving.
Yeah, the new "cost" of doing business (i.e. for new contracts) will continue to be ahead of what we are paying.

Heck, we are getting a STEAL for TJ now.

Reactions: Jkclone15

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
If you think about it, no change at HC with Campbell. Then throw in the 5 defensive coaches, that makes 6 of 11. People want Scheels and mouser to stay, that is 8 of 11. Doubt manning goes, so at most we are talking 2 out of 11 coaches are different. Maybe a couple coaches coach different things, but that isn’t big changes. So it’s not too difficult to come to that conclusion

And the 2 men out are the OL Coach and the QB Coach/Passing Game Coordinator. Definite problem areas. Most likely to be dismissed.

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
With JP as our Athletic Director IT MAY BE 3 OR 4 more YEARS!!
...and remember CMC will not FIRE ANY OF HIS BUDDIES!!
If Campbell is a remotely decent manager/supervisor, he doesn't have any buddies to fire. A supervisor can be a mentor, compassionate, family-friendly, but NOT a friend.

A supervisor who employs friends is stupid, and Campbell isn't stupid. Stubborn, control freak, sure. Stupid, no.

Give it a frigging rest

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Harbaugh hired new staff, incorporated new schemes, and became a CEO, rather than micromanaging.

And thats what Matt needs to do. He has to become the overall leader, let the coordinators do their jobs and just manage their performance.
He can still get involved with players and their development, growth, and maturity - I think thats what makes CMC tick anyway. But he has to add "winning games" to the list of goals too, and take actions to make that happen.

Reactions: Die4Cy

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
You might want to listen to it. According to Nick, Campbell was fine with the STs play this season.
IF thats true, and he actually thinks that, (as opposed to coach speak so as not to publically throw people under the bus), then... he has to go, now. You cant be blind, stupid, or willfully ignorant and lead an organization of this size and complexity.

Fwiw, i HIGHLY doubt he thinks it is fine. Im 99.99% sure he just doesnt want to throw his freshman kicker and the other coaches into the volcano.

But im not 100% sure.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
IF thats true, and he actually thinks that, (as opposed to coach speak so as not to publically throw people under the bus), then... he has to go, now. You cant be blind, stupid, or willfully ignorant and lead an organization of this size and complexity.

Fwiw, i HIGHLY doubt he thinks it is fine. Im 99.99% sure he just doesnt want to throw his freshman kicker and the other coaches into the volcano.

But im not 100% sure.

I'm likely reaching way too far but football is feeling a little 'Prohmy' right now.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
This is the dumbest take on here.
It is actually the best take on here. By far.

What, you wanted to give McDermott MORE years?

If your coach has the most talented team in a generation, one that just played in the conference championship game the year before, and claim that winning the conference wasn't one of your goals, well, you gotta cut bait at that point.

You can't fail that badly with that much talent, and then follow it up with a one win conference season, and repeatedly looking unprepared and unable to adjust, both in-game and in-season.

People need to drop any emotional attachment and realize yesterday's gone.

Matt leaving on his own, now, is the best thing for everyone at this point.