2022 Football post mortem/looking forward

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
At least we don't have a thread like this:

"Nebby just bought a shiny Escalade; Wisky just bought a Porsche; our (Iowa's) offense is still a ‘74 Dodge 4X4 with a rusty bed and a few bent wheels.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
CMC voluntarily to Cincinnati is the best possible outcome at this point. ISU gets out of this albatross contract and can hopefully find someone—anyone—who doesn’t make the same mistakes for 7+ years.
IDK about that. Did you see what Nebby had to pay to bring in their latest program fixer?

I don't know enough about football to dissect much. All I can see is that we struggle with the same things all the time and since that outlier 2020, its slid quickly to the bottom of the league. This 'rebuilding' year has left us worse off than in the summer when we were optimistic. If it doesn't look a lot different next year (wins aside, I think a different feel would be evident, well maybe at least 2 in conference!) I'd be fine with CMC leaving.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Posted in another thread but probably fits better here:
If you want to ruin your day, take a listen to Nick Osen on this morning’s Miller and Condon. Long story short, nothing will change re STs and don’t expect a lot of changes overall. He’s usually pretty tuned in too. Unfortunately.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Posted in another thread but probably fits better here:
If you think about it, no change at HC with Campbell. Then throw in the 5 defensive coaches, that makes 6 of 11. People want Scheels and mouser to stay, that is 8 of 11. Doubt manning goes, so at most we are talking 2 out of 11 coaches are different. Maybe a couple coaches coach different things, but that isn’t big changes. So it’s not too difficult to come to that conclusion

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneworld

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm starting to think there might be some real smoke about Campbell to Cincinnati. He gets a fresh start, move his family closer to home, and ultimately doesn't have to deal with the headache of firing his best friend and possibly ruining a friendship. It is too easy of a decision for him to make, if the rumors are true. Or, he could be a man, and come back to Iowa State and own up to the poor decisions he has made that have led the program to where it is today...back where he found it in 2016.

LAClone

Apr 26, 2010
I'm starting to think there might be some real smoke about Campbell to Cincinnati. He gets a fresh start, move his family closer to home, and ultimately doesn't have to deal with the headache of firing his best friend and possibly ruining a friendship. It is too easy of a decision for him to make, if the rumors are true. Or, he could be a man, and come back to Iowa State and own up to the poor decisions he has made that have led the program to where it is today...back where he found it in 2016.

He’s probably going to leave because some people are starting to say mean things about him on a message board. :rolleyes:

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Outside of this board have you actually seen any rumors? Even a random wandstedt tweet?

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Not the main takeaway here, but Hanika needs to be more involved. He made some really impressive plays this year pretty much any time he was called on.
Not sure how good of a blocker Hanika is as I am not good at evaluating that skill set. However, it’s clear that he is a very good receiver.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
If you think about it, no change at HC with Campbell. Then throw in the 5 defensive coaches, that makes 6 of 11. People want Scheels and mouser to stay, that is 8 of 11. Doubt manning goes, so at most we are talking 2 out of 11 coaches are different. Maybe a couple coaches coach different things, but that isn’t big changes. So it’s not too difficult to come to that conclusion
You might want to listen to it. According to Nick, Campbell was fine with the STs play this season.

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017
Bruce Feldman/The Athletic listed Matt Campbell to get most "serious consideration" for the job in their recent article - but nothing specific in regard to discussions taking place.
They would be dumb to not make the phone call. It wouldn't make sense for him to switch unless he really really wanted to move back to Ohio.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Bruce Feldman/The Athletic listed Matt Campbell to get most "serious consideration" for the job in their recent article - but nothing specific in regard to discussions taking place.
They should also seriously consider Saban, Smart and Harbaugh.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron